Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinions neede. I'm torn between the VF 24 and VF 30. On one and the VF 24 spools at lower rpms and peaks at 17 psi. this means to me that no chip/fuel is required. The Vf 30 is being hailed as the VF 23 replacement, but both the 23 and 30 require engine and fuel management beyond 16 psi. So, do I run the VF 30 at 16psi, perhaps underutilizing its capabilities or go with the VF 24 and get lower end power? If there are any VF 23 fans left (remeber, I'm sticking at 16 psi - Please speak up!)

·
Registered
94 Posts
My suggestion would be that you should have proper management running the vf24/28/29 series. Hell, I would even go so far as to say you should probably be running a larger set of injectors with that series of turbos also (which even further necessitates the need for proper management). The 24/28/29 will hold alot more boost to redline and will be pushing the injectors into the upper realms of duty cycle (however, certainly arguable as to what level becomes dangerous or increases the potential for failure). Can it work? Sure, no problems, but your going to need some fancy BC to make sure you are tapering down in the higher RPMs. If it is a money issue (management or turbo, but not both), I'd suggest going with good management. You'll make the same (hell, maybe even more), power over the new turbo.

jb

·
Registered
16 Posts
veritas said:
Opinions neede. I'm torn between the VF 24 and VF 30. On one and the VF 24 spools at lower rpms and peaks at 17 psi. this means to me that no chip/fuel is required. The Vf 30 is being hailed as the VF 23 replacement, but both the 23 and 30 require engine and fuel management beyond 16 psi. So, do I run the VF 30 at 16psi, perhaps underutilizing its capabilities or go with the VF 24 and get lower end power? If there are any VF 23 fans left (remeber, I'm sticking at 16 psi - Please speak up!)

I have run a VF24 in my GF8 ver 4 JDM WRX wagon for the longest time (87,000 kms to be exact) @ 1.2 bar boost as a daily driver. The factory ecu is specifically mapped for the factory turbocharger and running the same map with a higher flow turbo carries some risks. However, due to the the self-learning capabilities of the Subaru ecu, it can accommodate a bigger turbo such as the VF24. I have run mine with an upgraded intercooler, EBC, FCD, with the factory ecu as well as a Link computer.

The important thing is active monitoring of what's happening under the hood. Knock, Air Fuel Ratio, EGTs, Boost and injector duty cycle. The mods I had allowed me to experiment both instances of running with stock ecu as well as aids my tuning of the Link computer. Details of the equipment I had can be found here:

http://forums.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=2239697#post2239697

Performance, I have found the VF24 to be very good for street purposes. The VF24 is an RHF5HB ball bearing that shares the same P18 exhaust housing size as the VF28, 29, 30 even the PE1818 so bottom end spool is good. It will easily pull to 7000 rpm redline something I do habitually in gears 1-2-3-4, aided by a JUN SuperLight 5.3 kgs flywheel.

Bottomline is, you can run the VF24 or even a VF23 provided you can actively monitor critical information via the gauges. Yes, motorsports is an expensive hobby. There are no shortcuts!

jb, thanks for your kind comments on another thread ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.