Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the VF-22 last night...Install was a breeze. Turbo spools up about 3900 and is

My mods are vf-22,upipe,downpipe,greddy exhaust,and sbc-id.

My question is at 14.5 psi it feels slower than the stock turbo. I dont really want to turn the boost up till i put in the injectors and fuel pump and front mount intercooler.Ill probably do that install in the next couple weekends.

Now should i order a Unichip or the Link ECU? or can the factory ecu handle these mods for a while?thanks

What would be the max boost i can run now and after the fuel upgrade?Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
factory ECU will have a hard time ( or never ) accpet the new fuel upgrade, with your mods, especially vf22 which can produce high prssure of boost, ECU is a must for pushing the potential of VF22.
happy modding.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Nope, several of my friends are running VF22's on stock ECU's perfectly fine.

One has UP, DP, ec, bcc, mbc and VF22. He run consistant [email protected] at 16.5psi.

The other has the same mods + STi injectors and VF22. He runs the same times at 16.5psi, but at 19psi he ran a [email protected] with hitting the rev limiter in 3rd gear.

In other words it can be killer on the stock ECU. Just make sure you have a way of logging it.

·
Registered
907 Posts
with your mods your pushing your cpu to its limits, I suggest a piggyback unichip...

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
TypeC said:
Nope, several of my friends are running VF22's on stock ECU's perfectly fine.

One has UP, DP, ec, bcc, mbc and VF22. He run consistant [email protected] at 16.5psi.
Aloha,

I'm a dork - help me out with the acronyms please! :) EC? BCC? Are you saying he's running a VF22 on the stock ECU with stock injectors and pump? Wow. That sounds like a cheap was to hit the 12's! I'm interested! :)

Mahalo,
Richard...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Nexus6 said:
with your mods your pushing your cpu to its limits, I suggest a piggyback unichip...
How do you figure? So, somehow the stock ecu can't handle a VF turbo? Nope, it handles it just fine. You'd be suprised how much it can do.

is2scooby said:

Aloha,

I'm a dork - help me out with the acronyms please! :) EC? BCC? Are you saying he's running a VF22 on the stock ECU with stock injectors and pump? Wow. That sounds like a cheap was to hit the 12's! I'm interested! :)

Mahalo,
Richard...
BCC = boost cut controller. It allows you to run as much boost as you need without getting boost cut.

Yeah, stock injectors, stock ecu, just full exhaust mbc, VF22, and bcc. You can also adjust fueling with his type of bcc.

My other friend has a S-afc which he uses with his datalogger to insure good fueling.

No matter what way you go, make sure you datalog.

·
Registered
28 Posts
slin02 said:
factory ECU will have a hard time ( or never ) accpet the new fuel upgrade, with your mods, especially vf22 which can produce high prssure of boost, ECU is a must for pushing the potential of VF22.
happy modding.
Problem occurs when bigger injectors are introduced. I have yet to see anyone running both a bigger turbo and bigger injectors NOT having any problem.
ECU will not adjust itself to accomodate open loop condition (>60% throttle) and the car will lose its power dramatically. I was running so rich, I could smell gas from the tailpipe. This condition will not go away(or at least it didn't for me with 2 weeks of driving around) until it's manually managed by a computer (Unichip, SAFC, Link, etc.)

Doug

·
Registered
176 Posts
Here is my input:

I personally went down to Cobb to get my WRX unichip tuned with VF22, bigger injectors, atowater intercooler, intake, exhaust, pullies, etc...

Everything went great but when I came back to 6000ft. above sea level the tune was a little off and when the dead of summer came I NEEDED to beable to adjust my fuel and timing which with the unichip I couldn't.

I bought a Link. So far in the 4-5 days it has been GREAT. Now keep in mind the following. I had access to two different maps. One that sponagule uses which the only difference in our setup is he runs a FMIC and some other minor stuff. And the other map was from phast who lives up here at 6000ft. who modified sponagules original map. So, in short, I had an EXCELLENT starting point. First time I tried my car started but a lot of adjustment was needed... enter the wideband A/F meter :). It has been indespensible. I would NOT do the LInk without one personally or any stand alone for that matter. I know it's expensive but right now I have my car dialed in in about 2-3 days.

Right now I am running about 190-205kPa of pressure = 18.5psi on my boost gauge = equivalent of running about 14.5-15psi at sea level on the boost gauge. I am running nice and rich with decent timing and I am seeing NO DETONATION AT ALL!!

But the main problem everyone has told me about with this ECU is you have to be willing to tweak it on either a weekly or monthly basis becuase of varying weather conditions. I have had one person call it "the electronic carberator" and I think that might be fairly accurate. Only time will tell but so far the ability to adjust FAR outweighs the fact that I made need to crack open the laptop (even once a week) to tweak the idle, etc...

It all depends on what your comfortable with as well. It took me a LONG time (over a year owning the car) watching all my gauges to see what was happening as I slowly upgraded parts and then with the unichip to get an idea of how things should be and how to tune with regard to how much timing where and what A/F ratios you want where.

On a side note I used to run a VF22, full 3" exhaust, intake, atowater intercooler, with stock fuel for about 3 months with NO problems. I used to run about 15psi but remember we lose about 3psi up here to atmoshperic. I have heard VF22's at sea level on stock fuel are limited to about 14psi before you start to lean out. Even installing a fuel pump should give you another 1-2psi of safety margin to turn up the boost from 14.

Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Dougeefresh said:

Problem occurs when bigger injectors are introduced. I have yet to see anyone running both a bigger turbo and bigger injectors NOT having any problem.
ECU will not adjust itself to accomodate open loop condition (>60% throttle) and the car will lose its power dramatically. I was running so rich, I could smell gas from the tailpipe. This condition will not go away(or at least it didn't for me with 2 weeks of driving around) until it's manually managed by a computer (Unichip, SAFC, Link, etc.)

Doug
Definately. People running afc's have had success (as with other cars) controlling bigger injectors. I'm going to go that route as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
TypeC said:

Definately. People running afc's have had success (as with other cars) controlling bigger injectors. I'm going to go that route as well.
Not to hijeck the thread but what about ITC? How would not having ITC control affect the system? I know Unichip controls both. Would adjusting just air/fuel with SAFC result in less power than using both SAFC and ITC?
I am still trying to learn so be gentle;) ;)

Doug]

·
Registered
31 Posts
TypeC said:

BCC = boost cut controller. It allows you to run as much boost as you need without getting boost cut.

Yeah, stock injectors, stock ecu, just full exhaust mbc, VF22, and bcc. You can also adjust fueling with his type of bcc.

My other friend has a S-afc which he uses with his datalogger to insure good fueling.

No matter what way you go, make sure you datalog.
The DeltaDash should be good right? Which BCCs are the best? and which type will adjust the fuel pressure with boost cut? The WRX is 1:1 already, right?

·
Registered
679 Posts
madwagon said:

The DeltaDash should be good right? Which BCCs are the best? and which type will adjust the fuel pressure with boost cut? The WRX is 1:1 already, right?
No, a BCC/FCD only stops boost cut and adjusts the maf or map (can't remember which) to lean or richen accross the board (some just remove boost cut). They do not change fuel pressure.

Yeah, the stock WRX FMU is 1:1. I can't comment on which one is better, because I don't have one yet (my friends do). The delta dash will rock.

-C

1 - 13 of 13 Posts