Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running a VF22 with Greddy FMIC, UTEC, STi Injectors etc....

The turbo's OK, and the top end feels pretty good compared to stock, but as is always the case, I want more. Now that Forced Performance is out with their bolt on 20G, I am considering getting rid of the VF22 for one of these turbos. It's only $1100 plus $45 for porting, and that sounds like a pretty damn good deal for a turbo that they claim flows 650CFM and can hold 25-27psi. I also understand that spool starts at 3300 and max is reached by 3600 which honestly is almost identical to the VF22. Picking up no noticable lag and getting a bump in power is what I'm looking for, so I was wondering if you all thought this was a good, low-cost option.

-Michael

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mmmmmmmmm,

The dark side sounds like fun.....

I can't wait to order this thing and get some numbers. Better get a new clutch real soon....

Would I need some bigger injectors for this puppy (got 550's right now)?

-Michael

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
The 20g will provide soooooo much more topend then the 22. Welcome to the dark side. :)

-Jim
Is this all being done on stock bottom ends....?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For now, yes.

It should be similar to running a PE 1820 on the stock internals. I am indeed planning on building the motor at some point and going with a Garret 32R, but until then, I just want more power..

Forced Performance and XS Engineering have assured me that the stock bottom end can handle the power just fine with a proper tune. So, it looks like I'll go that route for now. Next up after the clutch/turbo is gonna be a Kaaz gearset and then I'll start saving up for a looooooong time for the engine build (any suggestions there).

-Michael

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CKxx said:
http://www.crower.com/ haha.

How much whp do you expect from the 20G

EDIT: and when will this monster be at cecil???
Well, properly tuned, I'm sure the 20G should be able to make 350+ WHP at 25psi (it's rated to 450 engine), but I'm not sure it's safe to run that much power.... I think I'm going to try to eke 325-335whp out of it on pump gas (94). My goal right now is 11's on stock internals no nitrous, and I think this turbo can pull it off with a new clutch (goin with an ACT street disc). My 60's were low 1.8's on the VF22 with slipping stock clutch and no-launch control; so I'm sure they'll be even better once the ACT goes in plus I have the UTEC Stutter box now.

I'm in cali for the summer, but I'll be back in balto come spring-time. I want to make a bunch of runs with my current setup and then come back with the 20G and bigger injectors to see what it can do! I think I'll probably pay a visit to TXS when I get the 20G so I don't blow anything up and so I can share some numbers on what kind of power it's capable of on a stock motor.

PM me whenever you plan on headin out to Cecil in the fall, I love goin with a posse hehe; it intimidates people!

-Michael

·
Banned
968 Posts
thats gonna be close.....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mili727 said:
thats gonna be close.....
I like to live...... dangerously :D

Yeah, cross your fingers for me please! I guess if the engine goes it's just speeding up the inevitable!

·
Registered
748 Posts
At what power level will you normally start breaking engine pieces? (rods, pistons, etc.)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Upgraded clutch will mean more shock on the stock tranny right?

Good luck with the 20g either way! I'm gonna be running an 18G next week hopefully, but the only reason for that bad boy is because I'm up in Denver and need a turbo that can push that much to run the same boost levels as people at sea level.

·
Banned
968 Posts
STIwish said:
At what power level will you normally start breaking engine pieces? (rods, pistons, etc.)
After 300whp.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Schaf100 said:
It's only $1100 plus $45 for porting, and that sounds like a pretty damn good deal for a turbo that they claim flows 650CFM and can hold 25-27psi. I also understand that spool starts at 3300 and max is reached by 3600 which honestly is almost identical to the VF22. Picking up no noticable lag and getting a bump in power is what I'm looking for, so I was wondering if you all thought this was a good, low-cost option.

-Michael
Yes, it definitely is a low cost option you should consider. I remember a year ago when VF turbos were going for this price.

I have this turbo on my car right now and based on my short experience with this turbo (also note tuning does play a factor in achievable boost).... I can get around 16psi around 3600rpms but I really doubt the turbo could get max boost (25psi) @ 3600 rpms like they might have claimed. I'm willing to bet you would see that type of boost @ 5k+rpms.
Turbo is pretty much a bolt on affair, I did have some problems getting the up-pipe bolts to line up.

Also worth mentioning...the turbo is NOT water cooled.
I am also seeking out injector options (right now I have sti's) and I know one of the previous issues of SCC had a formula to gain the proper injector size. I'd like to be able to use the UR 600c along with a ECU reflash.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts