ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all!!!

Got myself a rex and was hoping for some advice from the gurus here...

Was looking at changing the turbocharger on my car and was adviced by my workshop to go for a vf34, however, how does this turbo compare to a vf35?

anyone here has had experience with either or both of these turbos...am mainly looking for good low-mid range with just abit of high end power as well...

are the vf34 and 35 turbos the same as those used on the jdm spec c subarus? if not...what turbo does the spec c use?

any help is greatly greatly appreciated!!!

thanks!!!

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Taken from the Sticky @ the top of engine performance:

vf35 Discussion

VF34:
The VF34 is nearly identical to the VF30, with the same exhaust housing and compressor. However the VF34 goes back to the ball bearing design, and in doing so achieves full boost approximately 500RPM sooner than the comparable VF30. The VF34 is the most recent IHI design and as such costs slightly more than its counterpart. Top end performance and maximum output are identical to the 30.

VF35
The VF35 utilizes the same compressor housing as the VF34 however it also features a divided thrust or offset ball bearing design. The smaller P15 exhaust housing for quicker spool up and a slightly more limited top end. The compressor inducer size is the same as a VF30/or 34 turbocharger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply gusto!!!

so does that mean the vf35 is not a ball bearing turbo? cos ball bearing turbos are supposed to perform better yah?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
vf35 dies up top because it has a small hotside and will not flow a whole lot more than stock to redline, but definately picks up midrange like crazy. It's the stock turbo on the international spec STi's (UK, AUS). VF34 is the JDM spec STi RA Spec C turbo...much better if you ask me since it's larger, makes more power, spools really well on a 2.0 and is ball bearing.

~Tim

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
+1 for VF34

If you're lazy like me and don't want to get your car tuned, you can just get an AccessPort to run your VF34. Otherwise you'll probably need a custom tune if you go the VF35 route. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Despite toasted bearings and a scored turbine* my VF35 ran amazingly well on a base UTEC stage 4 map. As Tim points out, it doesnt have the top end of a 34 or 30 but off-the-line performance is just incredible, a great turbo for around town.

I will be experimenting with the GM boost solenoid gizmo to get my Mitsubishi 16g's low-end to a similar state - the midrange and high end are equal to the best of the VF3x family. IMO its a very nice piece with comparable pricing and a better future (rebuildable, upgradeable, etc).

* Damaged by the moron who installed it without lubricating it, no, not me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts