Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few weeks, I've noticed a sort of vibrating noise around the turbo. I took it into the Subaru Garage and they say the turbo is "done" and they have to check the engine oil for metal filings...which they say can cause leaks in the engine.
Does all this sound legit ?
How much can I expect to pay on this "repair" ? What caused this ??

Thanks !

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,725 Posts
Get a second opinion.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is from a Subaru garage...could they be wrong ?
They called back and said the turbo is blown, and they only found a few small pieces of metal. They offered to replace the entire turbo unit, at a cost of 3500$ CAN ( parts and labor ). I have a private extended warranty, so i am waiting to hear back. They may cover 100% of the costs, hopefully, or at least 80%.
In the meantime Subaru is saying i can drive my car until the parts arrive safely. They strongly said not to use the turbo tho. lol.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,725 Posts
If they have to check the engine oil for metal filings I cannot find the logic in telling you to continue driving the car. I suggest you get another opinion. The cost is not extraordinary for new parts under warranty but is much higher than used pets installed at an independent mechanic. Either way ask someone else before proceeding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts