ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey whats up guys maybe someone could help me out i searched and could not find anything. So i got the 80k extended warranty but now cant fight the urge to do some simple mods. I did the kartboy sts and all shifter bushings but i want more. I want to do an exhuast since everyone says you can do a catback/axleback without a tune and im not paying 2k for the spt exhuast. My dealer is being weird about it saying if i did ANYTHING aftermarket it WONT VOID my warranty but says every claim i try WILL BE DENIED no matter what it is which is unreasonable. So my question is so for if some reason they want to deny a claim due my catback/axleback can i demand the money i paid for the 80k extended warranty since it will be completely useless cause they will just deny everything?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,471 Posts
Check the terms of the agreement. If it is not in writing it generally does not exist.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
You can cancel the warranty & get a refund if you cancel the extended warranty before a specific mileage/duration specified on the contract.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay i just hit about 500 miles its still brand new and it is in writing ill try to go through all the paperwork and find it. So i could basically cancel anytime before the factory 30k is over? Also took the car in today to put in the spt boost gauge luckily its free labor cause it was part of the deal hopefully they dont see the kartboy sts and try and harrass me over it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess just something that the dealership wants you to think existed but in reality doesnt. Its not like im trying to put a BOV or CAI in it and flashing there ECU. I just want some sound!

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
Your dealer is way off on his claims. The only way a modification can be used as a reason to deny a warranty claim is if they can connect the problem to the modification. An axleback exhaust will have no impact on anything other than the exhaust sound, and really there is nothing they can deny based on that. If you go turboback or downpipe, that requires a tune and could lead to a warranty claim denial if they can connect the fault to the modification. That said, they can not deny you an unrelated claim - suspension, transmission, etc.

If your dealer is going to be difficult, you have to make a choice. A) Make your mods, fight the battles if needed, and accept that you may not get warranty coverage - pay to play; B) Don't mod and wait out your warranty, giving you full worry-free coverage; C) sell back your extended warranty and do what you want.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Okay i just hit about 500 miles its still brand new and it is in writing ill try to go through all the paperwork and find it. So i could basically cancel anytime before the factory 30k is over? Also took the car in today to put in the spt boost gauge luckily its free labor cause it was part of the deal hopefully they dont see the kartboy sts and try and harrass me over it.
not 30k miles.There is a specified duration/mileage indicated on the warranty contract before which you have a chance to cancel the warranty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys. Will try to sell back the 80k coverage just didnt know if that was an option or not. Any suggestions on exhuast?

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
It is highly advisable that you listen to an exhaust first in person first before making a decision.You can try looking at your local area meets.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
warrantylololol

·
Registered
344 Posts
The more I read about mods, the less I care about my warranty!

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,731 Posts
Also something to consider about a cat/axle back...Aren't exhaust systems listed as something like brakes/tires, like a wearable item (due to rust or w.e) and thus could be replaced without issue. I agree on the dp and tune, but a simple catback as a "replacement" shouldnt cause too much issue.

Also, your dealership is a **** lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also something to consider about a cat/axle back...Aren't exhaust systems listed as something like brakes/tires, like a wearable item (due to rust or w.e) and thus could be replaced without issue. I agree on the dp and tune, but a simple catback as a "replacement" shouldnt cause too much issue.

Also, your dealership is a **** lol
Yeah i think the service manager just did not know what he was talking about. He was talking about CAI and stuff saying how those always get people on there warranty. I told him im not trying to get a CAI cause you need a tune just an exhuast and he said it would be the same outcome of a claim being denied. Starting to get over the whole warranty deal but watch something is going to happen and ill be screwed just my luck haha.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Haha yeah ive been forgetting about the warranty for a while now

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
Never having had a warranty before, I'm doing my best to not threaten it. It's tough though, I keep hearing how going stage 1 or two will improve fuel economy. Also, I'm past my honeymoon period and I want smoother power delivery. The extra power will just be a bonus ;)

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
You already looked at the car?

no warranty for you!!1

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
:rotfl:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow you paid for extended warranty. Go get that back if possible, Here my local dealer get ready for this "lifetime warranty" on all cars they sell, Granted you don't mod it. But its free lol.

And the way the warranty works is they cant void your entire warranty for a mod, just that specific claim. Say you did the catback and for some reason the dash lights go out or the windows don't work. They still would cover the dash lights and the windows. To deny a claim what ever is the problem has to be a direct result of what was modded.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My dealer was actually more helpful then i thought. The service manager was just the wrong person to talk too. The sales manager however was very helpful probably because he just sold me a car. But he said he understands about wanting to mod the car and offered me every part i would ever want at there cost whether or not its really much different that is. Also told me of a different subaru dealership nearby that actually has an awd dyno and gets more into the performance aspect of the cars. So looks like ill check them out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts