Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I've searched the forum and couldn't find a post with this specific issue, so I figured it would be OK to ask.

Here goes: I have a relative stock (and new) wagon, and I just received a new 2nd hand Vishnu EMI adapter from a personal for-sale. It even had the wiring harness included! I wired everything according to Vishnu's site, and placed the jumper on Link#3 (Factory Fuel Cut setting). My first run was great - I could see the LED flashing with greater frequency as the boost built up. Under normal vacuum or idle, it would flash slower.

After turning my car off, and restarting it 10 minutes later, the Check Engine Light came on! No loose wires, no other equipment other than the MBC and EMI.

Please, any geniuses out there with some feedback as to what may have happened? I assume if I return the connections to stock and restart it 4 times, I'll remove the CEL. BUT, I want the EMI, 'cause I paid for it! :D

Thanks,

Al

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some more information, since that will hopefully narrow things down. My MBC is a JoeP, set to 14psi in 4th gear. Here in Colorado, 91 octane is as high as we go, and that's what I run. Prior to today, I've just been running with the MBC avoiding the PTFB situation. Everything else is stock.

Thanks again,

Al

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the code I pulled is a P1446, which is a Evaporative Emissions Error (yes, my gas cap is tight). At this point, I'm thinking it's the harness, not the EMI itself. Perhaps there's a bad wire amonst the 100+ in the bundle.

I'm almost tempted to just wire the EMI in directly - does anyone have any feedback on that, specifically, how to make it nearly invisible in case I do need to take it back to the dealer? Is that a chance most of you are willing to take?

Thanks,

Al

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had one of those CEL codes once. I have the EMI adapter plus some other stuff. I checked the cap and jiggled the hoses around the canister below the fuel filler. Whatever caused it, I'm not sure. I cleared it and it hasn't returned.

In your situation, I would call Shiv and inquire just to be on the safe side.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My EMI is wired to the ECU/Unichip with the supplied crimp connectors. I never had that cel. The crimp connectors are wired in a way that returning to stock would be easy (red ECU wire from harness to male connector to female connector to red factory harness wire). Once wrapped up with electrical tape, the crimp connectors will be invisible.

I read that you assume that the cel would go away after returning to stock. Did you actually try it? Reset the cel and drive hard to see if the cel returns? Then put the EMI with harness back on and drive around to see if the cel comes back. Then you can narrow it down.

Good Luck.

tk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your replies! Although my original intent was to not cut into the factory harness, well, I did it. And everything works! It seems the Vishnu harness had a broken wire/solder point somewhere, and I really didn't want to spend hours tracking down one wire.

tonyk - just before I spliced into the factory harness, I did remove the EMI and pass-thru harness and return everything to stock. The CEL went away, which pinpointed the problem to either the EMI or harness. Based on the previous posts/responses, there hadn't been any complaints about a defective EMI, so I figured why not?

Here's a pic of my final install, with my 'custom' mounting plate and DB25 connector.

Thanks again,

Al

·
Registered
22 Posts
Say...

That custom mounting is slick!! It even has the logo. Looks great.

Mine was made by cutting a piece of aluminum and bending it into a box. Not as pretty, but works.

Glad to hear everything is ok.

tonyk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts