1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

First time posting in a forum hoping someone can help me out

I have a V7 STi Wagon (GGBA)

Some how I managed to break something internal in the front left strut (part number: 20310FE030)

Now seeing as the wagon seems to be fairly rare I'm having trouble finding a replacement. so my query is how different is the sedan version 20310FE010.

or what would you recommend I do to get the car back on the road again?

I've talked to a guy here in NZ who thinks he maybe able to put Bilstin guts into my existing front shocks and valve them to match the originals - an comments welcome.

The reason I'm looking into other options is i have been quoted NZD $2560.00 for a genuine STi strut.

thanks in advance, I look forward to your replys

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
First, the front wagon and sedan struts are different in the fact that the length of the hub clevis is shorter on the wagon.

Second, If the strut housing is still in good shape you should be able to remove the inverted damper from the strut housing. The damper in these struts is a completely enclosed inverted cartridge. There is a single nut on the bottom of the housing. If you remove that you can slide the damper out from the top. A replacement damper can be used from any v7 or v8 STi strut.

Make sure you regrease the inside of the strut housing before installing the new damper guts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, good news how the sedan and wagon interns are the same. so basically your saying the only part which is unique to the wagon is the strut housing?

I pulled out the strut tonight, and she's snapped clean in half ouch.... but the housing looks fine!

will post some photos so you can see.

I've purchased on Trademe (our version of ebay) two sedan front struts - If I've understood you correctly I will be able to fit the guts of them into my wagon outer sleeves (strut housing)

Thanks heaps for the Post 'wrx wagone'!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok Guys, turns out the strut housing is not fine,

There are two bushes (guess that’s what you call them) one near the top and one near the bottom of the tube (painted red) which the shock absorber cartage slides into. The top bush is fine, but the bottom one has partially moved and is now more spiral like instead of a circle as a result any replacement shock cartage will catch on it.

Do you think it would be possible for me to re-locate the bolt holes on the hub clevis of a sedan strut? Or is there more to it than that?

Thanks, Zac

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
so basically your saying the only part which is unique to the wagon is the FRONT strut housing?
Yes.

Do you think it would be possible for me to re-locate the bolt holes on the hub clevis of a sedan strut? Or is there more to it than that?
I wouldn't do it. That is a major suspension mount point. I wouldn't compromise the structure of the strut.

You can use the sedan parts, albeit with reduced negative camber.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys,

It's been a few month now, in the end I had my outer casing which contains the bushes, repaired by a guy in Auckland. He was able to remove my old bushes and press some others in from a donor sedan strut he had. Charged me $140 NZD for parts, labor and postage. The most amazing part about his service was the turn around, I sent the strut housing away Monday afternoon and got it back Wednesday morning.

His web site is:
Welcome to Suspension Tech, New Zealand

At the same time I also brought a set of front sedan struts for $115 second hand, with the intention of using the shock cartridges as donor parts with my wagon strut housing's.

However, when these turned up I quickly noticed they where actually wagon ones from a GGB-B identical to mine therefore I put them strait in, both left and right to ensure similar wear.

Got a wheel aliment and all is now good :) Plus I have a spear left-hand strut minus shock cartridge as spear parts.

Cheers,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts