ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I was wondering if installing a cobb 3inch ss turboback exhaust on my new 2020 wrx sti would ruin the engine? The car is under 5y warraanty . Really wanted to change the exhaust as the stock one is not to my liking . then Again, would it ruin the engine?

·
11,633 Posts
As you've described word for word.

Short answer yes.

Long answer yes.

You'd be a nutter to do anything to cause warranty issues. Just get a cat back or axle back

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As you've described word for word.

Short answer yes.

Long answer yes.

You'd be a nutter to do anything to cause warranty issues. Just get a cat back or axle back

Thanks for the info!

·
11,633 Posts
Thanks for the info!
Turbo backs require modifying engine management software cat and axle backs don't. The difference in sound an aftermarket downpipe makes is noticable but not hugely so in my opinion.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I originally had the nameless 5in mufflers on my 16 sti. After watching a bunch of vids decided on the cat back titanium cobb. Judging from video they seemed to be on the quieter side of what was available & reasonably quiet in the cabin. After installing, the cobb & the nameless didn't sound all that different from the outside. Cold start & low rpm there is a lot of bass in the cabin that wasn't audible in cobb's vid. There is a guy with an sti that drives around my work & has the cobb ss. I know he has the cobb intake & I'm pretty sure the turbo back. I have the cobb intake & titanium cat back. His car sounds almost identical to mine but his has a bit of turbo whistle out the exhaust & mine has a bit more high frequency. Before getting a cat back or giving up warranty for turbo back I would try finding a car with the exhaust to ride in. I love my exhaust but not all the time & I can't say it was worth the money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I originally had the nameless 5in mufflers on my 16 sti. After watching a bunch of vids decided on the cat back titanium cobb. Judging from video they seemed to be on the quieter side of what was available & reasonably quiet in the cabin. After installing, the cobb & the nameless didn't sound all that different from the outside. Cold start & low rpm there is a lot of bass in the cabin that wasn't audible in cobb's vid. There is a guy with an sti that drives around my work & has the cobb ss. I know he has the cobb intake & I'm pretty sure the turbo back. I have the cobb intake & titanium cat back. His car sounds almost identical to mine but his has a bit of turbo whistle out the exhaust & mine has a bit more high frequency. Before getting a cat back or giving up warranty for turbo back I would try finding a car with the exhaust to ride in. I love my exhaust but not all the time & I can't say it was worth the money.
I was looking at the cobb 3inch ss catback. Still wondering if it would be worth it . want the exhaust to be a bit louder than the stock but not too loud that it would hinder daily driving. many people suggest the turboback one but waiting 5 years is pretty long. is having warranty worth it?

·
Registered
331 Posts
As someone who has never successfully used an auto warranty I would still say it's worth the wait for the warranty. I paid around $350 for my axle back & sold it quickly for $275. I used it for around 2 years. That $75 loss is far less than if I sold the cat back that cost around $1700 (I think the ss is around $1500) if not happy with the sound or repairs if something goes wrong.

You also may want to consider the sound an intake provides and iirc you have to update fuel system to go turbo back + intake. If you get the full turbo back you would need an access port adding like $600 but you could get the cat back then add down pipe & access port later. Getting the cat back could sooth the itch till further into your warranty.

Judging from the other car I've heard the ss isn't quieter just a bit different. I can't say about the in cabin sound for the ss as I've only heard it from outside.

Not really trying to talk you out of it, I tuned mine a bit before warranty. I only shaved off a month or 2 & fully recognize that it wasn't the smartest move I've made. I don't drive mine all the time but have been considering restoring my truck & would probably put the stock exhaust on if daily driving so my neighbors don't hate me. I live in a neighborhood full of old people though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As someone who has never successfully used an auto warranty I would still say it's worth the wait for the warranty. I paid around $350 for my axle back & sold it quickly for $275. I used it for around 2 years. That $75 loss is far less than if I sold the cat back that cost around $1700 (I think the ss is around $1500) if not happy with the sound or repairs if something goes wrong.

You also may want to consider the sound an intake provides and iirc you have to update fuel system to go turbo back + intake. If you get the full turbo back you would need an access port adding like $600 but you could get the cat back then add down pipe & access port later. Getting the cat back could sooth the itch till further into your warranty.

Judging from the other car I've heard the ss isn't quieter just a bit different. I can't say about the in cabin sound for the ss as I've only heard it from outside.

Not really trying to talk you out of it, I tuned mine a bit before warranty. I only shaved off a month or 2 & fully recognize that it wasn't the smartest move I've made. I don't drive mine all the time but have been considering restoring my truck & would probably put the stock exhaust on if daily driving so my neighbors don't hate me. I live in a neighborhood full of old people though.
ohh I see. really apppreciate you sharing your thoughts!! thank you

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
want the exhaust to be a bit louder than the stock but not too loud that it would hinder daily driving.
This is exactly what I got out of the product. I've been running mine for a few months and I love it. It was much louder and had more drone than I thought it would until after it broke in, which took about a month. It's deeper and more quiet, now. I'm 35 years old with a baby, aka - a family guy, now. The exhaust is subtle enough where I don't feel like a younger tool driving it around, and I don't think my neighbors hate me.

I very surprisingly noticed a touch more throttle response at mid-high RPM's. I think it's legitimate, considering I wasn't looking for it and it hadn't even crossed my mind I would notice anything. It's by no means significant, but I've owned prior EJ motors and I had my STI long enough prior to this to notice it. You may not.

It will only void your warranty on what you replace. AKA - you won't have a catback warranty anymore. I echo what others have said about the turbo back. You'll need a tune and any engine failures will likely not be covered.

Will you be content for five years? Probably not, if you're looking to do eventual mods. However, I think it may keep you content for a couple years. After owning my 18 STI for two and a half years, I inevitably got a bad itch to really start breaking into the car and modding. I decided to do it gradually to keep myself entertained. I'm much more content with just the exhaust than I realized I would be. I'm glad I didn't do more. When I'm ready, I'll probably buy the downpipe. We have the luxury of time.

Cobb SS tuning is the third exhaust I've tried throughout three subarus (WRX/STI's) I've owned. Prior exhausts on those cars were nameless muffler delete axleback and Corsa Extreme. The Cobb SS tuning is the best exhaust I've ever owned. It's not obnoxious and it accentuates the "boxer rumble" perfectly.

·
Registered
331 Posts
This is exactly what I got out of the product. I've been running mine for a few months and I love it. It was much louder and had more drone than I thought it would until after it broke in, which took about a month. It's deeper and more quiet, now. I'm 35 years old with a baby, aka - a family guy, now. The exhaust is subtle enough where I don't feel like a younger tool driving it around, and I don't think my neighbors hate me.

I very surprisingly noticed a touch more throttle response at mid-high RPM's. I think it's legitimate, considering I wasn't looking for it and it hadn't even crossed my mind I would notice anything. It's by no means significant, but I've owned prior EJ motors and I had my STI long enough prior to this to notice it. You may not.

It will only void your warranty on what you replace. AKA - you won't have a catback warranty anymore. I echo what others have said about the turbo back. You'll need a tune and any engine failures will likely not be covered.

Will you be content for five years? Probably not, if you're looking to do eventual mods. However, I think it may keep you content for a couple years. After owning my 18 STI for two and a half years, I inevitably got a bad itch to really start breaking into the car and modding. I decided to do it gradually to keep myself entertained. I'm much more content with just the exhaust than I realized I would be. I'm glad I didn't do more. When I'm ready, I'll probably buy the downpipe. We have the luxury of time.

Cobb SS tuning is the third exhaust I've tried throughout three subarus (WRX/STI's) I've owned. Prior exhausts on those cars were nameless muffler delete axleback and Corsa Extreme. The Cobb SS tuning is the best exhaust I've ever owned. It's not obnoxious and it accentuates the "boxer rumble" perfectly.
So the ss isn't super bassy inside? From the outside they seem so similar but I even refuse to drive with the back seats down. Kinda bummed I shelled out extra when I probably would've been happier with the ss.

·
11,633 Posts
is having warranty worth it?
Yes.

As reliable as the ej can be, it's not renown for longevity, it's renown for blown pistons and spun bearings.

It's also worth knowing a cat back is just a simple swap, a turbo back will require a tune

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes.

As reliable as the ej can be, it's not renown for longevity, it's renown for blown pistons and spun bearings.

It's also worth knowing a cat back is just a simple swap, a turbo back will require a tune
So just installing a catback would be a safe choice yeah?? it wouldnt void warranty?

·
11,633 Posts
Warranties don't just void. That's what the magnusson moss act everyone quotes all the time ensures.

Essentially what protections you have from that ruling are the right to repair your car with non oem equipment as long as it operates to oem specifications. If you put a denso radiator in because you poked a hole in your factory one, then 6 months later the water pump fails, you can still get warranty coverage for that.

It also doesn't allow a company to deny warranty on an unrelated item. So you put a huge turbo on your car and the caliper fails, it's covered.

If you modify something outside of the oem spec then you can be denied for claims for failure to affected components. So you slap a bunch of go fast crap on the car and the head blows up. That's you. Or you annihilate the transmission, that's you.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The Cobb SS has a nice deep "bassy." What I mean is it brings out the typical sound associated with the STI, without being obnoxious. For me, it's plenty loud to really give the car a growl inside the cabin, not just a loud drone/trumpet sound, and it's quiet enough where you can still hear the cool shit like gear whine and a little turbo noise. I've owned quite a few exhausts, including two prior Subaru exhausts, and this is by far the most enjoyable for me.

If you're wanting teenager loud or obnoxiously aggressive, the Cobb SS is not for you. If you're wanting whisper quiet, it's not for you. If you're looking for a nice aftermarket growl that will still turn heads, without pissing off your neighbors or making unable to listen to your factory radio, this will suit you well. It's a little more expensive, but the quality is there.

It's also said to pair nicely with the Cobb downpipe, in terms of what I just said.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey. I was wondering if installing a cobb 3inch ss turboback exhaust on my new 2020 wrx sti would ruin the engine? The car is under 5y warraanty . Really wanted to change the exhaust as the stock one is not to my liking . then Again, would it ruin the engine?
it won’t ruin the engine but it does require a tune. Without a tune you will probably run lean and that could ruin the engine. The tune is what will void the warranty not just adding the exhaust.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts