Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have a TXS stage 2 coming and hope to upgrade to a stage 4TMIC (equivalent) by the summer. I doing the mods piece by piece...but I want an upgraded turbo for street use/city driving...short bursts from low RPMs (before the next stoplight or slow driver) and hopefully more push into the back of your seat when the turbo kicks in (than the stocker). I know the 35 doen't have much top end, but I'm sure it's better than stock, no?
Realistically the stock car is pretty damn fast for me (and most mortals on the street), but of course I want more :) If you read all the posts on i-club/Nasioc, you'd think the WRX is a slug and a piece of junk...it's not. This car is amazing... I've had it for 5 months now, and I love it more every day...I'd just like some more oomph from 2500 to 5500 (ok, 6,000) rpms...is the VF-35 the way I should go? They are less than $800.00 new (now) which seems pretty good. I'd like the more power of a VF-30 over the 35, but 99% of my driving is in the city at this RPM range. I would thing with the UTEC, Catless Stealthback, Uppipe, Power Pulley, etc. and a VF 35, this should be a top-notch streetable package.
If anyone with experience with the 35 (even vs. 30) could help me decide, it would be much appreciated. Or possibly I should go with the iON upgrade...although the info out there is limited (as with the VF-35) Anyways, hope someone can help :)
Thanks everybody!
Cheers,

Brian Broz
03 WRX Sonic Yellow
TXS Setup courtesy of Garret @WorldOne...nothing but GREAT things to say about them!!!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Quickest WRX on the island is runnin' 12.90's with a VF23. (To put things into perspective, TXS Stage 2 cars run at the quickest 13.6 here in Honolulu).

The increase in lag is MINIMAL vs. a TXS stage 2 car, and in fact I would venture to say the Stage 4 + TMIC with the VF23 spools quicker than a BONE stock WRX.

Just a thought. :D

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
1.) I'm immortal and on the street! My WRX needs lots of extra power before it will satisfy me! :D

2.) As far as the VF30 and VF23... I think what is2scooby was saying is, if you want a quicker spooling turbo, go with the VF23. I read somewhere last night that larger turbos like the VF30 and 35 create MORE lag, but the top end power is evil! The VF23 is a smaller turbo and takes less time to spool up, thus reacts quicker.

I could be wrong about this. I'm just assuming this is what was meant based on the information I read. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

~ Dan (Zapix)

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
VF35 is actually smaller than the VF30 and VF34. It's a little larger than the VF24/28/29. It's good for street, but RobPA says that his VF34 still spools up faster and hits harder, so...*shrug* :D

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
For quick spool the ion-spec sounds pretty good!

In HONOLULU, HAWAII last weekend:

Stage 4 VF30 car ran 13.4 @ 101mph
ion-spec turbo car ran 13.5 @ 99mph (before fuel mods).

Both cars are still in the "learning" process. We'll see how they do this Friday. :D

P.S. The ion-spec car spools MUCH faster than the VF30 car - I daresay near as fast as my TXS Stage 2 (stock turbo) setup right now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Broz - our upgrade will easily out-power the VF35 while being able to spool even faster. Being that the VF35 uses a P15 exhaust housing, it will be extremely restricted in the higher rpm's. If you want something that has the top end kick of the VF30/34 and want spool that's a tad faster then a VF35, then the iON Spec OE turbo upgrade (stage 0) is probably what will suit your requirements.

is2scooby - how's your VF30 coming along? will it be back on your doorstep soon? Looks like Mitch had a pretty good run against that TXS Stg 4'd WRX :)

I can't wait to see Mitch's #'s after the fuel upgrade and the Link installed and finally boosting to 19psi! I think you'll soon see that the VF23 equip'd WRX maybe "de-throned" ;)

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
iON....when's the website going to be up??? :confused:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Jack,

My VF30 is sitting at the local turbo rebuilder. Looks like a defective oil seal or improper shaft nut torque was the culprit. My "turbo guy" can't source any parts for the VF series turbos. ARGH. Don't know what's gonna happen. :(

I think Mitch is VERY pleased with his run. With tuning/supporting fuel mods I think he's going to be the next 12-second WRX on the island!

Wes in the VF30 car should be right on his heels though!

·
Registered
9 Posts
is2scooby - well Richard, worse comes to worse, that offer is still open for you :)

Like I said before, it's a real hassle rebuilding an IHI when it's not a offical IHI USA import.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Thanks, Jack.

You know what? If I had any money (I'm broke as a joke right now!) I'd be wiring it to you for an ion-spec turbo. I'm sold so far. :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
iON has me sold - come June (oh please hurry!) I'll have an iON upgrade under my hood.

Quick question for iOn:

I've been hearing about stage 0, 1, and 2 versions of your turbos (can't remember where). I thought it went something like stage 0 is the basic upgrade, stage 1 is the upgrade with a slight clipping of the exhaust turbine, and stage 2 has a larger clip on the exhaust turbine. Please correct me if I'm wrong about these options, and feel free to explain them. What I'm really interested in is the stage 1 - it sounds like it might be able to make more power than the VF30/34 with only a small sacrifice in spool, and still have that flatter than a pancake torque curve. I'd appreciate it if you explained the lag/output/overall capabilities and characteristics of these stages.

I guess I'm hoping the stage 1 will keep the same wonderful torque curve as the stage 0, spool like a VF35, and carry the power to redline even better. If it's also able to put more peak ponies down thant the VF30/34, all the better. Depending on the reduction in spool I would gladly give a little to be able to outpower the 30s and 34s while still having a great curve.

·
Registered
7 Posts
vf30 p18 inlet p18 outlet no ballbearing
vf34 p18 inlet p18 outlet ballbearing STI Typ RA turbo
vf35 p15 inlet p18 outlet no ballbearing STI Typ European Version

I have an european version Typ STI and I realy hate this turbo.
below 3000 rpm the car is slower than everything what you can imaging. if you want a cheap turbo buy an vf 30 about 795 at gruppe-s.com or a vf 34, 1195 at gruppe-s.com. the 30 begins to spool at 3000rpm the 34 about 300 rpm quicker. with both turbos you will make about 340 hp max. with the vf 35 about 320-330. with the vf 35 you will have an big backpressure in the enginge at highspeed runs, becaus of the smaler outlet.....

if you will spend a little bit more an you goal is 400+ hp go and buy an AVO400 or an AVO450 thats the best choice you can do they spool realy quick than the aps turbos both arround 1800 usd.

A realy good site in the us for some special wrx tuning is
www.b-spec.com they have the stuff you need. say hello to vickey (gm) yes she is great.

badtoy

P.S.: and no I don't work for these comanies :))) but I have my own tuning shop for wrx's and supra tt's in europe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
stilesg57 - the stage 0 is the most popular, is it'll present the fatest, most readily available torque out of the 3 stages offered. It will have a peak output @ approximately 95% that of the VF30/34 @ the same boost up till 17.5psi. At which point, if the turbo is boosted to 19psi, it will surpass the output of the VF30/34 without being out of it's efficient range.

The stage 1 will spool slightly slower then the stage 0 (~150-200rpms slower then the stage 0), while shifting the curve slightly upward.

The stage 2 spools just a hair faster then the stock turbo, and is ment for those who want to use their car everyday and frequent the track very often (drag or road race).

All three share a similar torque curve, however each stage peaks at a different point to suit the specific application.

The stage 0 will spool faster then a VF35, and still have the output of the VF30/34. That's the reason why this turbo is recommended out of all 3 stages for the best compromise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yo

hey ION do u have some dyno results of your upgrades,, webpage,, and references,, u guys still in progress,, convince me not to put in my ordered vf 35 in my wrx auto ..i cant find any info bout your upgardes but your posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
topgrinder - a temporary page will be put up shortly. Our official page won't be released till later. If you'd like a first hand account of our stage 0 upgrade, PM tevia-boy (Mitch) or is2scooby (Richard) and they can tell you what their impressions are.

here's a fairly in-depth review of our stage 0 turbo.
*note dyno figures on a mustang dyno generally read ~5-7% lower then a dynapac*

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=261780

Here's another quick review by i-Speed USA:

http://www.i-speedusa.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=3e1ffc9f2b4dffff;act=ST;f=5;t=20

If you have any questions, you can contact us directly -> [email protected]

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The ride I got in the ion-spec turbo I installed (on Mitch's car) was an eye-opener.

Spool was as quick, or QUICKER than his stock turbo on an exhaust with 1 cat left in it.

It pulled hard enough to be within 1/10th of a Stage 4 TXS car in the 1/4 mile a couple of weeks ago.

Once the ion-spec turbo is tuned - it will be a VERY interesting matchup indeed! (ion vs. TXS Stage 4)

·
Registered
147 Posts
aps turbo

The sr30 is another very nice streetable turbo.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The SR30 is an amazing turbo, but I just can't spend that kind of money.

Hey Jack, how much more power potential is there with the stage 1 over the stage 0? 200rpms is not a lot of spool sacrifice for 20 hp, but it is for 5 hp. I'm glad the penalty in spool is so minimal, but I want to know if it's worth it for the stage 1 gains.

FWIW, the SR30's tuned safely put down about 290whp on Mustang dynos (that's what Cobb uses). mynew02 on NASIOC is probably in the 270-275whp (on a mustang dyno) range now that he's done some track tuning on his Link - is a stage 1 gonna match/beat the SR30 at 290whp? If so, it sounds like that would be my turbo! 200rpms more lag than the stock turbo is about what the SR30 has, so if your stage 1 can match that at $850 it's a steal! Sorry to keep bothering you about a purchase that won't materialize for another few months, but I'd appreciate it if you let me know just how much more power the stage 1's 200rpm extra lag affords. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts