Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into many turbos, but I've decided that bolt-on is the way for me at this time. I've narrowed it down to a VF34 or an APS SR30. I've heard good things about the VF34, but hardly anything about the SR30. Anyways, I want something with good mid-range. I won't be putting this turbo on until I get some other items, but this is part of a setup I plan on purchasing very soon.

Here's what I plan on getting in the next few weeks:

1. Up-pipe (pde or vishnu)
2. VF34 or SR30
3. Greddy FMIC
4. STI Injectors
5. Walbro or Supra Fuel Pump
6. EMS of some kind. Still debating on unichip, link, or another full ecu.
7. ACT clutch
8. Cobb Flywheel

That's pretty much it for now. Is there anything that I'm missing besides running colder plugs? I pretty much want a setup for the strip and something I can have fun w/ for a little spirited driving every once in a while. :) I'm just a little hazy on what boost to run for the track and for daily driving. Any input or help is definitely appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hybrid-X said:
I've been looking into many turbos, but I've decided that bolt-on is the way for me at this time. I've narrowed it down to a VF34 or an APS SR30. I've heard good things about the VF34, but hardly anything about the SR30. Anyways, I want something with good mid-range. I won't be putting this turbo on until I get some other items, but this is part of a setup I plan on purchasing very soon.

Here's what I plan on getting in the next few weeks:

2. VF34 or SR30
3. Greddy FMIC
4. STI Injectors
7. ACT clutch
8. Cobb Flywheel

That's pretty much it for now. Is there anything that I'm missing besides running colder plugs? I pretty much want a setup for the strip and something I can have fun w/ for a little spirited driving every once in a while. :) I'm just a little hazy on what boost to run for the track and for daily driving. Any input or help is definitely appreciated.
You already have turboback exhaust?

·
1,911 Posts
2. VF34 or SR30

Both kinda smallish for FMIC

3. Greddy FMIC

Don't forget you have to custom weld the flange for the BOV

4. STI Injectors

Want some used ones?

Go for the Supra or the PE pump. I've had a few Walbro units fail on me.

Unichip or wait for the AEM

7. ACT clutch

Poor choice. They are rebuilds. Try an ATS carbon clutch. Lighter, stronger, and full carbon disc. I've tried many clutches, none have worked very well. Finally got hte ATS unit here and so far it seems like a winner.

8. Cobb Flywheel

Always use chrome-moly, never alluminum. Not sure what Cobb uses.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I think you should get the SR 30 since it's -- as I am told -- the fastest spooling turbo for our car.

On another note...why an FMIC and not a TMIC? I just think that an FMIC would make your turbo do more work to give you the same amount of boost a TMIC will give you with less work.

·
2,210 Posts
VF30 currently, but I want something that holds onto boost a little better up top. I'd like to have the ability to push over 20psi efficiently. I'm going to experiment with the VF22 for a while. If it grenades on me then maybe I'll have some kind of hybrid rebuilt using that exhaust housing. We have a local shop called Turbo Engineering Corp, and then there is Turbo Specialties in AL. Both these shops could probably handle the work.

-Pace

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
God said:
2. VF34 or SR30

Both kinda smallish for FMIC

3. Greddy FMIC

Don't forget you have to custom weld the flange for the BOV

4. STI Injectors

Want some used ones?

Go for the Supra or the PE pump. I've had a few Walbro units fail on me.

Unichip or wait for the AEM

7. ACT clutch

Poor choice. They are rebuilds. Try an ATS carbon clutch. Lighter, stronger, and full carbon disc. I've tried many clutches, none have worked very well. Finally got hte ATS unit here and so far it seems like a winner.

8. Cobb Flywheel

Always use chrome-moly, never alluminum. Not sure what Cobb uses.
Thanks for the replies, all. :) I like this better than the other msg. board if u know what I mean. ;) Good advice, god. I'll look into some of the things you mentioned. I was looking @ the SR40, but it is a lil pricey for me. I am aware that I have to weld on the flange for the BOV.

What kind of different clutch types does ATS have that's available for the WRX? Again, I want to use this as a daily driver and occasional strip car. I'm used to aftermarket clutches so the pedal stiffness is a non-issue. Can you PM me with some pricing?

The cobb flywheel is chrome-moly.

I would be interested in some used fuel pumps.

Hopefully I can get this project moving. :)

·
1,911 Posts
Right now we just test fitted the single plate carbon clutch for the WRX. See pics under drivetrain section here on Club WRX. It is good to 500 ps. We had to make some revisions to the directions but went in like clockwork. ATS will be releasing a new twin disc carbon which should handle about 800 ps but won't be ready till later this year. Both come with their own super lightweight chrome-moly flywheel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts