ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im going to do a engine swap in the future because my wrx is around 160k miles and i want a stronger more durable engine, my problem is i don't know where to buy one and the difference between a short block and long block.
Thanks for looking :wave:

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,450 Posts
If your motor runs, keep it maintained. At 160K there should be no reason for a motor swap. If there were, and if that reason were common, we've all bought the wrong marque.

Since your questions are fundamental I would suggest avoiding swaps and such for the time being until you become more comfortable with motors. What a short block and a long block are varies depending on who's paying whom, but in general a short block is just that, the block and moving components contained in the block (crankshaft, big ends, etc.). A long block will include all that plus the head(s).

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
^^^Great advice...

No reason to get a new engine if that one is fine and well maintained. Just keep up with the maintenance. If that one ends up crapping out on you, then you can search for a new one (classifieds on NASIOC and here...google search...you'll find TONS of stuff).

Or if you are looking at upgrading for performance and that's on your mind...specify and we'll go further :)

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Do a compression and leak down test, see how well that works out for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts