Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking my heads in from my '06 WRX Limited wagon to a local head shop to have them checked out and rebuilt as needed. I was hoping someone in the club could give me a little education on what I should expect from the machine shop as far as cost and things that should definitely be replaced on the heads. The reason for having the work done is that I was pretty sure I had a burnt or not sealing for some reason exhaust valve. I deduced this by putting the engine at TDC and blowing compressed air into each cylinder and listening to the exhaust pipe for air leak. I had a leak in the #3 cylinder only. The car had overheated a couple times because of cooling system failure prior to the engine issues arising. The issues were rough idle, misfires.

I was thinking about purchasing a HG kit online, and was wondering if anyone could suggest the best kit for the buck, and what the part number for my car would be. 2006 WRX limited turbo EJ25. I have read through a lot of the post about head gaskets and it sounds like it is best to use OEM, sixstar, or Felpro (although some people have had issues with the felpro). So my main question is what parts will I definitely need to replace, because I am going to go ahead and buy them now, and then deal with the rest after the shop does their diagnosis. If anyone has the part numbers for all the parts that would be much appreciated. I keep seeing Evergreen and Gates manufactures for a lot of the parts I am going to be needing, does anyone know if they are any good? Their prices sure are good, but as the saying goes you get what you pay for, which makes me a little hesitant to buy the cheapest.

Thanks for taking the time to anyone who responds.

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
Mine are still good on my 2011 with 90k so I would recommend factory.

As far as the head goes, it depends on what's wrong. Shop prices vary greatly across the country so I can't speak to pricing but expect them to find anything out of spec and fix it. Flatness, bad seats, guides, etc.

It may also be a great time to do a timing belt and water pump job

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks XJman, I am definitely going to do the timing belt, as I broke it while trying to get the cam gears off, the guy who I purchased the vehicle from said he had just replaced it less than 5000 miles ago, but he did not say and I did not ask about the water pump, so I will probably go ahead and replace it too.

As far as the the valves, I was just wondering if they find nothing else wrong with the valves (which I hope is not the case because then I did this all for nothing) what parts will they need to replace just because they took everything apart or what parts should be replaced just because you can? I think the stem seals definitely need to be new, and obviously the HG, maybe that is it if everything else checks out, but I would like to know from the pros and die hards out there what else they would spend money on while it is all opened up. thanks.

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
jms70wrx said:
I'm in Flowery Branch, Are you in GA? My daily driver is 2008 Tacoma PreRunner,
I'm not.

Top Speed Motorsports in Alpharetta. They do a lot of work on Subarus in the area. See what they have to say.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts