ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems like something that would have been brought up several times, but I can't seem to find anything in my searches. Don't flame me too much if it's been brought up before :)

Just bought my first Subaru ever, a 2011 WRX 5 Door. She's perfect, white base model, so fun.
I decided to buy the extended warranty that my dealer offered. 100k, completely without thinking that I may not be able to modify the car while in warranty... Did I just throw myself into a 'no tuning grave' for 100,000 miles? What am I allowed to do, mod/tuning wise, to my car while it's under warranty? (bites nails)

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,568 Posts
These agreements are two-way. They agree to repair and replace any failed parts for a period of time provided that you agree to maintain the car on time and use the correct parts.

What most people call "mods" means using incorrect parts, at least with respect to the agreement.

If you use incorrect parts and they fail, you're on your own. If they cause other parts to fail, you're also on your own. People will respond that the dealer has to prove all this, but in effect the dealer doesn't have to prove anything; all they have to do is say "no" and you're then left with a car that's not repaired and a legal problem or at least a hassle.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,568 Posts
Like almost anything, it's a tradeoff. Look at cost:benefit I suppose and decide. However, keep in mind that any decision you make may cost more $ than you had initially thought -- that's also part of "the deal" much as I hate it.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
The furthest id probally go is a stage 1 map via access port, spt exhaust, and spt intake... they still might be able to tell that it has been reflashed with the ap, but if you unmarry it to the car it should put the ecu back to the stock map... good luck, you should be able to get a refund for the difference of the warranty...

·
"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre"
2,190 Posts
Truthfully, it is up to the dealer. I made it "almost" a week before I started modding my car - LOL

I had a wheel bearing replaced, even though my car had been lowered.

I've had a dealership tell me that since the VF39 and an STI intercooler are "subaru" parts, that I was ok.

I've also had a dealer tell me that an SPT intake could void warrantees, due to lean condition.

????

Nevertheless, your best bet might be to just talk to the dealer that you plan on doing any "future" work, and see what they say.

Another thing to consider..... is that aftermarket parts could only void the warrantee on failures directly related to the installation of that part.

For instance..... installing a TBE isn't going to void the warrantee on your electrical system, you know?

Long story short..... gotta pay to play. You need to be prepared for the worst, hopefully it never happens though.

·
Registered
863 Posts
The furthest id probally go is a stage 1 map via access port, spt exhaust, and spt intake... they still might be able to tell that it has been reflashed with the ap, but if you unmarry it to the car it should put the ecu back to the stock map... good luck, you should be able to get a refund for the difference of the warranty...
There is no SPT intake for the 3g's. But yeah, I agree that if you want to keep the warranty 99.9% intact stage 1 is the limit.

Truthfully, it is up to the dealer. I made it "almost" a week before I started modding my car - LOL

I had a wheel bearing replaced, even though my car had been lowered.

I've had a dealership tell me that since the VF39 and an STI intercooler are "subaru" parts, that I was ok.

I've also had a dealer tell me that an SPT intake could void warrantees, due to lean condition.

????

Nevertheless, your best bet might be to just talk to the dealer that you plan on doing any "future" work, and see what they say.

Another thing to consider..... is that aftermarket parts could only void the warrantee on failures directly related to the installation of that part.

For instance..... installing a TBE isn't going to void the warrantee on your electrical system, you know?

Long story short..... gotta pay to play. You need to be prepared for the worst, hopefully it never happens though.
All very good points. I've researched the whole "what is covered under warranty" topic to the nth degree and sounds like it all comes down to the dealer's interpretation of the warranty and what kind of relationship you have with the dealer. Also don't forget that big repairs usually have to be verified by the regional rep so the dealer could be on your side and the rep could say no.

OP: if you think you might mod you should investigate ditching the extended warranty. You might be able to get your money back (likely with a penalty) so it is worth a shot. Besides, those warranties are often crap if they're offered by a 3rd party. In fact, I know someone who bought one for a Dodge Dakota a few years ago and when they submitted a claim the company was bankrupt. :thumbdown At that point you take a number with the states attorney and hope you get a couple bucks back (literally, a few dollars) after the bankruptcy is settled.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Wouldn't you have had 5 years on the drivetrain anyways?
Meaning even if you didn't buy that extended warranty and wanted to add any kind of power adding mods you would be in the same boat.

As someone told me, "you gotta let go of your warranty sometime."

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm scared of this as well but I went ahead and flashed to an OTS stage 1 map from Cobb. Gonna leave it at that for as long as I can stand it.

Should I be flashing my ECU to the stock map when I take the car in for oil changes or whatnot?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Your call. If the dealership has no reason to be mucking around in the ECU they won't, meaning that if you're in for an oil change they will probably just change the oil. However, there is the remote chance that Subaru will offer an update to the map and they would flash the ECU. On the other hand, every time you reflash you run the risk of something going wrong and bricking the ECU.

:wiggles:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts