ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was looking at swaybars and end links. what is the same as sedan and whats different? what do you have and what works well.
thanx

·
Registered
0 Posts
Stock Wagon is 17mm. Stock 02-03 sedan is 20mm. I think they have made them all 17mm now.

I to upgraded to a 20mm sedan bar. They are cheap and make a nice improvement. I recently got some Whiteline Heavy Duty Endlinks, the nice shiny aluminum ones ;) And it does make a slight, but noticable difference at initial turn in. You can feel the car want to turn a little more right at the start. I'm happy for now.

Note on sway bars... increase stiffness in small increments and get used to that before going higher. Going from a 17mm bar to 24mm might end up putting you into a spin and things can get real ugly from there...

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what about the front. I got a front off ebay. whiteline $27 if can beleive it. so I could not pass that by. it will fit right as the front is the same. I can recall what was different but I recall that something was different from wagon to sedan and was interested to know what that was.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The links are different sizes. I think that is it other than diameter of the stock bars.

I just put a Cusco 22-24 rear bar on my wagon last night. It is on the lowest setting for now and it feels Very NICE!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds useless:confused:

·
Registered
46 Posts
hybrid gti 2 said:
what about the front. I got a front off ebay. whiteline $27 if can beleive it. so I could not pass that by. it will fit right as the front is the same. I can recall what was different but I recall that something was different from wagon to sedan and was interested to know what that was.
If I remember correctly, the front sway bars are different between the WRX Sedan and WRX Wagon. The sedan has a wider track and also uses different front endlinks. If you have a strut bar, that is the same for the sedan and wagon.

·
Registered
377 Posts
hybrid gti 2 said:
You don't want to stiffen up the front more than the rear. That will only promote understeer, which the WRX suffers from anyway (being nose heavy). The problem with the wagon is that it is already stiffer in the front than the rear (anybody figure out why they did that?) so the first move is to stiffen the rear. Then, you can stiffen the front but you'll have to stiffen the rear at the same rate to maintain balance.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Both the wagon and sedan have 20mm front sway bars, but the bars are different lengths. The sedan alos has pillowball (spherical) links where the wagon gets "dogbone" links- same material as the oem rears.

The 02 (and very early 03's) got 20mm rear sway bars, but now get 17mm ones- same as the wagon has always gotten.

The oem 02 20mm sway bar is good upgrade for wagon and newer sedan alike. It dials out a fair amount of understeer (and reduces bodyroll a bit as well). I suggest trying this bar out first, if it's not enough bar you can easily sell it for about what you paid for it.

If you have an older (02/03) wagon, consider upgrading the sway mounts as well to the newer style- I wrote up a short tutorial in the tutorial section on this upgrade.

Rear sway links are the same wagon/sedan, so anything available will work on the wagon.

Big Sky

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok I will have to look at that big sky. I just say the sway bar for dirt cheap and figures what the hell. figured it might fit. I got the 02 wagon so I guess I got the 20mm bar in the rear. was looking at stress bar for the front. not going to do the rear. well sounds like i just need to upgrade my end links as mine are cracked. So I saw this guys on ebay for $60 buskd and was thinking about it. if I know the sizes of the parts I'd go have a bunch made and sell them. I saw the perrin ones with the bearings in them. freeking selling for $100 a set. aluminum and $3 bearings :rolleyes: how hard is that if you have the size?:D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Big Sky, how much longer is the sedan front than the wagon? Also, where did you find out that the sedan is longer?

I have a "copy" of the WRX service manual and didn't see that there was a difference.

thanks
chad

·
Registered
0 Posts
chudlo said:
Big Sky, how much longer is the sedan front than the wagon? Also, where did you find out that the sedan is longer?

I have a "copy" of the WRX service manual and didn't see that there was a difference.

thanks
chad
I'm pretty sure the sedan front is about 20mm wider track in the front. Less than an inch. Why Subaru seemingly went out of their way to make them different is beyond me.. seems like it would be a few less part namubers to deal with. But then they don't ask me. :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
hybrid gti 2 said:
I got the 02 wagon so I guess I got the 20mm bar in the rear.
All WRX Wagons 02-present have 17mm rear sway bar. Only 02-03 Sedans had the 20mm rear sway bar.

Bunner for us but we have 17mm rear bars.

Cheap bums at Subaru should have changed to all having 20mm not 17mm!

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
The sedan has a wider track both front and rear- this is acomplished by longer front transverse links (aka front control arms) w/ subsequent longer axle shafts.

The rear track is also longer, due to longer lateral links (and again longer axle shafts.

Actually track diffferences are-sedan 58.5f/58.3r wagon 57.7f/57.3r- all measurements in inches.

Big Sky

·
Registered
184 Posts
Big Sky WRX said:
The sedan has a wider track both front and rear- this is acomplished by longer front transverse links (aka front control arms) w/ subsequent longer axle shafts.

The rear track is also longer, due to longer lateral links (and again longer axle shafts.

Actually track diffferences are-sedan 58.5f/58.3r wagon 57.7f/57.3r- all measurements in inches.

Big Sky
I know the sedan track is wider, but why would the fsb be longer if the reaer isn't. I put the sedan rsb on my wagon without any problems.

This is just very aggravating. Now I will have to get fsb too to complete my wagon->sedan suspension swap.:(

Maybe my Pol-tec adj links can make up the difference.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Probably the mounting points of the sway links to the control are different, where in the rear they are the same.

I don't know how different the front bars are, different enough to have different part#'s.

Big Sky

1 - 17 of 17 Posts