Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed much knocking noise from the rockers or valves? Mine is fairly audible at low rpms and then it goes away once about 2500rpm or so. It it more noticeable at idle than in gear.

A buddy of mine said that it sounded normal, but suggested I double check since he doesn't know the boxer engine that well. He also mentioned that if the valves were the source, then an oil change would reduce it for a week or so, then it would come back. (Apparently slightly increased RPMs at idle with no corresponding increase in oil pressure is a possibility.)

What do yall think? I just want to make sure the car is still running right..... only 3700 miles so far.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does it happen only when the engine is cold? If so it could be piston slap (which is normal). If it is the valves an oil change will not make any difference. These engines use solid lifters with shim-under-bucket adjustments (like a sport bike).

I thought I heard a similar noise about 2 weeks ago when the engine was cold. It went away once the engine warmed-up and has not come back.

Edmunds made a comment that there test vehicle made a "rat-tat-tat" noise that was common for a boxer engine (just like an old style VW or a 911)

I know these engines make different sounds from say, a chevy V-8. If the sound is consistently heard you could always run it by your dealer and have them take a listen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I can hear the same noise when the engine is warmed up, but it is very faint. I'll check again tomorrow and see if I can make sure.

Mid to Hi revs the engine sounds and feels great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts