ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was researching new cars, and there seems to be a serious lack of fast sports coupes on the market these days. I am not intrested in the genesis,tc, miata, rx8, etc so the cheapest, and fastest car I found was the WRX. I fell in love with the 4 door. Its a little larger than what I hoped for.. (don't really need a backseat at all), but there seems nothing in this class for the money.

That being said I want to lease one soon. Got burned on a financing deal a while back, and might be moving overseas--so buying would not make sense right now. Subaru's website is quoting $319 a month with about $2000 down on a WRX. The only problem with that is I want a moonroof, and that gorgeous STI desk wing. My questions are as follows:

1) no stock is showing in my area, do dealers really not have ONE WRX for a test drive? The closest in stock dealer is 130 miles or so away. Can it be ordered to any dealership?

2) Can you get a moonroof on the base WRX, or do they make you get a "package"

3) I want to put the STI wing on the trunk, but since I am leasing I think it would be best to buy an STI WING/TRUNK and put it on my car, as not to break the lease terms drilling holes. Is this even possible? I don't want to be wingless!

4) would it make sense to put more money down, will it reduce the lease payment dramatically. $2000 due at signing--- does that include upfront payment or is this separate.

5) ok your really going to get angry right here. I never have driven a manual before. I don't know anyone with one. Should I go back to driving school and learn or just get the Impreza and hope for the best?

6) whats coming out in 2012? am I stupid for buying a 2011 WRX now with possible enhancements coming up, as well as the FT-86?

·
Registered
133 Posts
1. That sounds about right, they are extremely tough to find in stock anywhere, you should be able to order one at any dealership though. I heard they are still delivering 2011's through October.

2. Can't get the moonroof on the Base, you have to spring for the premium package if you want it, which is over $2000 and includes foglights and the deck spoiler (small one)

3. You could always buy someone's trunk with the STI spoiler, there are threads here on that, I guess you could buy one and then sell it again when you turn the car back in.

4. You can reduce the payment by putting more down, it doesn't really save you anything in the long run on a lease, it's just up to you if you'd rather put more money up front and have lower payments, pretty much the same deal as when purchasing one

5. I actually did the same thing and bought a brand new Wrangler without knowing how to drive stick- it took me a good 2 months to be completely comfortable to the point where I wasn't panicky in traffic. It might be a little tougher in a WRX, but you could do it. (Maybe just have someone help you get it home or at least to a safe place to practice for a while)

6. 2012 WRX is supposed to be the same so there isn't a whole lot of incentive to wait if you really want one now- just make sure you get a good deal in case you decide to buy it out at the end. Some people forget that you can still negotiate purchase price with a lease- make sure you don't pay above invoice price for a 2011

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm no expert and I am close to purchasing a WRX 4-Door Premium soon. But I think I can answer some of your questions due to the enormous amount of research I've done.

Q1) It's not surprising that dealers don't have it due to the lack of supply they had originally (because of the tsunami). I guess your best bet is to drive to the closer dealers and ask them if they would be getting a WRX soon. (not sure about ordering to a dealership)

Q2) the moonroof only comes with the premium or limited models of the WRX. I talked to a dealer about this and he told me that this is the case.

Q3) I couldn't tell ya seeing as I am buying it so I could do whatever I want to the car.

Q4) Same as Q3

Q5) If you've never driven a manual and you don't know how a manual car works, you will run into some serious issues in the beginning. I'm sure you can figure it out, but I would definitely find someone who has a manual car that's been used and wouldn't mind showing you how to use it, or find a car rental place and try finding one there and mess with that. If you can afford to take classes at a school, I would also go with that.

Q6) From what I have read on many forums as well as car blogs, the WRX will be a carry over model, meaning that it will be the same as the 2011 models. There have been rumors (not sure if confirmed yet) that slight things will be changed, but for what your looking for it wouldn't effect your decision.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Lease's are a rip off. Stay away. I will never lease a vehicle again.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
I will chime in about the STI wing.You can get your dealer to install it but it will be expensive & since you are leasing they may not agree to modding the car.

Another issue is that the trunk will have to be drilled to fit the wing.You could look for a trunk swap but then you may have to take it off & fill the holes before you return the car.

About leasing ,you can get that offer if you have good credit.There will be extra fees for tax,title & registration.Also there can be a security deposit.Yes,you can reduce monthly payments if you put a bigger downpayment.You have to negotiate the MSRP to bring down your overall cost

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will chime in about the STI wing.You can get your dealer to install it but it will be expensive & since you are leasing they may not agree to modding the car.

Another issue is that the trunk will have to be drilled to fit the wing.You could look for a trunk swap but then you may have to take it off & fill the holes before you return the car.

About leasing ,you can get that offer if you have good credit.There will be extra fees for tax,title & registration.Also there can be a security deposit.Yes,you can reduce monthly payments if you put a bigger downpayment.You have to negotiate the MSRP to bring down your overall cost
Interesting about the wing, I will inquire with the dealers. My credit is kind of destroyed right now @ 640 (like 10 cc inquires) But the usual is 675. I hope I can work something out or else I wait for my credit score to bounce back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would honestly wait and purchase the car when your credit is better. Be advised that most dealers are not going to let you modify the car, as it would be a break in the lease agreement. The leasing they have is essentially a rip-off because the cars hold their values so well. Lease a 5pd stick ecobox car for a few years, save some cash, and purchase the car when you can truly afford to own one. You'll thank yourself in the long-run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts