Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there, gettin a wrx in a few months, actually 2, trying to decide on wagon vs. sedan, like the looks of both, wagon will be more practical as i often take vacations carrying lots of stuff, but is there a performance difference, ie weight, weight disribution, suspension, and of course modding options, esp suspension and brakes, thanks much in advance!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Welcome to the forums! If you hit the search button in the top right and enter "wagon sedan", there are already a good number of threads on this topic that should have the info you're looking for.

Good luck deciding though, I've changed my mind about 50 times about which I want to get. :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
This is a very, very common topic, and that's why you can easily find something with a search. However, I don't mind commenting again. The general consensus is that the extra 80 pounds in the wagon isn't very much given the overall weight of the car. Wagon owners just need to stay in better physical shape. :D It can be argued that the wagon can handle better due to the better weight distribution, but it needs a thicker rear sway bar. The savings of the cheaper wagon ($800 less than a sedan w/ spoiler) is more than enough to replace this AND get you an up-pipe and down-pipe (or other mods). Overall, it seems that there are more people who wished they had gone for the utility of a wagon than wagon owners wishing for a sedan. The biggest flaws of the wagon are a lack of body kits, and more care must be given to the wheel tire size/spacing to keep from rubbing. Oh, and the idea of kicking butt in a wagon is just kinda cool.:cool:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Love muh wagon, amazing what ya can stuff in the thing. I managed to get: floor sander, two full size floor speakers, 22" tv and an encylopedia set in there the other day....and beat an Accord in a race...lol. Granted the books were flying all over the place, but I won. :D

·
2,210 Posts
There is no noticeable performance difference between the two. The sedan has a wider track and stiffer stock swaybars, but the wagon has closer to perfect weight distribution. The weight difference is basically negligible. Just go on a diet. I don't know about the legroom, but I do know that the wagon has longer A-pillars and therefore more headroom (too much IMHO).

The lack of fold-down rear seats and lack of rear wiper on the sedan made it a no brainer for me. I went with the wagon.

The two fastest WRXs in Colorado are wagons. 'Nuff said! :p

-Pace

·
Super Moderator
1,991 Posts
Noticed the other day that the seadan has no rear headrests. The wagon does. I was in getting the mirror replaced, and shooting the bull with my sales guy. He is about 5'6" or so, and showed me that sitting in the back seat and looking up at the ceiling will put your head right against the rear window! Ouch! Watch out if you get rear ended!

Split fold down seats and the great syling convinced me to get the wagon. Plus, as mentioned, the sleeper effect of a wagon will really light up the eyes of the Boxster driver you blow off at the next race. Someone over on I-Club sells stickers for the back that say "You just got beat by a station wagon!"

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Hey if your getting 2 of them get a sedan and a wagon. Seriously though I prefer the sedan, its basically a preference issue. I dont know(Im not knocking the wagons) but the wagons just dont do it for me like the sedan.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
wrxwex said:
hi there, gettin a wrx in a few months, actually 2, trying to decide on wagon vs. sedan, like the looks of both, wagon will be more practical as i often take vacations carrying lots of stuff, but is there a performance difference, ie weight, weight disribution, suspension, and of course modding options, esp suspension and brakes, thanks much in advance!
what you gotta ask yourself, is what are you going to be carrying in it. if you need the fold down seats, wagon, if not sedan.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
although the trunk in the sedan is a good size, the trunk lid must have been designed by Jerry's kids. Its so narrow you'll have a lot of trouble getting anything in there to fill it up. if you look at the 2 cars side-by-side, you'll see that they have exactly the same lines up to the rear pillar. its not really a wagon, its more of a 4-door hatchback..it also has 1 less window pannel than the traditional wagon design. I replaced my sway bar and it started riding WAY better (not that it was particularly bad before)....now I'm working on getting some strut tower braces.

·
2,210 Posts
I'm gonna get flamed for this generalization, but my observations from the numerous WRX owners I know is as follows:

Wagon: Aimed at the family man, outdoorsy type, or sophisticated older Subaru enthusiast.

Sedan: Aimed at the younger boy-racer, rally-wannabe, or import performance (ex-Honda) enthusiast.

Not saying either is good or bad, but the vast majority of the WRX owners I know fit into those classifications quite well.

I use the gender terms to illustrate the point, but it applies just as well to females. :)

-Pace

·
Registered
293 Posts
Excuse me while I put on my flame suit....

OK, I'll agree with you, pace. It isn't always the case, but it's surprisingly true. Part of why I was wanting a wagon was to be able to go to the beach with friends and haul surfboards. I think that part is that, typically, the older we get, the more we need practicality. I can't borrow my dad's or a fraternity brother's pickup when the need arises. I do things less in a group compared to those years, so I have to rely on myself for getting things around. As a "younger" person being teens and college, I didn't need the utility that I now must have. I would have been more inclined to go for the looks of the flares (which I still lust after). But then again, I've always just had a thing for wagons. For my first car, I wanted to build a Volkwagon squareback, but my dad wouldn't let me for fear of safety/crashworthiness.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
pace said:
I'm gonna get flamed for this generalization, but my observations from the numerous WRX owners I know is as follows:

Wagon: Aimed at the family man, outdoorsy type, or sophisticated older Subaru enthusiast.

Sedan: Aimed at the younger boy-racer, rally-wannabe, or import performance (ex-Honda) enthusiast.

Not saying either is good or bad, but the vast majority of the WRX owners I know fit into those classifications quite well.

I use the gender terms to illustrate the point, but it applies just as well to females. :)

-Pace
No flames comin here, I completely agree, i like the sedan more. I'm a 18 year old male. But I will look at a wagon for the sleeper value, and the ability to haul more junk. if the sedans lid is as small as blarg says, i might reconsider the sedan part. that is what i HATE about my mustang, most suitcases you cant get into the trunk, they will fit, but you cant get them in there

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm getting the wagon for my wife mainly because we have a 6 month old son and another child on the way. The hatch is much more convenient for hauling the stroller and groceries, and whatever else we want. Plus I like the roof rack to carry skis, snowboards etc.
JeffR

·
Registered
13 Posts
Let's see ... the wagon is cheaper, more practical, and there is little performance difference ... I never even considered the sedan. And, yes, I fit this description:

quote: "Wagon: Aimed at the family man, outdoorsy type, or sophisticated older Subaru enthusiast."

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
pace said:

LoL.... So I'm sophisticated, huh? :p

Actually, I'd say I fall more into the outdoorsey catagory. But I can think of a few locals who break those rules. #1 rulebreaker: Cliff! :D

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
This is an awesome thread! Aimed at the sophisticated older Subaru enthusiasist! OK, but I did just put my "You just got beat by a wagon" sticker on, so I'm a little less sophisticated now:p

"Wagon owners just need to stay in better physical shape. " Amen, brother, Amen- and with Thanksgiving right around the corner....

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.