ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a performance show today and they were modding a Dodge deisel truck. They were installing a prototype variable vane turbo.....wish I could remember the name. Anyways, it adjusts the vanes in the turbo for super fast spooling and then for maximum volume on the top end. Looks like it could revolutionize the turbo tuning industry.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is what I found out:

Because turbos have to deal with a very wide variation in air flow through a fixed size and shaped housing with fixed shaped turbine blades this represents a compromise rather than optimal performance. A variable vane turbo uses a method to dynamically alter the shape of the exhaust housing depending on how much boost it is producing. This allows for a more efficient gas flow across the turbine and therfore lower lag. The shape of the housing is altered by using a concentric ring of blades in the exhaust which can be forced to fan out in the air stream. The second benefit of this set up is eliminate the need for a wastegate. Once the turbo reaches its maximum speed the change in the angle of the blades reduces the efficiency of the turbine, preventing it from spinning any faster.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
those variable vain turbos are hideously expensive.. More like 2-3 times the cost of a conventional turbo. They do work, but the cost is prohibitive.

·
Registered
331 Posts
That was Extreme 4x4 on Spike Tv... and the kit was the Banks Sidewinder kit.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
jigga said:
those variable vain turbos are hideously expensive.. More like 2-3 times the cost of a conventional turbo. They do work, but the cost is prohibitive.
how much would a conventional turbo cost? because I see people spend up to 1.5 grand on turbos left and right it seems, yet as low as 300.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Is this in any way related to the variable-nozzle size turbos that they put in the big ole' 18 wheelers? I was talking to a guy from the R&D department in Mack truck over Christmas last year and he said that's all that goes in the latest big-arse diesels these days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts