ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people voided there warranty on or before 5k miles, I put on my catback exhaust and now it is over, I want to in the next month or 2 do an uppipe, cobb stage 1, and rear sway, but I am only at 4k miles and curious, if I had any big engine problems wouldn't they have shwon up by now or should I wait a little longer before voiding my warranty?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
some dealers allow minor bolt ons without voiding warranties. Mine told me as long as future warranty work is not caused directly by installed product. But otherwise, mine is stock. 230 or so at the wheels is enough for me.:D

·
"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout"
4,124 Posts
Don't forget though, if it voids the warranty, it will only void it on stuff related to the exhaust or whatever. Everything else will still be covered. :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
ero2 said:
How many people voided there warranty on or before 5k miles, I put on my catback exhaust and now it is over, I want to in the next month or 2 do an uppipe, cobb stage 1, and rear sway, but I am only at 4k miles and curious, if I had any big engine problems wouldn't they have shwon up by now or should I wait a little longer before voiding my warranty?
It is completely dealer dependent. Some will allow light mods, some have a strict no mod policy, and I don't think any allow heavy mods. Many have "voided" their warranty, however that does not mean that your entire warranty is null and void. It simply means that they will investigate each and every case you have and determine whether you deserve warranty. It will most likely be a more timely process with poor end results. Thats why everyone strives not to make it on the list.

I wouldn't be too worried about something going wrong on your new car in stock form; you should be more worried about improper installation of new mods and/or a bad tune hurting your car especially with only 4000 miles. As soon as you hook it up with the aftermarket, you increasing your chances of hurting something. But several have done it without a problem. Its all about how much your warranty is worth to you. Just be prepared.

·
Registered
816 Posts
i called the service manager today and he said that a cat-back would void my warranty and i asked him "wouldnt the warranty only be voided if a problem was linked to it. Like if the suspension had a problem, would you void the warranty because of the exhaust." He said yes and i was like WTF. because a couple days earlier he said that it can only be voided if the problem is caused by an aftermarket part. I would just switch it back up with the stock pieces if my dad wouldnt get mad because id basically be lying to the dealer. Im just wondering, how often has a cat-back caused a problem for anyone with warranty or engine problems

·
Registered
816 Posts
i was just looking at another post on this site and someone said that you could just take your car to another dealer if it needs fixing up. Will they service it as well as your normal dealer will, and wont they contact your original dealer or should it be all good. cuz i know of a mod friendly dealer in my area

·
Registered
647 Posts
just be careful, my subaru dealer wanted to void my warranty because i had a radar plugged into the ciggerette lighter. GHEY! oh it was because a fuse blew and they wanted to say it was the radar, only it wasnt because i had it on for 5K miles before it happened. and it was on my other car for 20K miles and nothing...there just idiots.

·
Registered
816 Posts
the magnuson-moss thing says that a dealer cannot void the warranty unless it is clearly and conspicuosly stated in the warranty papers that they can void it whenever they want. look at your papers first

·
Registered
816 Posts
sound cool. i would have bought my suby there if i didnt have to drive like 10 hours there and back

1 - 11 of 11 Posts