Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn!!!! I could kill someone. I get home, and some kids outside the complex yell something at me as I drove by. I didn't hear what they said and paid no mind, as they were about 12 or 13. I park my car in my car port and go inside. Immediately I hear the kids walk by my door toward the 4 carports. So I went back outside in order to make sure my alarm was set (something didn't seem right.) My neighbor chased the kids off (or so he thought) when he saw them trying to take his kids basketball. In a period of 20 minutes or so, I came back out to find a nice deep scratch about 5 or 6 inches long. The fact it zigs different directions tells me it was not an accident, and it's on the driverside door AND rear quarterpanel. I havn't had an estimate on it yet, but I'm guessing an $800-$1000 paint job since it's on more than one body panel.

My car has 5000 miles on it. I havn't even had it for 2 months yet. I saw my other neighbors son talking to these kids when I got home, so I might have a chance at finding out who these kids are, but I can't prove anything. Their parents will get an earful though and a chance to fix the damages. Any idea's????

My insurance deductable is $500! As far as I'm concerned, if I have to pay for it, I'll make sure their parents find the same fate on their cars if I find out who any of them are.

Sorry guys, I know I'm complaining, but this just happened a couple hours ago and I needed to vent.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yea man...i feel your pain...my car's spoiler was ripped off the trunk....I had my fog light broken...and people have been messing with my side mirrors. Its simply the price you pay for having a nice car....dude....simply be thankful the car was not stolen....thats a true nightware....try to buff it out...they have some amazing wax out there that can do wonders in hiding key marks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
whoa man,

bad luck.

About those kids though, if you don't feel sorry for them you can call the police and tell them what happened and tell them that you have a clue who the parents were and they can help pay. That way they would have to help out but the kids out be punished and learn a lesson and never do it again.

There was this one time where me and verdugo were driving the car from Golden Gardens and we past this bridge. Then a couple teenagers that were about my age on top of the bridge started to throw eggs down at the car. Verdugo was so pist because when we got back home and tried to clean it, it would not come out and left very big scratches.

It really sucked

·
Registered
64 Posts
Unless you had a few witnesses to the incident or have it on video the police aren't going to be able to help you. I doubt that you would win in civil court as well. Just them yelling and then you finding a scratch won't be enough to get any money out of them and a civil court judges decision won't even mean that you will get the money. They'd likely drag it out a long time or move. Then again if they were on welfare you'd not be getting any judgement at all. Good luck with your car. Hopefully the little bastard will actually have something nice someday and another asshole will damage it for them. Give them a sense of how you feel right now.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
It's really too bad corporal punishment is banned in such cases. That would certainly teach these punks something....they leave marks on your car, and they get marks on their behind. Remember that American boy who spray painted someone's car in Singapore? He should have gotten all of the lashes...

·
Registered
64 Posts
What's worse was within a couple months of returning his ass to the US he got arrested for doing basically the same thing. So maybe they should have given him all the ones he was supposed to get and a few more in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
I'm sorry man, you should definitely talk to their parents and see if they can pay for the damages caused by their children. A couple of years ago my brother's friend's Toyota Supra TT wtih a full authentic Veilside Kit and some $4000 rims got stolen at the park by a bunch of 16 year olds who didn't know how to drive a stick. At the time he didn't have insurance because he just came back from Asia for a long visit. The car was found later, the rims were all scratched up and bent, the body was all messed up, and the interior was all scratched up becuase they tried to steal his headunit.

Anyways, what you can do with your car is reporting it as a vandalism and the deductable should be very little. On top of that your insurance shouldn't increase becuase it's not an accident.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
What's sad is when even the parents are so messed in the head that they come up with outrageous comments like it was the victims fault for parking the car in proximity to them. I worked at a day camp where one of the kids stole something off another, the parents of the thief were called and the parents said it wasn't their child's fault, the other kid shouldn't have brought the item. Some people just have messed morals and frankly I think we're all too lenient on such matters...look at all these 13 year old kids from the burbs acting like they are part of the "hood" and cause trouble because they think they can get away and that it's badas* to do so.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I still need to talk to my neighbors kid, as he is probably the only one who could possibly identify them by name (since I think they all go to the same Jr. High). I still don't know if he knows who they were or not though.

My problem is going to be getting any information out of the kids about which one did it. The fact that there are 3 kids and only 1 scratch means that 2 of them didn't *actually* do it. The only thing I can think of is to talk to each one with their parents and try to get the innocent ones to rat the guilty one out to save their own butts. Chances of this happening are nill, but I see it as the only way to find out who it was for sure.

Then, even if I find the guilty party, getting their parents to pay for it is going to be another challenge all together, cause as you guys said, parents will defend their little theiving, vandalizing brats till the end. At least if I can find out who it was for sure, I can still get even, even if they don't wanna pay, otherwise, I'd have to key up 3 cars to punish 1 person, and that doesn't seem like the best thing to do to me. I don't have a problem getting even with the actual guilty party and their parents car though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry to hear that. You live in the Bay Area, right? Have you had an estimate done for the scratch yet? There is a body shop which did some nice job for me twice. I won't hesitate to recommend them if you're interested. They are in Albany, north of Berkeley. The shop's name is 101 Auto Body.

Anyway, good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Good luck with everything. I think it would be a good idea to talk to all of their parents first to see if anyone can identify who the child is. Ifthe parents of that kid who actaully did scratch your car refuses to compensate you for whatever reason, make sure the rest of the neighborhood knows about it and send out a warning not to park their cars outside becuase your car got scratched up by a kid who lives in that neighborhood.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I know the feeling. I came out of work (I work at a University) about a month ago to find the same thing on my drivers door. Only it is about 14" long. All the way down to the metal...no wax is gonna fix it :( Still haven't looked into some touch-up paint. I really don't want to spray my whole door.

VV

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BlazinWRX: Of course it would be obvious that I did it, however, it IS obvious that those kids did it too and look how much trouble I'm having trying to prove it. Let's see their parent's try and prove that their new scratch was done by me...

RNN14: Hell, I'd do it myself if I had too. Another alternative is to pay some big 10-12th grader (a minor basically), a couple hundred buck to kick the living s**t out of 'em. That money would be almost as well spent as putting it toward repainting! ;)

I still need to get an estimate, I don't know if I'll fix it right now or not. I might use Touch-Up on it for now, and then when I get my Morettes and Spoiler, go ahead and have my brother paint the two body panels as well while we got the paint already bought and mixed.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Why don't you go through insurance? They should be able to take care of it for you as a case of vandalism.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Insurance usually means a deductible....

My car (not a WRX) got broken into two nights ago...

They took my headunit, 2 amps and my sub...

I got a $500 deductible...which basically puts me $500 behind on getting me a wrx... :(

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Exactly...my insurance ded. is $500 as well, so I'll be paying for the majority of the work out of pocket if I fix it.

Plus, the only reason I got a WRX was because I was in an accident with my 3000GT in Nov 01, so I already have 1 claim on my insurance, I don't want my rates to start climbing because of multiple claims.

·
Registered
12 Posts
sorry to hear your loss.

btw, which part of bay area you are from?

Cal

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I live in the East Bay in Richmond/El Sobrante. But drive all over for work, so you can find me down in San Jose and SF all the time too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts