ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the possible ware and tears of a Turbo XS stage 2?

Under normal driving conditions(no drag strips, no droping the clutch, and no slipping the clutch), I know my tranny is good, but how
about my clutch?? If my clutch will be going after stage 2, how soon?
a year later, 1-2 months later, longer? shorter?.

Give me input on 1.) your experience and 2.) your theory
on the Turbo XS stage 2.

thanx guys.

·
Registered
272 Posts
you don't gain THAT much more power with a stg 2 set-up, so in my opinion, neglagible.

·
Registered
675 Posts
drive the car normally, and just drive it lie a car thats meant to get from point a to point b, its negligible. It all depends on how you drive it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
take a stock car and beat the hell out of it and it wont last out of the warranty period

take a stage 2 car and baby it and itll last forever

but my question is is this...if you are going to baby it what is the point of modding it? and if you are questioning reliability then dont mod

·
Registered
403 Posts
Stage II is generally exh + EMS. By opening up the exh stream (cat deletes etc) you will *lower* EGTs (good thing) and decrease spool-up time (also a good thing). Your EMS is likely fiddling with the boost and A/F ratios to gain additional hp as well, within normal operating parameters (nobody wants to sell an EMS that blows peoples engines up).

The real risks at stage II are driving/launching like a jagazz and beating on the transmission. The clutch will let you know when its been abused (smell, slippage) but oftentimes the trans will just give out "suddenly" -- not really suddenly, but after a pattern of abuse.

People have destroyed the stock trans on unmodded cars, there are also ppl out there with Stage 4 for a long time no issues. Depends on the driver.

·
Registered
675 Posts
To get back to your question is, it is ok to push your car. However do it wisely, abusing the clutch and transmission at a drag strip is going to take a toll on your car. Tracking it would be a better idea. With a coolsafe thermostat, better suspension, good tires and wheels, your car can be pushed, and also maintained. It's not a matter of when it's driven, more how you drive it, there are conservative ways to drive a car and still be competitive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts