ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously a set of $3,000 brembos would require new rims. Im looking to replace my brakes with something better than OEM, but im scared anything I might order is going to require new rims. Does anyone have any advice or specific brakes for a 2002 WRX with stock rims. [Im not really trying to spend over $600, but willing to push it a little if needed]

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,397 Posts
Ferodo pads, Motul fluid.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,397 Posts
Brembo and others sell quality blanks if you need discs. The calipers already exist. If you don't want Ferodo pads you can try EBC or Hawk; if you don't want Motul fluid you can try Castrol or ATE. There are also options for stainless lines if you wish. Changing to a different brake setup isn't cost efficient unless you can find parts second hand. Look into rear H6 upgrades (but I do NOT know if they'll clear your wheels) and/or 300ZX setups (again, I do NOT know if they'll clear your wheels).

·
Super Modulator
19,549 Posts
Obviously a set of $3,000 brembos would require new rims. Im looking to replace my brakes with something better than OEM, but im scared anything I might order is going to require new rims. Does anyone have any advice or specific brakes for a 2002 WRX with stock rims. [Im not really trying to spend over $600, but willing to push it a little if needed]
First off, for what reason are you looking for upgraded brakes?

Second -- that $600 price tag? Not going to get you close to replacing calipers.

The best bang for your buck braking modifications (this will improve LIGHT YEARS) is fluid all around and good set of pads. If you've changed the suspension at all (stiffer spring rates), the H6 rear brake upgrade (rotors and caliper brackets from an H6 Outback) is a good upgrade.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I know 600 was really low. I'm just not ready to drop 1500 or more on just brakes. Which I guess makes my original question a little silly.

I daily drive this and take it to the occasional track day. I have noticed a few times during hard braking they were overheating and spongey.

I think I'm going to take super spys advice with the ferodo pads, stainless lines and swap fluids

Anyways thanks for the support y'all. I have many, many more questions to be continued

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 02 has the 06 WRX rotors and calipers with 17in rims. Shouldn't cost you too much if you buy them used

·
Super Modulator
19,549 Posts
My 02 has the 06 WRX rotors and calipers with 17in rims. Shouldn't cost you too much if you buy them used
But then the question is -- why? The Subaru 4 pots are hardly an upgrade over the sliding calipers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts