Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to upgrade the turbo to a VF34, what supporting mods would I REQUIRE?

·
Registered
697 Posts
require?

or

go as fast and safe as you can with that turbo?

Requirement would only be the turbo itself and some kind of boost controller to keep it low.

All out would be, upgraded IC, injectors, Fuel pump, engine management, egt gauge, boost gauge, wideband, etc.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, the thing is, which of those mods would I NEED? That is to say, to run safely and make the vf34 a worthwhile upgrade, what should I get along with it?

What I'm after is the quicker spooling of the vf34....not necessarily huge power gains, though of course, Power=happy Josh

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
like the others said watch you boost or you will run lean with stock fuel setup.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
From Cobb's site:

VF34 Map
Requires VF34, STI Injectors
Turboback Exhaust, Uppipe
STOCK Intake and Intercooler

·
Registered
356 Posts
mourning_air said:
^^^^
Really! :eek:
Cobb stage 2 doesn't require injectors or fuel pump?
Before I make myself sound like an idiot I pulled up Cobbs reflash info on the VF34 you will need THIS

Kory

Nevermind I see one of the resident Post Wh****:D and fellow SWC member beat me to my correction....:cool:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
MtnManWRX said:
Before I make myself sound like an idiot I pulled up Cobbs reflash info on the VF34 you will need THIS

Kory

Nevermind I see one of the resident Post Wh****:D and fellow SWC member beat me to my correction....:cool:
Post *****? I don't know what you're talking about.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Last time I saw a v30/34 setup with out any other mods the log was showing 100% idc long before full boost. be careful.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info guys....I wouldn't be doing this upgrade for a while, but it is good to know what I should do along with it.

BTW, Thunder Alley glow bowling tonight from 11:30-2 AM.....good fun (Centennial Lanes: 303-651-3800)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Last time I saw a v30/34 setup with out any other mods the log was showing 100% idc long before full boost.
Was that at this altitude? We (meaning Bret C.) hooked my VF22 equipped WRX to the select monitor. It took 16psi to get the injectors to go static. I only had a fuel pump (Walbro).

You should be fine at stock boost. However, I would not go above 15 psi without upgrading the fuel system.

Having gone this route, I would recommend upgrading the intercooler and doing an uppipe before swapping the turbo. If you really want to do the turbo swap wait until you have the fuel upgrades and engine management to go with it. Swapping the turbo & keeping the boost at stock levels is definately not the best "bang for the buck" mod you can do.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dizzy, I already have a Perrin up-pipe and AccessPort on order....in the next couple of months will go catless with a COBB DP. The turbo, fuel system upgrades would probably come next year to compliment all the mods I have and will be doing over the next few months

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ian....the COBB DP came out a couple days ago. I think it is $425 for the catless one and $550 for one with a metal substrate high flow cat....go check out their website. It really looks like a bad-azzzz piece of engineering.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Having a VF34 myself, but with everthing upgraded except fuel (coming soon when the weather gets better). I can tell you you that you 'can' get by with just the turbo and a MBC set to 14 or lower - but why? Go through the normal stage upgrades and I think you'll be happier. ;)
Get some Engine Management first - fun to adjust, and be able to see (and change) what's going on with your car.:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dizzy said:
Was that at this altitude? We (meaning Bret C.) hooked my VF22 equipped WRX to the select monitor. It took 16psi to get the injectors to go static. I only had a fuel pump (Walbro).

You should be fine at stock boost. However, I would not go above 15 psi without upgrading the fuel system.

Having gone this route, I would recommend upgrading the intercooler and doing an uppipe before swapping the turbo. If you really want to do the turbo swap wait until you have the fuel upgrades and engine management to go with it. Swapping the turbo & keeping the boost at stock levels is definately not the best "bang for the buck" mod you can do.
Probly low altitude but the log I look to be pushing idc quite a bit. Like you said do the supporting mods to be safe and get the most power.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts