ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, after what is probably the slowest turbo upgrade in history, I've finally got my VF34 installed and running!:)

My new equipment consists of:
IHI VF34 turbocharger (duh!)
STi pink injectors
Helix flex uppipe
Accessport VF34 93 octane reflash

I already had a PDE downpipe and Cobb catback. I'm now footloose and kitty-free!:wiggles:

Observations about the install:
1)Working absolutely alone on something like this makes for some slow work! But I learned one hell of alot about my car. All I have to say is research, research, research. Couldn't have begun to do this without ClubWRX and Nabisco.
2)The GBOD's weren't QUITE the nightmare I had psyched myself up for. I did sweat profusely in my un-airconditioned garage for a solid hour getting both brackets out. Finding the bolts is easy; maneuvering the brackets out was tricky.
3)I used just a dab of lithium grease on the injector o-rings, and they popped in nicely, and no leaks, yet.
4)For some reason, when I put in the new turbo, I really had to work to get the oil outlet pipe into it's respective hose. I also had to work hard to get the oil banjo fitting threaded back in the top of the turbo.
5)My Cobb AccessPort seems to have worked flawlessly. I'm pleased with my purchase.

Observations about the new performance:
1)The car definitely has a lower pitched growl to than it did before. I don't know if it's a function of the uppipe or other things.
Sounds really, really mean!:)
2)There is a bit more lag, perhaps 3-500 rpm over what I was accustomed to with my Cobb stage 2 on the TD04. I'm going to give the ECU a few days to learn; my Stage 2 map seemed to get faster and faster over time.
3)At WOT, I'm boosting to about 17psi and holding 'til redline, which comes REALLY fast now. In fact, I'm having trouble getting a good boost reading, because there's just not that much time to look between shifts. I'll have to pay attention when I merge onto the highway, tomorrow.
4)At partial throttle, the power doesn't seem terribly impressive. Could be a function of the larger turbo, or the ECU needing to learn. I should comment that this map seems to be very smooth. Very drivable.

That's it for now! I'll update after the ECU has had a chance to do its thing.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Keep us updated as the car learns its new turbo.

I will be doing the exact thing you are doing later this year.

Is the topend difference night and day ?

·
48,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Answers to questions, and reflections upon my commute in, this morning:

Yep, it's got LOTS of topend, at least compared to the TD04. Solid power to redline. Very nice.

I'm running Cobb's standard VF34 93 octane base map. I didn't download a realtime, since I had no intention of running anything different than what my base is. Should I be running a realtime map?:confused: Now you've got me concerned that I'm missing out on something. (Edit: Did some reading, don't think I need to specify a realtime map if my base map is correct for my setup)

Don't have an EGT gauge, though I'm thinking about getting one.

This morning, boost was hitting about 16.6 psi or so, and holding. No spiking. For the record, I transplanted the entire boost hose assembly (outlet of turbo to T, T to wastegate, T to FBC) from my stock turbo to the new one. My reading on Cobb's forums indicated that this was the way to go.

Coolest discovery of the morning: 4th gear actually pulls! I was so excited; you should have seen the grin on my face as the car jumped from 65 to 85 in 4th gear.:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ray, I'm going the same route you are in the next month or two. But, I will be adding a GT Spec header into the mix. I'm hoping to be able to keep up with the tail lights of my brother-in-laws stg 2 STI. I'm currently at stg 1 Cobb, going to stg 2 today. Keep us up to date on how goes.

·
48,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments!:)
I guess if there's any downer to any of this, it's that there is a bit of lag in the system, now. I don't think I realized just how lag-free the TD04 was at a fully adapted Stage 2. I'm thinking it will get better over the next week or so.

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
RayfieldsWRX said:
I guess if there's any downer to any of this, it's that there is a bit of lag in the system, now. I don't think I realized just how lag-free the TD04 was at a fully adapted Stage 2. I'm thinking it will get better over the next week or so.
Nope, it's just going to get worse until you can barely drive it in traffic anymore. I suggest removing the turbo, injectors, fuel pump, and sending them to me so you don't have to be burdened by all that lag. I think I can probably deal with the lag, so I'll gladly help out a friend:D

·
48,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
trainrex said:
Nope, it's just going to get worse until you can barely drive it in traffic anymore. I suggest removing the turbo, injectors, fuel pump, and sending them to me so you don't have to be burdened by all that lag. I think I can probably deal with the lag, so I'll gladly help out a friend:D
Thanks for your kind offer; I think I might give it a while, yet...:)

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
RayfieldsWRX said:
Bah, don't scare me...I have the vf22, will probably be noticeably laggier then your setup.

·
48,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rcfitz86 said:
can a 5spd wrx handle that power with stock interals and trans? would you need an upgraded clutch?
I don't do hard launches; we'll see if I have problems with my clutch or tranny. I tend to believe that my engine internals will be ok, as long as my map is pretty conservative. (Which Cobb's maps traditionally are) I am tempted to start a fund for "what if" scenarios, so I can buy forged internals or an RA gearset if I need it.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Treat your car well and it will handle the power well! But dude, GET AN EGT GAUGE You need to monitor those with your upgraded setup, especially if anything were to go wrong, your EGTS are a good starter for diagnosis. PLEASE GET ONE! :eek3:

·
48,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'd need to tap for a new EGT sensor, right?

Edit: I poked around a little and it looks like I'd need to take off an exhaust manifold and have it tapped. I had it off to do my uppipe install; wasn't that big of a deal.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Ive got the 4EAT.

I was cobb stage 2 for about 11 days before i splurged for the 34.

My first impressions:
Wow this is laggy. I went from 2800-3k RPM Full spool to 3700 full spool. But when it does come on to boost.......wow. Im now used the the RPM and spool time and the car just pulls like a monster.

Heat: This thing generates tons more heat than the stocker did. I looking into getting the chimney from speedmonkee to combat it.

Like you said top end wise........theres no comparison. On the TD04 the car was a turd after 70-80 MPH. This one just keeps pulling past 100.

If you go to the track often then id say get your gauges. I dont have them and dont really feel the need honestly. I think you should more into cooling for the turbo and IC. Stage 3 is coming this summer for Cobb which is suppose to include a bigger IC.

·
48,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
skyjock41 said:
I think you should more into cooling for the turbo and IC. Stage 3 is coming this summer for Cobb which is suppose to include a bigger IC.
Yeah, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of their Stage 3. It would be nice to upgrade the TMIC. Do you feel like your intercooler hoses have made a difference? (Are they a worthwhile expenditure?)

·
Registered
773 Posts
RayfieldsWRX said:
Do you feel like your intercooler hoses have made a difference? (Are they a worthwhile expenditure?)
Everyone says ya but when i did mine it was at the same time as the 34, pinks and fuel pump so i couldnt tell you yay or nay. The stockers are tons more rigid so id have to say the smoother the air flow the better. 120 bucks isnt that big of deal.....go get em!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts