Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this qualifies as wheels...

So a lesson learned the hard way a deep well or extension is required for th factory 18" wheels on my 2016 wrx. :rolleyes: I was taking off the winters this weekend. I torque down the first lug nut and see too late as the handle of the torque wrench peels off the paint in a spot. :whoa:
The breaker bar swiveled so there was no issue there but when I pulled out the torque wrench there was not enough clearance. The snow wheels were close but longer lugs helped them out I guess so I didn't expect an issue.

The paint didn't scratch it peeled off like the skin of an orange. It is super soft. Now I've got a roughly 1/2 in[SUP]2[/SUP] bare spot to deal with. Any tips on color-matching the ?anthracite?, dark wheels?

Not sure why I didn't get either my normal 1/2 drive sockets or my impact sockets in deep well.

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
Take it to a professional body shop. That's the best I can recommend. Home game solutions typically don't have as good of a result for large damage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but this is a daily driver not a show car. I expect a few scratches and dings over the years. Just expected less self inflicted:rolleyes:
My main concern is sealing the wound. I can imagine it could spread if moisture or whatever gets under the paint.

Although the wheels would look a little cooler in black... I'll probably wait till there are a few more incidents before I go that far though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If these are factory wheels they may be covered by warranty right for paint peeling? Haven't looked too much into the warranties so don't quote me on that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts