ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a word of caution for those of you who have cars under warranty and are autocrossing or modifying your vehicles.

I was intending to install a turbo timer on my new STi but after reading an article in Auto Week about the effect of modifications and competition on manufacturers warranties, I contacted my dealer to see if there would be a warranty issue. I was informed that this installation would void the warranty. I think this is likely true of most modifications and they confirmed that sanctioned comptetion would also void the warranty. I did ask about performance driving schools (DE) and that seems to be okay since they are not timed or competitive events. I would, however, check with your dealer before making that assumption.

Just be careful what you do if the warranty is important.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good sound advice, but why would you want to put a turbo timer into a STi or any newer subaru turbo car? The turbo is loacted up high and with the thermal effect of the water it cools itself down after shutting off the car?

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
yes we all know about the stupid warranties...it depends who you go to in the end. A turbo timer would be a wise investment, either way, subaru claims the coolant still circulates...who knows if it does or not..better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
yup turbo timers void warranties. Had a short chat with some guys on Nabisco and each of their dealerships told them same with the exception of 2 guys who got lucky and the dealer told them if they installed it... they would cover it. Just unplug the harness if you bring it in for warranty work. And yes I've heard of the physics of the cooling of the turbo without the need of the tt. But better safe than sorry. Thats why I use synthetic oil like everybody..... safer than sorry.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
I figure what the hell. 55k and climbing. now's the time to mod. warrenty in 5k needed not likly. just wish i had more cash to do it.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
if you fawk over your tranny and your bone stock except for turbo timer you could put a nice lawsuit on the table if they void your warranty..now if you mess up somthing electronic with turbo timer than i can understand them not repairing it...saying a turbo upgrade caused ur engine 2 blow or tranny 2 blow is reasonable.....idk how a turbo timer would have anything to do with tranny problems etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts