Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many of you here I too recently went through the Vishnu vs TurboXS mental debate. Looking at both of their web sites and performance numbers I almost went with Vishnu because the numbers were higher but then noticed they do their testing in 2 wheel drive using a different type of dyno which make comparing to that of TurboXS very hard.

The june issue of Sport Compact Car has an article "Project WRX" that is based on the Vishnu Stage 0 kit with other after market kits. They tested on the Dynapack and the base "stock" numbers were almost identical to those on TurboXS's site. An apples to apples comparison for a change!

The article had the "stock" car at 167 hp and 208 hp with Vishnu Stage 0. TurboXS has the "stock" car at 168 hp and their Stage 1 kit at 199.9 hp.

Verdict so far is that for about $1000 Vishnu has about 8.1 hp more than TurboXS does.

However, this is only the beginning. The article then tests a few exhaust system on top of the Vishnu stage 0 system. Hmm, I thought this was cool because it's like comparing it to TurboXS's Stage 1 kit. The highest any of the exhaust systems put out on top of the Vishnu system were 218 hp. The TurboXS system for stage 1 is at 222.4 hp.

So at the second "stage" now TurboXS is probably putting out 6.4 hp more than Vishnu system. Now if you consider that at this "stage" you still have two more things that can be done to the TurboXS Stage 1 setup like adding an Up-Pipe and Pulley kit so that you have the "same" hardware on both systems and the TurboXS system really starts to have "more" horses.

According to Vishnu's new website they rate the pulley kit good for 8.28 hp and the up-pipe good for 5.93 hp.

So if you take the TurboXS stage one system and add these two additional bolt ons you'd have about the same hardware as the Vishnu system with aftermarket exhaust and be at 236.61 horses.

236.6 horses for TurboXS
218 horses for Vishnu
I'll take the 18.6 horses!

Has anybody else looked at this?

Carlo

·
2,210 Posts
My 2c:

Shiv appears to be a knowledgable guy and turns out carefully designed and somewhat conservative (read safe) systems. However, I went with TurboXS (with assistance from Godspeed) primarily because; the TurboXS people seem more accessible, multiple vendors carry their systems (Godspeed, Teagues), and the pace of product development at Vishnu is truly glacial and has not kept up with my desire for off-the-shelf horsepower.

AFAIK Shiv is an SCC contributor. Take from that what you will...

-Pace

·
ClubWRX.net Vendor
38 Posts
I have never delt with turboxs but Shiv from Vishnu Performance is just awesome. He keeps all his numbers low simply because he wants to be more conservative. If you don't mind the trouble of installing an uppipe and the wiring for the Unichip you should probably go with the Vishnu kit.

BTW Vishnu Performance Stage 1 is almost out for the WRX and that kit will give you around 300-315hp w/o an intercooler or turbo upgrade. I still dont' knwo how they do it but if I do end up getting them I will definitely do a review on them for you :confused:

·
Registered
310 Posts
I don't care which one , I just want a stage kit :D

They are all pretty good. You talking STI performance here :eek:

·
1,911 Posts
I think that is with upgraded turbo. Stock turbo can NOT put out 315 HP. No way. Suspiciously, 315 HP is about the limit of the stock fuel system. I trust Turbo XS much more than Vishnu due to their experience on the dyno (they run it every single day). Customer service is beyond reproach, it is plug and play and they have an in house Dynapack. What more could you ask for?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I will be the first to admit that i am biased, but i do want to point out that its hard to compare systems off of dyno numbers that are taken on dynos over 3000 miles from each other.

TurboXS is a great company to be involved with. I started as a customer, and have built a very good relationship that way. The way they treated me as a customer made it very easy to decide to go to work for them when they offered me a position.

We may never get to see a true heads up comparison between the various systems, but i think that if you keep your eyes open for time-slips you'll see enough of a pattern to know who runs faster, and by how much. Right now there is a whole slew of TXS customers in the 12s. I’d say our “track” record is doing pretty well. ;)

-Nathan
www.turboxs.com

·
895 Posts
the only way to compare runs on different dynos is to measure the percentage hp gain from stock that was measured on the same dyno.

example:

turboxs's dyno results
stock: 168hp
stage1: 199.9hp

= an 18.9% performance gain over stock

Vishnu's results:
stock: 190.77hp
stage 0 : 224.28hp

= a 17.56% performance gain over stock

so there you have it. the turboxs makes a little more hp, but whatever. i got the vishnu and i love it to death, my car drives awesome. but to each their own.
enjoy!

·
2,210 Posts
WRXrumble said:
Actually anything around 270-280 hp is plenty for me :D
TurboXS Stage-2 would fit the bill: 222HP @ the wheels - factoring in a 20% drivetrain loss gives you 277HP !

Be warned that it's an expensive addiction. I ran Stage-2 for only a few weeks before upgrading to Stage-4 !! :D

-Pace

·
Registered
310 Posts
pace said:

TurboXS Stage-2 would fit the bill: 222HP @ the wheels - factoring in a 20% drivetrain loss gives you 277HP !

Be warned that it's an expensive addiction. I ran Stage-2 for only a few weeks before upgrading to Stage-4 !! :D

-Pace
EJ20 is such a nice engine to mod. Thx for the update :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
im kinda new at this, but isnt it true that with every stage kit, where it be from vishnu or turboxs..the ecus are programmed for those particular mods. so in a sense, u wouldnt be taking full advantage of the mods if u would put a turboxs stage kit then the vishnu uppipe and pulley. some how the piggyback ecu would have to programmed from either company to compensate for the added mods. correct? just my .02

·
2,210 Posts
I may very possibly be wrong; but I don't think the addition of a modification such as pulleys would affect the Unichip map requirements. The Unichip controls timing, boost, and fuel, AFAIK. I don't see how the relationship between these variables would be affected by fitting underdrive pulleys, or pretty much any exhaust component, especially one residing downstream of the turbine.

-Pace

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Pace,

Agreed. Since pulleys will not affect the air/fuel ratio, the timing, or the boost, but simply allow the engine to rev quicker, no unichip change should be necessary.

-Jim

pace said:
I may very possibly be wrong; but I don't think the addition of a modification such as pulleys would affect the Unichip map requirements. The Unichip controls timing, boost, and fuel, AFAIK. I don't see how the relationship between these variables would be affected by fitting underdrive pulleys, or pretty much any exhaust component, especially one residing downstream of the turbine.

-Pace

·
Registered
59 Posts
pace said:

-Pace
what about the uppipe, lets say i get the turboxs stage 1, and i opt to additionally get the vishnu uppipe, wouldnt the turbo piggy back ecu have to be reprogrammed?

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
My Stage 1 map is standard and Mark at TurboXS said it didn't need to be remapped for my uppipe :)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Just as the pulley(s) allow the engine to rev quicker, the uppipe allows the turbo to spool quicker. Again, since the Unichip just looks at Mass Air Flow, Manifold Air Pressure, and O2 Sensor readings to determine fuel and spark conditions, the Unichip needn't be retuned for minor exhaust mods. In this case, tho, a slight adjustment might yield a little-tiny bit more power. ;)

-Jim

Verdugo said:
My Stage 1 map is standard and Mark at TurboXS said it didn't need to be remapped for my uppipe :)

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Hmmmmmmmm maybe it's time for me to invest in some pulleys then....hehe

·
Registered
679 Posts
pace said:

-Pace
that's true about the pulleys, but not about things down stream from the turbo. That is the whole reason TXS has a stage I and Stage II map. The free exhaust lets them tweak it more (so [email protected] told me).

Also, about 1/4 times. Don't judge just by a couple people. What I mean, is people with TXS stageII have been running low 13'[email protected] for a long time. where as most people with the stage 0 run high 13'[email protected], while a couple have somehow run [email protected] which I dissmiss as error/flukes.
you have to get a large sample to make any assessments of 1/4 potential.

-C

·
2,210 Posts
Yeah, it allows them to tweak for that mod. But I'm saying I don't think it will invalidate any given boost, fuel, and timing map (i.e. the relationships between those three variables). The implication was that mods like uppipes, cat-backs, pulleys, etc. singlehandedly render your Unichip map useless. I don't buy it.

-Pace

·
Registered
679 Posts
pace said:
Yeah, it allows them to tweak for that mod. But I'm saying I don't think it will invalidate any given boost, fuel, and timing map (i.e. the relationships between those three variables). The implication was that mods like uppipes, cat-backs, pulleys, etc. singlehandedly render your Unichip map useless. I don't buy it.

-Pace
I totally agree. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts