Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running into idling problems with my newly install fuel pump. I am not sure if it is the fuel pump or something else. 4 days ago I finished installing my sti injectors with walbro gss342 fuel pump. Everything was fine until yesterday, what happens is when the car is idling the rpms will fluctuate from the standard ~750 down to 300rpms or even stall out. This only happens when idling, WOT and normal driving work fine. I double checked the install and everything appears to be fine with the injectors and the fuel pump.

I no not have a fuel pressure gauge so I am not sure if I am dropping to low on the pressure or if I am maybe pushing too much fuel into the engine and drowning it at idle? Turboxs gave me a mapping that had +20% fuel over their standard map due to my TMIC. Do their maps add anything at idle? I didnt think they touched the idle part.

I did manage to take a few DD logs and you can see where the idle drops. Also the air/fuel correction #1 is all over the place but that is probably due to the idle problem.

Can the stock ecu run with sti injectors? If so I might remove my unichip and see if my idle calms down.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Here is a DD log
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
2,210 Posts
I would think that the Unichip would have to control some aspect of the idle, even if indirectly through use of a master fuel value. Otherwise the car would idle like a$$ with those big injectors. At idle you don't need any more fuel on a modified vehicle than a stocker, so the fuel would need to be trimmed when running larger injectors since they flow more fuel on any given pulse.

Maybe give TXS a call and describe the problem to them. Has there been any significant changes in the weather the last few days?

-Pace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pace said:
I would think that the Unichip would have to control some aspect of the idle, even if indirectly through use of a master fuel value. Otherwise the car would idle like a$$ with those big injectors. At idle you don't need any more fuel on a modified vehicle than a stocker, so the fuel would need to be trimmed when running larger injectors since they flow more fuel on any given pulse.

Maybe give TXS a call and describe the problem to them. Has there been any significant changes in the weather the last few days?

-Pace
The weather did change from 75 the first 2 days to over 95 the last 2. Do you think the weather would change the idle of the car? Or did maybe txs put too much fuel into the idle?

I was going to call them today but I always forget they are on the east coast time so they were closed. Cant call them until monday then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to give an update on my problem. It has now progressed alot more. I got a CEL for misfire in all 4 cyclinders and my car started to heat up, the temp gauge moved towards hot but as long as I kept it moving the temp would stay normal.

So I drove home and pulled my unichip and now the car idles fine but I still lose alot of power at 5krpms+. But that I think is due to my sti injectors with fuel pump putting too much fuel into the engine for the stock ecu to handle. Does this sound like the right?

I have also been trying to get ahold of txs this morning but so far just their answering machine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Having looked at the Turboxs maps I personally was not very impressed, the misfire code you mentioned is common with the unichip, running a similar setup with the 341 as opposed to the 342 I am a little surprised you are having so many problems. Why it is heating up though is a bit more confusing. try searching on I-club for a member named boogerwrx you should email him he is very good with the unichip and may be able to help you with your problem. email me [email protected] if you want his number he was able to cure several peoples txs unichip+detonation problems here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,501 Posts
tifosi77 said:
Having looked at the Turboxs maps I personally was not very impressed, the misfire code you mentioned is common with the unichip, running a similar setup with the 341 as opposed to the 342 I am a little surprised you are having so many problems. Why it is heating up though is a bit more confusing. try searching on I-club for a member named boogerwrx you should email him he is very good with the unichip and may be able to help you with your problem. email me [email protected] if you want his number he was able to cure several peoples txs unichip+detonation problems here.
Right, TXS isn't that good... they just have three or four ungodly fast WRXs and made Vishnu look like an idiot at the dyno shoot out. It's all hype though, they suck.

-Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
you must have me confused with with a person that cares about 1/4 mile times, I don't care for Vishnu either and I could even care less about 1/4 mile times or chassis dynos. If you don't turn it isn't racing period. Biiiiiiiiiiiiig deal their cars go fast in a straight line. The man asked a question I gave my opinion, everyone I know has had detonation problems with their TXS map (stage 2 or 4 usually) I have actually looked at the map and I do not like how much timing they add, I prefer smooth less peaky maps. SO go race your WRX in a stragiht line Jim you big loser because if you had something to add to this technical discussion I am sure you would have but since you didn't and all you added was some TXS propaganda that an idiot like you would buy into I will just assume that you don't know crap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,501 Posts
tifosi77 said:
you must have me confused with with a person that cares about 1/4 mile times, I don't care for Vishnu either and I could even care less about 1/4 mile times or chassis dynos. If you don't turn it isn't racing period. Biiiiiiiiiiiiig deal their cars go fast in a straight line. The man asked a question I gave my opinion, everyone I know has had detonation problems with their TXS map (stage 2 or 4 usually) I have actually looked at the map and I do not like how much timing they add, I prefer smooth less peaky maps. SO go race your WRX in a stragiht line Jim you big loser because if you had something to add to this technical discussion I am sure you would have but since you didn't and all you added was some TXS propaganda that an idiot like you would buy into I will just assume that you don't know crap.
OK, I have a map from TXS for rallying and road racing, I run a VF30. I apologize for my blatant and unnecessary reminder that TXS is still the best.

-Jim
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
1,263 Posts
WRX-Hellfire said:
Just to give an update on my problem. It has now progressed alot more. I got a CEL for misfire in all 4 cyclinders and my car started to heat up, the temp gauge moved towards hot but as long as I kept it moving the temp would stay normal.

So I drove home and pulled my unichip and now the car idles fine but I still lose alot of power at 5krpms+. But that I think is due to my sti injectors with fuel pump putting too much fuel into the engine for the stock ecu to handle. Does this sound like the right?

I have also been trying to get ahold of txs this morning but so far just their answering machine.
Anymore news since yesterday??
I have TurboXS Stage 4 and have had no problems and no CELs.

The overheating is weird (dumb question - did you check your coolant level??)

Andrew
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
1,263 Posts
tifosi77 said:
Having looked at the Turboxs maps I personally was not very impressed, the misfire code you mentioned is common with the unichip, running a similar setup with the 341 as opposed to the 342 I am a little surprised you are having so many problems. Why it is heating up though is a bit more confusing. try searching on I-club for a member named boogerwrx you should email him he is very good with the unichip and may be able to help you with your problem. email me [email protected] if you want his number he was able to cure several peoples txs unichip+detonation problems here.
For the record.
I ran TXS Stage 2 for 2 months and ~5000 miles with no CELs and NIL problems
I now have TXS Stage 4 and still have no CELs and NIL problems
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
I think that quite frankly the "off-the-shelf" mpas leave alot to be desired. Regardless of what you choose to believe, there have been a rash of Unichips that have gone bad, thrown random CELs, and generally ran like crap. It just doesn't make sense to expect a map tuned for the majority of cars to run good everywhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,501 Posts
phast said:
I think that quite frankly the "off-the-shelf" mpas leave alot to be desired. Regardless of what you choose to believe, there have been a rash of Unichips that have gone bad, thrown random CELs, and generally ran like crap. It just doesn't make sense to expect a map tuned for the majority of cars to run good everywhere.
Jay is right. You tune, you run the risk. It's about factor of safety, due care, and TIME spent. Jay tried to help me with my Link, but these current pump issues and software caused me to throw my hands up in discust. Oh well, my UTEC might do the same. That remains to be seen!

-Jim
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
2,210 Posts
tifosi77 said:
you must have me confused with with a person that cares about 1/4 mile times, I don't care for Vishnu either and I could even care less about 1/4 mile times or chassis dynos. If you don't turn it isn't racing period. Biiiiiiiiiiiiig deal their cars go fast in a straight line.
..
Exactly why do you expect any engine performance package to focus on improving an aspect of the vehicle other than it's straightline capabilities? :confused:

With regard to the comments made about off-the-shelf EMS maps: I was personally very underwhelmed by mine, and I have yielded much better results with a TIY EMS solution. However, for the large majority of folks they are very adequate and they are generally very safe. The bad Unichips were just that; bad Dastek Unichips, not bad tuning. Although perhaps this could be construed as a QC issue on TurboXS' part, it is probably unrealistic to expect them to fit every chip they have mapped to a test vehicle and go for a drive.

Finally, as off-the-shelf solutions go; TurboXS have a proven track record of producing far superior results to both Vishnu and Cobb.

-Pace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
aussieinstlouis said:


Anymore news since yesterday??
I have TurboXS Stage 4 and have had no problems and no CELs.

The overheating is weird (dumb question - did you check your coolant level??)

Andrew
Wow, This thread is interesting now... :D

Talked to Nathan at Txs yesterday and he had me make sure that the coils were fine and that my board had all the wires in completely. I did that and verified again the idle problems with the unichip/harness only vs no problems without them. After those tests Nathan had me send the board and unichip back to them and it will arrive there tomorrow.

As far as the overheating is concerned... I think it is my fualt on that one. I forgot that while I was doing the injectors I popped the top off the radiator just to poke around. In doing so I assume after reading many an overheating thread on the other board that I have an air pocket in the cooling system. Tomorrow I am going to bleed it out. I am almost positive that is what is causing the heat problem. It also seems to hold true when driving around. The car never overheats it just rises to the dash just above the halfway mark then it goes back down to normal and so on. Seems like an air pocket moving through the system.

On a side note... What would be better? Dyno tuned unichip or Utec? I am fairly close to vishnu to get tuned but I have a fear of running with an mbc all the time.
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
2,210 Posts
For the record; of the many local TXS (stage-2) users that we have, I have heard of only one who had detonation problems. And that was a second-hand account relayed to me from wrxinthehouse.

The misfire CEL issues have largely been occurring with the Vishnu mapped Unichips.

-Pace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pace said:
For the record; of the many local TXS (stage-2) users that we have, I have heard of only one who had detonation problems. And that was a second-hand account relayed to me from wrxinthehouse.

The misfire CEL issues have largely been occurring with the Vishnu mapped Unichips.

-Pace
I was quite surprised I had the misfires with a txs chip. Is it possible that their was way too much fuel going in and it fouled the plugs in 2 days?
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top