ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! My 2012 WRX PBP 5 door I ordered should be in on Jan 17th. The opinion I would like from everyone is whether the 7 year/100k warranty is worth getting? My plans for the car are a Cobb AP for stage 1, leaving the stock intake on for a while. Thats really the only power add on I plan on doing for some time since it is my DD. I will be doing suspension upgrades like sway bars and possibly lowering .5 in or so to get a more aggresive look. I've also got the SPT Turbo Heat Shield and STI STS with rallitek front bushing and STI rear bushing. Any experiences/opinions will be very helpful!! Thanks everyone!

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
If you plan on modifying the car, an extended warranty is a waste.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Thats a tough question to answer.How much for the warranty.

The warranty actually restricts you from modding the car.There is no telling if you decide to do something more to the car in the next 7 years.

If you plan on modding then naturally there isn't much use of the warranty should something go wrong & they deny your claim.

Your decision to make.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess my question is how easy is it for the dealership to tell that I have remapped if I use the Cobb AP to go back to my "stock" mapping?

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
I guess my question is how easy is it for the dealership to tell that I have remapped if I use the Cobb AP to go back to my "stock" mapping?
Very.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you flash the stock map and uninstall the device all they can tell is the ecu was reset. Tell them you unplugged your battery for some reason and dont put the friggin cobb stickers on your car and they wont know.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the only stickers goin on my car are the SPT stickers that come with the Turbo Heat Shield.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
If you are not planning on modding, and you can get a really good deal (and I mean real REALLY good deal) on the extended warranty, then it is worth a second thought, otherwise it is a total waste.

I have heard of some dealers throwing in the 7yr/100K for a song as a bargaining chip to get you to sign, but this would be unlikely this soon into the 2012 MY. Besides, it would be better to get a deal that brought the price down rather than gave free warranty extensions.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Soon as it comes in ima be putting the heat shield on and putting my sti sts with rallitek bushings on it. Should get it on the 17th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't remember how much the warranty is and don't have the papers with me at work. Thanks for the input everyone though. I still have ~17 days to decide what I'm going to do.

@Rage, I'll let you know what becomes of the heat shield.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The heat shield fits. Pics will be up in my build thread later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
The warranty is MUCH more expensive than what you pay for at time of purchase.

I bought the extended one on my '07 - I was new to Subaru and new to turbo and I was able to get 7year/100K for $800.

The $800 was cheap compared to the required maintenance to keep the warranty valid.

Ask your dealer what they charge for:
30K mile tune-up (mine was $600)
60K mile tune-up (mine was $900)
90K mile (I sold mine before this).

In the 4 years I owned the car, I had an MAF go - $600 to replace. IMO, the warranty was nowhere close to being worth it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts