ClubWRX Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
BPMs do have a cat and a resonator in the midpipe. So I believe you.

As for your inspection... if you were tested at 1118, that means it was probably an idle test. So you're lucky. You don't live in a state that does advanced smog testing.
I made sure to drive around for a while to warm it up to be safe, because on a cold morning it smells like a gas station. :) After it was done, I talked to the tech and asked specifically what they did out of curiosity. In CT, because it is an AWD car made after 1996 there was no dyno test - just a visual and ODBII - dont rememebr anything about a sniffer.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I made sure to drive around for a while to warm it up to be safe, because on a cold morning it smells like a gas station. :) After it was done, I talked to the tech and asked specifically what they did out of curiosity. In CT, because it is an AWD car made after 1996 there was no dyno test - just a visual and ODBII - dont rememebr anything about a sniffer.
They don't do sniffers on OBDII cars much anymore. They only check for codes and check that all monitors have tested and passed. I did wonder how a flashed ECU dealt with monitors, I guess I know now, good deal!

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
jd92677 said:
They don't do sniffers on OBDII cars much anymore. They only check for codes and check that all monitors have tested and passed. I did wonder how a flashed ECU dealt with monitors, I guess I know now, good deal!
You can disable codes and force readiness with Romraider.

·
Registered
33 Posts
if you are really that concerned perrin makes a two section down pipe with two high flow cats but if you really want power go get a catless down pipe for half the money n keep ur old down pipe the swap once a year take s a hour tops just man up n do it

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey guys just a heads up from my expirience with the unhappy emmissions booths in Washington is that the tests are more strict based on regional population. So say in Seattle the test is very strict and in Po-Dunk eastern washington emmissions aren't required. I don't know if that applies country wide, but it is something to keep in mind for you area when getting ready for your car's next prostate exam.

·
UnBanned
17,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
That's true here in colorado too.

·
UnBanned
17,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
our state doesn't have shops do it. There are state ran testing stations.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
^^ Not necessarily... Any turbo subaru has high EGTs... but NA blocks do not. For some reason the 2006/07 2.5 Imprezas do have high NOx... but only in cold weather. There was something up at the testing station regarding the 2.5 Impreza from 06/07
What does the a/f and timing mapping look like? cold air and not enough low temp fuel compensation+some advance on the timing and nox output will climb pretty fast.

·
Registered
63 Posts
my car came catless, but i figured why pollute the environment for a 1% gain? and the smell was bad, and iit was too loud for my tastes.

so i added a vibrant racing cat and i like it alot better.

its a win-win! 99% of the performance of catless, with a 90+% reduction in emissions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I disagree that it would be more stress on the grid, most people would charge their cars during off peak times, when the plants are producing much more power than is demanded and therefore using power that is otherwise discharged by the power company. The electricity is being generated off-peak whether we are using it or not and that is one of the largest inefficiencies of the power grid so we would actually be creating a more efficient infrastructure by using this power.
qfp..........

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
this thread is amusing. back in the hey day i had a 2002 wrx running a CAI, and 3" TBE.

had the uppipe factory cat, and 1 highflow cat on the downpipe. passed in cali.

now trying to determine what to do for '11 sti sedan. just started researching today

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to clarify, AWD Subarus in California do not receive a dynamometer test (all dynos are 2wd.) In which case, NOx cannot be measured. Keep in mind there is also a visual inspection for your catalytic converters and any replacement has to be CARB certified to pass!

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,331 Posts
NOx is measured, however the car is static. This means there will be no load on the motor when the car is revved. This should help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I just moved to Denver from Colorado Springs (which doesn't have emission testing) and I was planning on get a catted DP just to pass emissions. It would seem that is a waste of time and money. I'm now wondering if I even want to get a DP. I'm now just thinking about an intake and a tune from a local shop. My question is: Is a intake and a tune even worth it? Will I see any noticeable power gains? I own a 2010 WRX.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
So I just moved to Denver from Colorado Springs (which doesn't have emission testing) and I was planning on get a catted DP just to pass emissions. It would seem that is a waste of time and money. I'm now wondering if I even want to get a DP. I'm now just thinking about an intake and a tune from a local shop. My question is: Is a intake and a tune even worth it? Will I see any noticeable power gains? I own a 2010 WRX.
You'll see some power, but obviously not like going to Stage 2. Stage 1 tune with the intake will increase your boost some as well as just smooth out the powerband nicely. It will improve the driveability quite a bit IMO.

·
UnBanned
17,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
most of us keep our stock downpipe just for emissions. It takes about an hour to swap it (7 bolts on the downpipe), and if you do an aftermarket heatshield, it's only 3 or 4 bolts. With a stock intercooler, it's cake to do. Do a catless downpipe. That's the biggest power adder. I'm more than willing to help you swap the downpipe out if need be, and will have the garage to do it for another month and a half. I just finished taking EFI101 from EFI University, and after I get a WBO2, I'd be willing to help you out with the tune part of things.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok sounds good. Thanks. Quick question. I read that running a catless DP can cause issues with boost creep. Is there a fix for that?

61 - 80 of 99 Posts