ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Just bought a used vf39 and usdm sti tmic and I've heard that in order to use the sti tmic on a wrx you need to buy a longer 90* elbow to install. Is this still true if I'm going to be installing it with the vf39? Is this only a problem if installing with the td04?

·
Æternum
20,602 Posts
No, you will need the elbow and TB connector due to the difference in the y-pipe. Did the STi TMIC come with the y-pipe? If not you will need the elbow.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got the sti y-pipe/elbow, so....good to go?

·
Æternum
20,602 Posts
I've got the sti y-pipe/elbow, so....good to go?
IIRC, that should work just fine. Do you have a new IC-TB connector?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not new per-se, it's the sti one but looks to be in good condition. That would be my second question. Some say you need a longer connector for IC-TB as well. Should the sti one work?

·
Æternum
20,602 Posts
Not new per-se, it's the sti one but looks to be in good condition. That would be my second question. Some say you need a longer connector for IC-TB as well. Should the sti one work?
Yeah, the STi one won't work. The STi TB and 2006+ TB is the drive-by-wire throttle, so you'll need a longer coupler for the cable operated throttle body.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good info, thanks! :) I found a 2.75" one for about $10. I'll go ahead and add it to the way to long list of unexpected stuff needed for a turbo swap. :shakehead:

·
Æternum
20,602 Posts
Good info, thanks! :) I found a 2.75" one for about $10. I'll go ahead and add it to the way to long list of unexpected stuff needed for a turbo swap. :shakehead:
Like what else?? I'm doing the 16GXT swap here pretty soon.

Fuel pump, gaskets, oil/coolant feed line, injectors, o-rings, fuel pump + install kit should do it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I think you got pretty much all of it, except that I don't think I need the feed lines since the vf39 can use my old ones. I'm also doing the uppipe while I have everything apart. Looking forward to not having to jack up my engine for removal since I'm swapping the turbo anyway. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts