Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the money for a new turbo, but I am hesitant on which one to get. I am basically lookin for faster times at the track. I am not too worried about top end cause it was hardly there in the first place. My stock turbo is messed up and I need something reliable for under 800 bucks. I don't plan on going over 400hp in the future. I am lookin at around 350 in the future. I am leanin more towards the VF30 but the VF22 I can get cheaper.I read a little about them both. Anyone have the VF30 or VF22 that can give me info based on experience.

·
Registered
507 Posts
It sounds like the VF30 will better suit you. The VF22 is more, if not all top end. Just make sure to do the supporting mods when you up the boost with the new turbo so that your engine is safe and is less likely of knock. The VF22 is cheaper than the VF30 because it's a little older as far as production.

I have the VF22, but it's only temporary until I know exactly which route I want to go. Good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't get why the VF22 is supposively more power rated at 400+ compred to the 350+of the VF 30. I know it is an older model,but you get a new turbo. Well I am gonna think for another 30 minutes then buy one

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the turbo lag rpm for the VF22 but what is it for the VF30??

·
Registered
507 Posts
JoeyD02 said:
I don't get why the VF22 is supposively more power rated at 400+ compred to the 350+of the VF 30. I know it is an older model,but you get a new turbo. Well I am gonna think for another 30 minutes then buy one
The VF22 is larger and flows more air than the VF30. Here's some specs on both.

http://www.mrtrally.com.au/performance/docs/turbo-data.pdf

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i went ahead and ordered the IHI VF30 from Gruppe-S. The best price I could find. now all I need are new gaskets and I will be all set. the fuel rail and injectors will be next and a new intercooler.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Just make sure to tune it with the e-manage once you put the injectors in so it'll run nicely and you can up the boost. ;) BTW, how do you like the e-manage? Haven't heard much about it really.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i haven't messed with the E-manage yet cause I just got it installed and I need a wide band A/F gauge for accurate readings. It took them a while to install it at one of the shops here. I have a GReddy A/F gauge that reads the actual ratio, but they(GReddy) said I need a true wide band gauge. Now I am gonna sell the Greddy. It sucks cause I paid $300 for the gauge, but I need a different one to tune it with. i will probably remove it and sell it for what I can get for that gauge. The wide band gauge will run me about $800. After I get the Vf30 and injectors.etc. I will tune it and post the outcome. Now I see why people change their set ups all the time. I think it is easier for me to sell the E-manage and get a TXS UTEC. I should have went that route from the get go.

·
Registered
507 Posts
That sucks. Yeah, things change all the time. I remember the first time I was planning on doing mods, I wanted the VF34. I have the VF22 now, but I want more power so I'm probably going to go with something else. Let us know about your progress. I'm going with the UTEC also.

·
2,210 Posts
I've run both. For all intents and purposes they offer virtually identical performance.

The VF22 might offer marginally better top end, and contrary to popular opinion it does spool slightly sooner (250rpms according to my datalogger). On the other hand, they have been shown to have a very limited lifespan when pushed moderately. The VF30 is a more modern unit and consequently will be significantly more durable. My turbo guy tells me that the '30 is also easier to rebuild.

-Pace

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am not sure if you will realize any difference in it. I just took my VF30 out and replaced it.

The VF22 is an older model like mentioned. You are def. better off with a VF30 since its a newer design. The VF22 has had many reliability issue due to the old design.

Yep, the VF30 is easier to rebuild. :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
On the note of rebuild, last I heard (a couple months ago) IHI did note produce rebuild kits. Did one of you find out something different?

I'd go VF30 if you aren't going to push it too far. I've tried so many turbos it's hard to compare. Any of the IHI turbos (less the tiny ones) will feel SO much better than the stock 13g. You'll be happy.

·
2,210 Posts
vanguard said:
The 22 is a roller bearing turbo; the 30 is floating metal. The 30 will spool quicker. The 22 can pump alot more air.
My personal experience (as well as that of several other local users) is that the '22 spools measurably sooner. Just curious if you have personally tried both turbos, or are repeating what others have told you?

-Pace

·
Registered
63 Posts
My apologies as I was repeating what I read- i have no personal experience. I read a comparision on a data sheet- the 22 has a larger housing and larger A/R ratio and inlet diameter. Assumed from this data that the 30 would spool quicker (perhaps the roller bearings make a big difference).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm considering a new turbo as well (see my other post for the reason :mad: )

anyway, There is some good info here, but one thing i haven't seen answered is the difference between the VF30 and the VF 34.

also what about the APS mentioned above.
Have been hearing about FP turbos as well.

I'm lost..this is my first turbo car and I need help making the decision. I drive a LOT. 31k miles in a year :eek:

Looking for all around improvement, but mostly down lower if possible.

also, is engine management a MUST? I know its suggested but do you HAVE To have it w/ an upgraded turbo injectors and pump?

·
2,210 Posts
Just for kicks, I once tried running my 565cc injectors without any form of additional engine management. After a week, the ECU was still unable to lean the fueling to the point where I would be able to build any decent amount of boost. As soon as I hit about 5psi the motor would make a farting noise and plumes of black smoke would follow my WRX.

So for injectors, yes you MUST have some way to take control of fueling. As for a bigger turbo - I personally feel that anyone who runs a bigger turbocharger on the stock fuel system is taking chances. You should look at engine management BEFORE a turbocharger IMHO.

Just my 2c.

-Pace

·
Registered
4 Posts
APS turbos are top of the line, most likely out last your car if treated right. They are also very expensive =( The SR30 I hear is an awesome all around turbo, though I have no experience with it. The SR40 is mostly top-end as boost doesn't max until near 4,000rpms. I find it perfect for daily driving though because not boosting down low is just nicer on the car for a trip to the grocery store anyway :) When I want power, there's more than enough available in the upper rpm range.

ALWAYS get some form of engine management before a turbo, etc. You will be glad you did. The VF34 spools considerably faster than the VF30, if I hadn't gotten a killer deal on this SR40, I probably would have gotten a VF34.

Fuel pump and injectors are needed if you plan on running a good amount of boost on your new turbo. The stock injectors can shoot enough fuel for all that extra air. It is not necessary right away though as you can keep the boost low (around 12psi I recommend) until you do get larger injectors. This is what I am doing now and it is fine, sti injectors in the mail though =)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I ordered the VF30 already. I thank yall for your helpful input. When I get it i am only gonna run 12psi because i heard this from somewhere else. that 12 is the magic number if you still have a stock fuel system. I will run it at 18psi when I get the injectors and fuel pump and a bigger Intercooler. The bad thing is the track near my house closed down last weekend. So now I have to go to New Mexico and run it there. It is at the same altitude. i ran a [email protected]/13psi with a broke stock turbo. man was it screamin all the way down the 1320.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts