Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, they've got some get up and go. What sort of launch method are you using and what sort of help do you want with it. Also, do you have any mods yet?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Your clutch isn't going to like that 5k launch too much. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last week, i was on sunset blvd heading south saw a Integra GSR and a GTI was racing from light to light. i caught up and joined them. i had bad launch the first time, the turbo lag killed me... lost the first round. still bad launch the second round, but i caught up after 2nd gear. killed the GSR, but hardly to pass the GTI, the GTI's low end is really good, just don't know if he got some mods inside. ppl, help me with a good launch!!!....
thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
I usually bring the rpm's up to about 3800-4000, then I slip the clutch, makes for a fairly strong launch......I have surprised many many people so far......

I figure that I'm going to replace the clutch and flywheel anyways.... so why not burn it a little.......plus, a replacement clutch is a lot cheaper than the damage you do when dropping it..... (your differential, clutch etc...) :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just passed that magical 1000 mile mark and am looking to perfect my launch, which needs LOTS of work. All I seem to do is bog the motor. I guess I need to slip the clutch more?? I did get in a scrap with a new Celica GT last week and it was over before I was through 1st gear, bog and all. :D But against any real competition, I'm dead meat until I can leave the line better. :mad:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well if you're going to get a new clutch, then I guess you can do 6k launches. I dunno. Just have fun clutching burning :rolleyes:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm assuming when you mean 'slip the clutch' as oppossed to 'dropping the clutch' is basically to slip it out slowly while depressing the accelerator? Kinda like normal driving i guess?

Whereas dropping is basically slam the gas and pop your foot off the clutch?

Been a while since I've driven stick (like 1.5 years! DOH) and i'm rusty a little..hehehe

i miss it though. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all info, guys, u guys were right, i didn't rev it up more than 2K rmp when i was dragging that GTI....
that's how i got a bad launch, next time i will try to rev it up b/w 3 to 4K rmp, and see how it will do for me. damn, i want to win and save the clutch... ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I say get comfortable with the stick first than drop the [email protected] 4000rpm, but the replace of the clutch is going to come faster. I use to drive 2.0L and VR6 MkIV's, one thing I can tell you about them is that they start pulling very low. My 2.0L power use to drop all the time, but at the low it pulls hard for the turbo and the VR6, but pulls nice for the 2.0
Look at it this way.
The 1st and 2nd for the wrx is a nightmare, but for the 4th gen. vw's, it's their joy.
but who cares, until the vr6's get their engine boosted to 200+ something they don't have a chance now.
I say just get oily and slippery again before trying to race, rust is bad :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts