Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my turbo soon. Are there any advantages in getting the VF34 over the VF30? I've read that the Vf34 spools up faster...that's the only advantage that I could see.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i was pretty sure the VF30 and the VF34 are the same size turbo, identical in almost every way, but the VF34 is a ball bearing turbo and spools a bit quicker. the VF34 is also newer and a bit more expensive. somebody correct me if i'm wrong...
o-|-<) bryan

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Wrinkleboi said:
i was pretty sure the VF30 and the VF34 are the same size turbo, identical in almost every way, but the VF34 is a ball bearing turbo and spools a bit quicker. the VF34 is also newer and a bit more expensive. somebody correct me if i'm wrong...
o-|-<) bryan
Bryan has learned well from me. The VF34 is superior for spool up, but is the same turbo. Get the VF34 if you can save your money. You won't be sorry.

-Jim

·
Registered
424 Posts
Can someone who knows the differences between all the popular turbo's make a list here that tells the good/bad points of each turbo along with their estimated max HP so we will have a guide to look at when picking our turbo's? This would answer a lot of questions on "which turbo is right for me?"

VF22
VF30
VF34
PE1818
PE1820
etc.?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
In a recent decent discussion with [email protected], I have sort of changed my opinion. I still think the VF34 is superior, but it only spools 100-200rpms sooner and is not worth the extra money and limited availability (2 month wait) to most people. I will be using a VF30 before my Garrett Turbo installation.

-Jim

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
jmussetter said:
Can someone who knows the differences between all the popular turbo's make a list here that tells the good/bad points of each turbo along with their estimated max HP so we will have a guide to look at when picking our turbo's? This would answer a lot of questions on "which turbo is right for me?"

VF22
VF30
VF34
PE1818
PE1820
etc.?
The PE1818 and PE1820 are reclipped VF23 and VF22 ball bearing turbos. Pretty big bolt-ons.

VF34 and VF30 are from the group N rally cars of the WRC. Better spool up, limited top end. VF34 is BB, VF30 is oil charged plain bearing.

-Jim

·
2,210 Posts
The VF34 and VF30 have more top end potential than the '23 (bigger compressor housing). According to TurboXS, the '23 also spools more slowly although some user's experiences contradict this.

I have heard many conflicting opinions regarding the VF34 versus VF30. Since I have no personal experience with the '34 I cannot comment. However, if I were to do it over and were given the choice between the two and the now small price difference, I would choose the '34.

The maps I have seen on I-club indicate that the PE series flow more than any of the VF series turbochargers.

-Pace

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm thinking that a VF30 or VF22 is probably the two choices I'm going between.

I want something that can handle ~300WHP not much more, but doesn't sacrafice lag TOO much. I'm thinking that a PE1818 and 20 are a little big for me and probably too laggy. Is the VF22 just as laggy or is it a little better than the PE series?

What kind of HP can the VF30 and 22 support?

·
2,210 Posts
jmussetter said:
I'm thinking that a VF30 or VF22 is probably the two choices I'm going between.

I want something that can handle ~300WHP not much more, but doesn't sacrafice lag TOO much. I'm thinking that a PE1818 and 20 are a little big for me and probably too laggy. Is the VF22 just as laggy or is it a little better than the PE series?

What kind of HP can the VF30 and 22 support?
The '22 will probably be a little laggier than the 1818, but not so much as the 1820. Somebody who has used all three of these turbochargers may be able to give you a more informed answer on that though.

I don't pay too much attention to the fixed upper HP limits specced for a given turbo. Why? Well, I realize that there are finite practical flow limits for a given compressor, but there are also any number of ancilliary modifications that can be made to raise the HP of your WRX such as pulleys, intake, etc. Furthermore, modifications such as Nitrous injection can render the theoretical limits of any given turbocharger somewhat of a moot point.

For example: My recent 108mph trap speed indicates that I'm putting somewhere in the region of 320HP to the wheels. This could be anywhere from 370HP to 400HP at the crank, depending how you figure it. Most everybody will tell you that a VF30 is not good for that kind of power output. So, does my turbo defy the laws of physics? Obviously not; I am simply not relying solely on the VF30 to get cool dense intake charge into my combustion chambers. A large front-mount IC would have a similar, although somewhat less pronounced effect.

That being said, I would think a VF30 is probably good for around 300 to the wheels (give or take) on a vehicle with 'conventional' modifications. I'm guessing the '22 will be good for another 20-30HP peak. This will be at the expense of some lower-midrange and a hit in turbo spool-up time. The VF22 is a relatively old design and probably not worth considering unless you are on a tight budget and/or just into experimenting with different turbochargers for short periods of time.

-Pace

·
Registered
68 Posts
so the VF34 is probly the best for me i wanna run TURbo back exhuast, vishnu 0, FMIC and a new turbo i guess VF34, can somoen give me a web address with a price on it. or somting.?? and does any one have a simliar setup? what times\HP did you run? or does n e 1 have n e opinions?

·
2,210 Posts
If you are serious about purchasing a VF34 immediately, then take a look at the thread titled 'Ihi Vf34'. Otherwise, plenty of vendors carry them; just search around when you are ready and you'll likely find somebody offering a deal.

-Pace

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
pace said:
If you are serious about purchasing a VF34 immediately, then take a look at the thread titled 'Ihi Vf34'. Otherwise, plenty of vendors carry them.

-Pace
:confused:

In my quest for the VF34, I couldn't find any in stock. Hence, I'll be getting a VF30 instead.

-Jim

·
2,210 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:

:confused:

In my quest for the VF34, I couldn't find any in stock. Hence, I'll be getting a VF30 instead.

-Jim
Did you see my post re: the turbo deal? Nate is just looking for one more buyer to put the order through. You could be that man! $1150 for a VF34 is a good deal, whichever way you look at it. Once we reach the target quota, I don't think it'll be more than a week or two 'til we have the units in hand.

-Pace

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
pace said:
Did you see my post re: the turbo deal? Nate is just looking for one more buyer to put the order through. You could be that man! $1150 for a VF34 is a good deal, whichever way you look at it. Once we reach the target quota, I don't think it'll be more than a week or two 'til we have the units in hand.

-Pace
:(

It's too late, I ordered the VF30 from TXS already. I heard nothing of this deal. Oh well, the VF30 is only temporary anyway.

-Jim

·
Registered
424 Posts
So if the VF22 is more laggy than a PE1818 then I guess I'll go with the 30 or 34. I was hoping the VF22 would be better since they are a lot cheaper than the 30series for somereason. I'll probably have to go with a VF30 since price is of the essence. I have the Vishnu stage 0 (minus the pully...but it's comin'), and plan on adding turbo back + turbo + injectors + FP + and MAYBE N20 in the end. That will be the extent of my engine mods for awhile, until I'm done with the appearance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts