ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've never posted here before, so I apologize for introducing myself this way.

This afternoon while heading to lunch in my brand new STi I was slammed by a dark blue (possibly black) Buick, probably a Century though it could have been a Park Avenue. I immediately got out of my car to try to get his license plate, but there was no front or rear plate, and though there was a temp sticker in the window it was very smudged and torn up, illegible from even 10 feet away. He quickly floored the gas and took off, so I quickly asked a nearby driver if they saw the number, and when they didn't I immediately jumped back in my car and tried to follow him. I stayed on him for as long as I could, driving in and out of a bunch of side streets in the area, but the guy was a ****ing lunatic weaving into oncoming traffic and such to get away from me, and frankly maintaining a high speed chase in a half-wrecked car with 911 on the phone is harder than it sounds. He eventually cut in front of traffic and ran a red light to break away from me, at which point I decided I was going to get someone killed if I kept after him. The whole time I was still unable to read his damn temp sticker, even though I was right behind him; it was in such bad condition that I would guess it probably wasn't even valid anymore. Though I have filed a police report and am not at fault, I still am stuck with my $500 deductible on at least $2k worth of damage, and knowing that some asswipe in a Buick is out there grinning about it.

So, the reason I'm posting here is that I'm hoping if anyone sees a late model Buick with a temp sticker (it was not a "new" new car, probably bought used) that is dark blue or black, has a hood that is painted slightly lighter than the body (like it was replaced), and is missing large sections of the silver trim around the bumper, please email me at [email protected], and get the number on the temp sticker if you can (you'd have to be able to walk up to the car and peer at it to have any hope). I'll happily paypal $300 to make it worth your while, because I would like to catch this ****er and doubt the cops will.

The location where this happened was the intersection of Spine Rd and Gunpark Ave in Gunbarrel (outskirts of Boulder, CO), one of the entrances to the King Soopers and shops around there. It was around noon on a weekday, so I imagine the person either works or lives around there. I did drive through all the parking lots in the area this afternoon without luck, but I don't imagine he'd have brought the car back around yet anyway. I know it was a man with black hair driving, but I don't know more then that since I never got a front-on view of him.

Yes, I know this is a long shot but I know there are a lot of active WRX owners in Boulder who read this forum, so a dozen eyes are better than one.

Thanks,
Dustin

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's times like this when the ways of the old wild west would come in handy.
Yeah, tell me about it. In some ways it's probably good that I wasn't able to catch up to the guy, because I probably would have beat his ass.

Tomorrow is my birthday too. Now I know what I'll bet "getting" myself. :(

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sorry to hear about it. That is not a good thing and it really makes me upset. There are four or five of us that live in that general vicinity in Gunbarrel. I am always out and about in that area after five during the week and on the weekends as are Subynoobie and Harvey. I will keep my eyes open. :eek3:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it's me.. you must be Sam. Now Ryan and I can form an even more elite club, reserved for silver WRXs who are missing a front grill -and- have body damage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I lost him around 63rd and Lookout, heading towards Hwy 119.

From where he hit me, I believe he was originally planning to turn left (south) onto Spine based on where he was positioned before accelerating into me, but then decided to go straight to run. I followed him across Spine into the business park, through a bunch of the little side roads in there between the office building parking lots, out onto Gunpark again, and then into some other parking lot. I suppose he was planning to just hide somewhere nearby at first. Then he went back onto Spine, first acting like he was doing to head SW, then popping a semi-U-turn to go the other way. I followed him back to the intersection of Spine and Lookout, where the light was red. He used the oncoming lane to get around the stopped cars and make a left through the red light. I followed once the light turned green, at which point he was already rounding the corner of Lookout and 63rd heading towards 119. By the time I made that corner I couldn't see him anymore.

I had been on the phone with 911 since the business park, probably 5-10 minutes max, who said they would have some officers try to catch him on 119, but I never heard anything more on it.

In retrospect, if I had thought about which parking lots were which I could have waited for him to go into one that has a single entrance, and then blocked it with my car sideways. But, I was only thinking about trying to see the numbers on his sticker (and shift an STi with a cell phone in one hand!).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is one of the newer Centuries, like #1 above. It was very dark blue or black, and will be missing at least a foot of the 1-2" wide silver trim from the left side of the front bumper. Other then that the bumper or side of the car may be smashed/scratched, but I didn't get to see the front enough to tell. I just know about the trim because the pieces were left behind. Other than that, the temp sticker and the hood that doesn't match the body (it's lighter, maybe gray, brown, or a lighter blue) are the most telling indicators.

On my car, the back bumper is smashed, a bit of the side panel is bent out, the metal support under the bumper is badly bent, and part of the main frame of the car in the left rear is bent too. The later sucks, because there is no way to replace it short of cutting out a piece of the frame and welding another on, so the repair place suggested that I just have it worked out by one of their sheet metal guys. Either way, I'm sure my car just became a worthless pos on any vehicle history report.

I think the rear wheel was also hit some, and to me it looks like there are scratches on the wheel from it, but my insurance doesn't want to have an alignment check done since the "main" point of impact was further back and they don't think the wheel was hit (fools). The car feels different to me though, so I am going to have the alignment checked myself (more $$ to spend.. yay), which will hopefully help determine if any of the suspension components are bent as well. The car is drivable thanks to a bunch of zip ties, which make it look almost like nothing is wrong except for a smashed bumper dangling off, but underneath it's pretty gruesome.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That sucks man... I'm in Gunnbarrel everyday for work so I promise I'll keep my eyes out for that guy. I hope things work out getting the car fixed. Justice will be brought to him!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Here's an artist's rendering dramatic re-enactment of what occured :p
Seriously though, I have all tommorow off and nothing better to do so I think I'll go Buick hunting :mad:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts