Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know Subarus are very picky when it comes to aftermarket parts/modifying. I am looking to do a few modifications to my WRX all of which are exterior and are not related to the engine or involve the vehicle going faster. So I was wondering if anyone knows what particular items or actions would void factory warranty. Not sure if there is just a few basic components or if it's a list of items. If someone could share the things that would void factory warranty or if there is a website that would provide said information that would help answer my question. Thanks in advance to those in advance that provide information!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Think of it this way... if you put a wing on your car or wrap your roof, swap out the grill and your engine explodes, that's covered because it has nothing to do with the exterior.

If you install an intake and your engine blows, they have every right to deny your warranty for your engine.

If you install an intake and your radio stops working, your radio is covered as it has nothing to do with your intake.

Hopefully these examples help out.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't think there is an exterior mod you could do to have them deny a warranty claim unless you blocked your scoop from getting air to it with one of those mesh grills. Usually when dealers warns you its more for like a turbo back exhaust, intake, Ect. UNLESS the mod is directly related to what you're trying to have fixed.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
So I was wondering if anyone knows what particular items or actions would void factory warranty. Not sure if there is just a few basic components or if it's a list of items. If someone could share the things that would void factory warranty or if there is a website that would provide said information that would help answer my question.

Nothing can void your warranty. However, you can have specific claims denied based on modifications.. IF the modification is potentially the cause of the issue. And of course Subaru will not warranty the failure of aftermarket parts at all.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
I don't think there is an exterior mod you could do to have them deny a warranty claim unless you blocked your scoop from getting air to it with one of those mesh grills.

If you add a lip and your bumper gets damaged as a result.. or a wing and the trunk gets damaged, or leaks causing water damage. Or if you cut a hole in the roof for a rally style vent and it leaks causing water damage to the interior.. maybe even bearing/suspension damage from running ridiculously low offset wheels... or blown struts from aftermarket springs. Aftermarket headlights causing a short and or burning up the wiring harness..

·
Registered
370 Posts
I was meaning more no exterior mod that will effect his warranty on his engine, transmission, and such. It kinda sounded like that's what he was getting at with the "if I mod it'll void my warranty" bit. Maybe I'm wrong though.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
I was meaning more no exterior mod that will effect his warranty on his engine, transmission, and such. It kinda sounded like that's what he was getting at with the "if I mod it'll void my warranty" bit. Maybe I'm wrong though.

You're probably right.. I just like to take things super literal sometimes, for funzies. :wiggles:

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
Think of it this way... if you put a wing on your car or wrap your roof, swap out the grill and your engine explodes, that's covered because it has nothing to do with the exterior.

If you install an intake and your engine blows, they have every right to deny your warranty for your engine.

If you install an intake and your radio stops working, your radio is covered as it has nothing to do with your intake.

A mod on this site had a mechanical warranty denial due to a wing.

Logical? No.

Yet they did what I predict: they said "no."

The law is useless. Lawyers don't fix cars. You can run a risk or keep the car stock.

Besides, Subaru builds the best Subarus anyway.

·
Registered
784 Posts
A mod on this site had a mechanical warranty denial due to a wing.

Logical? No.

Yet they did what I predict: they said "no."

The law is useless. Lawyers don't fix cars. You can run a risk or keep the car stock.

Besides, Subaru builds the best Subarus anyway.
If a dealership denies warranty because of that.... you're at the wrong dealership lol.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nothing can void your warranty. However, you can have specific claims denied based on modifications.. IF the modification is potentially the cause of the issue. And of course Subaru will not warranty the failure of aftermarket parts at all.
This falls in line with what my dealership told me. Just because you put an intake on your car, it does mean that a bad steering rack or pilot bushing should not be covered.
But I can see how some dealerships might just want to be pricks. The way a lot of dealerships sell cars today, I can see the latter being the majority unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
But I can see how some dealerships might just want to be pricks.

Absolutely.. I remember one person who had bought an 09 (when there was a defective batch that spun rod bearings almost immediately), drove it off the lot.. engine locked up less than three miles down the road, and the dealership denied his warranty claim citing "abuse" as the cause of failure.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Absolutely.. I remember one person who had bought an 09 (when there was a defective batch that spun rod bearings almost immediately), drove it off the lot.. engine locked up less than three miles down the road, and the dealership denied his warranty claim citing "abuse" as the cause of failure.
My local small-town Subie dealer was like a breath of fresh air. No pressure, no stupid sales tactics, just straight forward dealing. I came in with a supplier pricing deal thru my employer and showed them my 832 credit score. Ended up ordering my wife's Crosstrek and had them find me a WRX. I'm sure the fact that I was 55 years old might've made it easier. But I also told them that they probably would never see the two vehicles again, unless it was warranty work. Then the conversation turned to my shop and what I do for a living. So I feel confident that they'll honor their word if a warranty arises. They have a good reputation in the area.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Exactly great example

1 - 15 of 15 Posts