Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '02 WRX Wagon and I need to either 1. slide the roof rack forward about 6 inches or 2. remove it all together. The rails from my bike rack and my space booster hit the spoiler when the deck is opened. Can the rack be moved? How do I do it?

Thanks,
E-

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the thing is, i need the rack to carrier my bikes/skis etc...but i need it moved forward.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow! that looks great...but a LOT of work just to remove those rails. i was hoping there were some "hidden bolts" somewhere to loosen and slide that baby forward. like i said, i need the rack, it would just be really helpful if it was about 6-10 inches forward.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
You said,
I've got an '02 WRX Wagon and I need to either 1. slide the roof rack forward about 6 inches or 2. remove it all together.
RE-moving it is possible. Moving it.... I don't know. It would be major.

misterx

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i know...if i remove it, i could put a yakima rack on the rain gutters and move it as far forward as i want. i was just hoping there was an easier solution.

E-

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah, the wagon has a shaved err well removed roof rack..I told you it was schweet hehe =)

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Ecruz said:
i know...if i remove it, i could put a yakima rack on the rain gutters and move it as far forward as i want. i was just hoping there was an easier solution.

E-
AFAIK (i'm using cool lingo now :D) The rack can't be moved without drilling new holes. it would be a lot easier to shave the rack and put on some Q-towers. I know that you can order new strips (the black things under the roof rails) from canadian dealers for around $65 each to get rid of the holes left after shaving.

besides...i looks sweet! I'm going to do it when i get the chance :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
2 "easier" things to do....since you'll be using a rack for stuff. I'm building up my Yakima for use on my subie, so I'm pretty familiar with options.

1) Someone hack sawed the bike tray so it wouldn't hit the tail when it was up. had to take something like 4-7 inches off (?).

2) get a hybrid system that has the front towers on the roof and the rears attached to the roof rail. You can get a VERY wide, stable spread with this set up and with the yakima you can go from the 32" fairing (btwn the rails) to the 44". you might have to do this b/c of the space booster concern and i guess skis are longer than bikes.

I'm seeing how it works with just lowriders attached to the rails, but i really don't want to put tower feet on my roof. I dented my SE-R clamping them down and we all know about the thin sheet metal on the subies, plus the whole grit getting between the pad and roof - sandpaper effect. hope this helps. take care.

Roamin'

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the hybred system i mean. that should work great for getting everything farther forward. i had already cut my trays down, but my bike tires still hit the wing. and i don't even have the space booster on b/c it will hit. as far as the fairning goes, i just put that little $15 windjammer thing on and the wind noise was gone. i don't know how it works, but it does.

·
Registered
213 Posts
no prob. Glad I could help. I think the windjammers just make the bars themselves a little more aero. You know the old round vs. raindrop shape. I think it's enough to cut down the buzz that comes down through the bars -> no wind noise. I just dig the fairing for the factory look dealie. luck!

Roamin'

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i like the fairing look also. i had one on my outback, but it rubbed the paint almost down to the metal. although i had it on there for the whole 5 yrs i owned that car.

E-

·
1,263 Posts
The Subaru accessories are actually made by Yakima - my bike rack holds the bikes and allows me to open the wagon trunk. Same with snowboard rack. I don't have one of those roof torpedoes, but I assume it will work.

I realise this is no help if you already have racks - but it is an easy solution (although not the most cost effective in your situation).

Andrew

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the subie bike racks (by yakima) are all upright models, as far as i know, which are not as stable. also they clamp on to my, very expensive bicycle frame, instead of on the fork, which is built for that kind of pressure. that's where the wheel mounts. the fork mounts are just much more secure IMO.

·
1,263 Posts
I have the rack and put my expensive thin walled tube frame into them with no worries and have travelled both highway(at upto 90mph) and off-road with no issues or damage.

I can understand the concerns but the proof of the pudding is in the eating and it seems fine to me.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I got the Yakima/Subie set and found you have 2 options to avoid having the tray hit the rear spoiler.
1. Cut about 4-5 inches off the back of the tray. It looks good and doesnt affect how the tray works.
2. Move the trays to outside the towers...it fits perfect even though Yakima says you "should" keep the trays inside the towers, I have never experienced a problem.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Wow...thread resurrection!

Another alternative, if you're using fork mount bike carriers, is to simply turn them around so the bike is facing the back of the car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts