ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon To All,

I have a bit of an issue with my MY02 WRX Wagon, my setup consists of the following:
VF22
Denso Iridiums ( one step colder ~.026)
Perrin Turbo Inlet Hose
Greddy FMIC Kit
Greddy Airinix Intake
Helix Catch Can
Helix Downpipe
TurboXS Uppipe
TurboXS Type-H RFL Blow Off Valve
Brullen Catback
Sti "pinks"
Walbro 255
UTEC & ABC

The map I have comes from my old car that was running the same exact setup and made 305whp.

The situation is this: 1st gear is fine, 2nd gear boosts quite nicely, third boosts, hesitates, boosts again and then cuts, giving me the P0244 CEL (Turbo/Sup Wastegate Solenoid A Range/Performance) i.e. the overboost CEL.

I have been in contact with a few people and no one can figure out if it is creep or spiking.

My questions are as follow:

1) I am using the wategate hoses (the hoses that go to the nipples on the turbo then to the abc) that came with the 22.. should I use the stock hoses? I've read around about a restrictor/pill in the stock hoses.. maybe my 22 hoses didn't come with that?

2) What the heck should I set the ABC to, I have it turned down to absolutely closed (- (minus) all the way) and it still goes over 23 psi according to my logs.

3) Would an exhaust leak between the downpipe and catback have anything to do with this?

4) What the heck else am I missing? The car idles fine, doesn't knock (knock on wood) and it seems to just want to go and go, hell it even keeps boosting after the CEL. Could it possible be the heatshield is hitting the wastegate arm? In effect, keeping it closed for a longer period of time than it should or ???

5) Does my blow-off valve have anything to do with it?

I will be in much debt toward the individual(s) who can help me out with my issues here. I appreciate any input/info, etc.

Regards,
Gered

P.S. I am on a shared internet connection and I only get ~1 hour a day online in total, so I try to check up on my email at least 1x an hour (5 mins per hour X 10 hours = ~50 mins..)

Thanks again in advance!
-G

·
Banned
1,637 Posts
Wow your ABC is all the way closed and you hit boost levels of 23psi and above? This is odd. With only the stock solenoid controlling boost you shouldn't be able to get anywhere near those levels.

It sounds like you recently installed this stuff in a different car. Have you checked to make sure that the DP isn't interfering with the wastegate? If it isn't opening all the way this could be the culprit. How about the wastegate actuator and actuator arm - are they alright?

Just a few thoughts...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The downpipe is of a bellmouth design, i highly doubt that is the reason.. I'm going to see if the restrictor 'pill' is in the hoses comin off of the turbo or not.. ive heard you need to swap the stock hoses to new turbos so that you have that restrictor in there.. any thoughts on that?

And if that doesnt work I'm going to tweak my map down to have boost below 20 and if that still doesnt work im going to load a base stage 4 map and go from there.. if it still overboosts then i know its something mechanical not programming wise..

Thanks for your thoughts.. have any other ideas? How about everyone else.. please people I need this car for this weekend, long trip and its the only vehicle i have.

-G

·
Banned
1,637 Posts
I doubt it's the restrictor pill. Taking that out typically results in low boost (7-8psi) as opposed to the overboost you are seeing. It's a quick fix, though, so no harm in trying.

I also agree that you should copy the map you are using into a new map number (so you have two). Switch to the copied map and toy with the boost settings a bit and see what happens.

Also, have you checked the hoses/connections to your ABC and stock boost control solenoid for leaks?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yah leaks are sealed.. im gonna go out and try the map settings.. ill get back to you on that.. thanks for your ideas !!! seriously you are the only person that has responded to me out of the 6 forums i have posted on :-\. you get a star for the day :)

-G

·
Registered
773 Posts
Use the stock T and hoses that are on the td04. Thats what fixed my spikes.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
skyjock41 said:
Use the stock T and hoses that are on the td04. Thats what fixed my spikes.
Been playing around with those hoses today... trying to see what the hell the problem is. Well stock TD04 hoses have a restrictor right before the wastegate, where the VF22 hoses have the restrictor on the opposite end by the turbo outlet. My car was tuned to 16 psi and spiked to about 17 in 2nd and 3rd gears, with the stock hose in with the correct orientation, it made a solid 10 psi with no spike or anything... but I have an ECUTEK reflash, so I need to get a hold of my tuner. So, a note to VF22 future owners, swap the wastegate hoses BEFORE spending way too much money for countless jacked up tunes!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts