Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to the local dealer (bob dance subaru in sanford, FL) first off the salesmen knew nothing bout the car but oh well. my dad went with me bc im under 18 and cant drive a stick yet, im trying to find a car to learn on, probably my uncles integra. so my dad drove the manual wagon. i was just wondering is there any speed difference in a manual wagon vs a manual sedan, what are the differences if any

esepcially, any speed difference?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
They're close. The wagon weighs 300lb more, which makes for a slight difference. IIRC, I think that every 100lbs adds 0.1s to the 1/4 mile time. The wagon also doesn't have as thick of a rear sway bar. Also, in case you didn't notice, the wagon also has MUCH more storage room.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
the trunk is roomy on the sedan, but the back seats down fold down. that is a big problem for most... i know i wont be able to carry as many things as i did with my integra. (enough room for a refrigerator and still have room left for other things!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
300 lbs

No, it's not 300 lbs heaver. Here's a complete compare/contrast, taken from my Subaru Dealer service manuals:
  • Wagon curb weight is 80lbs more
  • Wagon gross vehicle weight is 150lbs more (because GVW is computed based on cargo space, and the wagon has more cargo space; GVW doesn't indicate anything about how much a vehicle weighs empty.)
  • Wagon has much more cargo space (although I can't find the cc number in my service manual)
  • Wagon body is 35mm narrower (because it doesn't have the fender flares)
  • Wagon has 45mm shorter cabin (consumed by rear cargo area)
  • Wagon has 20mm more head room (don't know why)
  • Wagon stance is 20mm narrower (flares again)
  • Wagon rear sway bar is 17mm, sedan's is 20mm (bigger means stiffer and better handling)
  • Sedan chassis does not require a rear strut tower brace (a little stiffer)
Here are some other differences that you might be interested in:
  • Wagon is $500 cheaper in 2002
  • Wagon weight distribution is 58/42, which is closer to 50/50 than sedan's 60/40
  • Wagon seats fold down, sedan's do not (convenient for fitting race tires in the back) :D
  • Maximum tire width on wagon without body work is 225mm; the sedan's fender flares allow it to accomodate 245mms.
  • Upper strut tower braces are available for the wagon, although they cut through the cargo space
  • Rear sway bar (which is the single most dramatic handling improvement you can make to the wagon) is interchangable with sedan's, although to tell you the truth bigger is better. I have a 24mm and it is perfect.
  • Wagon taillight assembly has reverse lights on bottom instead of top, which IMHO looks better
  • Wagon has those sexy roof rails
  • Sedan owners think they are better than wagon owners and don't wave back when I wave at them
  • Wagon owners feel smug about all the sedans they beat
  • Sedan owners feel stupid when they drive home at the end of an autocross where they got their butts whupped by a wagon. :D

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Re: 300 lbs

rexwagon said:
  • Sedan owners think they are better than wagon owners and don't wave back when I wave at them
  • Wagon owners feel smug about all the sedans they beat
  • Sedan owners feel stupid when they drive home at the end of an autocross where they got their butts whupped by a wagon. :D
:LOL::LOL:

Just imagine what it feels like to be a Porsche Boxster owner and get whupped by a Wagon with an Elmo baby mirror waving from the back window! (All he could do was laugh.)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Last time I checked the fastest wrxs in the country were wagons.

<----thinks wagon owners have an inferiority complex and overcompensate with 10 sec. wagons.

I have a sedan and like it mo betta.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i like to see the goofy look on fellow duck hunters when i pull up in a wagon, they usually have big monster ******* 4x4 trucks, then i pull up and get my dog out of the wagon, it was actually a bit more clown-like when me and my dog pulled up in a miata with a couple of dozen decoys thet got really odd looks.

·
Premium Member
17,861 Posts
0.02...worth

Also i've been informed that the wagon has a lot better balance because of the extra weight of the rear part of the body :)

btw..ebr0t : if you live near Tampa go visit Mastro Subaru on Hillsbrough Ave...very friendly and they know about the cars as well...plus they sell mods etc...

www.Mastrosubaru.com
www.mastrowrx.com

Andy...

·
Registered
64 Posts
You are making me miss my wagon!

I had to go out of town on biz and coming here to this site can really bum you when you are wrx-sick. I've seen several today wagons today, and I can't even really wave at them! I'm in Philly by the way.

May have more stories in another post regarding my rental cars.

Finally, I think wagons are the best if you need to still have utility in your car. Sedans look cool, and come a little more beefy in the sway bar, but a wagon can be modded for cheap and have better suspension than a sedan stock.

Sleeper status can be very cool too if you like that sort of thing.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i live in the orlando area, so ill probably deal with bill bryan bc bob dance sucks. salesmen are idiots and jerks for the most part.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
from a sedan owner

i actually was really torn b/w the sedan and the wagon. my dad kept mentioning that the wagon looked better.

i think they both look great. i just didn't want to be 24, single, incredibly good looking, and be driving a wagon.

:p

dR

·
Registered
17 Posts
Speaking as a 25yo single, incredibly good looking wagon owner... well, chicks dig the wagon, man. Did you know it sleeps 2 comfortably? :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts