Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy, If I said install a set of V6 STI strut on WRX.
What are your comments?
Is it good to put one on? what kind of modding I need? What to aware? etc....
Thank you for all the inputs

·
Registered
170 Posts
The first mod you would need is to have Subaru build a V6 for the STI. This is a very complicated mod and I do not recommend trying it by yourself.

You really need to be aware of all the red tape involved with Fuji Heavy Industries' top executives when requesting a new engine to be built. Many new developments will probably be required to support the new engine, including the development of the "V6 STI strut."

:D

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
cnoff,

If Subaru ever builds a V6, I'll sell my car in protest.

HORIZONTALLY OPPOSED RULES, SON!!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was like, "WTF?!?" :confused:

-Jim

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
cnoff said:
The first mod you would need is to have Subaru build a V6 for the STI. This is a very complicated mod and I do not recommend trying it by yourself.

You really need to be aware of all the red tape involved with Fuji Heavy Industries' top executives when requesting a new engine to be built. Many new developments will probably be required to support the new engine, including the development of the "V6 STI strut."

:D
LOL, you guys are a trip!

So, jakrex, what are you talking about?

BTW, Pt, what about a horizontally opposed 6, or 8, or...? Would you buy one of those?;)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
WRXed said:
BTW, Pt, what about a horizontally opposed 6, or 8, or...? Would you buy one of those?;)
HELL YES! What about the Ferrari boxer 12 with integral transaxle? Best drivetrain of its time, hands down! I wish Ferrari would build a new "flat" engine and put it in front of the rear wheels! (Drool is forming in my mouth!)

-Jim

·
Registered
785 Posts
Subaru has a new H6 that they are putting in the outbacks, but I've not heard many good things about it and I don't expect to see it in an STI ummmm ever.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
wrxinthehouse said:
Subaru has a new H6 that they are putting in the outbacks, but I've not heard many good things about it and I don't expect to see it in an STI ummmm ever.
Subie's new H6 is a great engine, but it should be making WAY more power than it is. I think they are leaving themself room for steady 5-10HP increases over the next few years.

-Jim

·
Registered
310 Posts
wrxinthehouse said:
The WRX get's the 2.0 litre because of FIA rules right.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry....i think it's my mistake for not making it clear....
V6 I'm talking about is "version 6" STI in Japan...
So my question is actually, is if I said put a GC8 STI strut on our GDA WRX. Any comment on that?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have the H6 engine in an 01 Outback VDC my wife drives.

This is a "luxury" car in my opinion with amenities typically available in higher end autos. MSRP is about $32+ K. The ride is great, I love the leather, and the power is fine. The H6 is very smooth but could use just a tad more torque in my opinion. I haven't drivent the car very much. The Macintosh stereo is fabulous for a stock unit.

She hates driving the WRX which is another great feature about the Outback.

Russ

·
Registered
785 Posts
Most people when they are talking about "version" somthing use a lower-case "v" and a period.

v.6 wing or you could just type version 6. Hopefully this helps.

:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
jakrex,

Why do you want to install a version 6 strut onto
your GDA WRX? Without some mods, the struts will
not allow you to have the correct camber setting.

How do I know? Well I installed some GDA struts
onto my GGA WRX (wagon). The front camber was way
off. The rear camber was barely in spec. I'm
pretty sure the GGA has the same suspension
geometry as the GC8 cars.

You will need elongate the hole for the camber
bolt in the front. For the rear you will also
need to elongate one of the lower holes and get
a set of camber bolts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tnmn28, I know it will cause camber problem. If I use camber bolt to correct that, is it still good to use one on GDA?

wrxinthehouse, Thank you man, I'll learn :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, with camber bolts and some small mods GC8
struts will work on a GDA. For me I didnot want
to make these mods on a very important component
of the suspension.

The question is why do you want to? Are you
getting a really great deal on these? You could
order the latest STi 4-way adjustables struts and
springs and have not issues with camber, etc.

I don't mean to come off sounding harsh, just
my opinion and experience.

·
Registered
310 Posts
From what I know only coilovers have no camber problem. Also the KONI inserts with any aftermarket spring will also fit perfectly. KYB is working on a new AGX rear strut for the wrx, not available till next year :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've seen this done twice now with two different GDA's using GC8 struts and both times the person wasn't too happy with how the car sits. Once using v6 struts/springs and the other using a whiteline/kyb combo.

Excessive lowering in the rear resulting in serious camber problems/rubbing etc. The rears on both setups were tucked. Fronts were ideal drop and with the factory camber bolts, could dial in enough positive camber to make it reasonable.

The v6 strut/spring combo felt very comfortable, but I would look for properly designed struts/springs -- even if it might cost a bit more. It will be well worth it.

I am seriously considering selling my DMS setup and going with STI. I was really impressed them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i think he meant STi version 6...

EDIT: blah im an idiot....of course he ment that...

sorry...lack of sleep.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
If you want STi struts at a reasonable cost, consider v7 struts/springs from AVSport. These are takeoffs from new Euro spec STi's (being built for rally) and even include the Group N top mounts all for ~ $1250. These are the same strut/spring SOA is selling for the same price, but minus the tops. Built for a GD so no headaches.

The other advantage is these struts are designed specific for the springs (and tops)- a very well sorted combo.

BTW I've heard v6 struts have gone up considerably in price- don't know if true or not.

Big Sky

1 - 20 of 20 Posts