ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2013 wrx and I'm planning a full build but I'm 16 so i don't have a lot of money lol, should I buy a cobb accessport? I've talked to my friend who's a tuner and he says it isn't necessary but I wanted to hear it from my fellow subigang members. pleaseee helpppp.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,329 Posts
I don’t follow. You have no money but are doing a “build?” $700 isn’t going to matter either way. It is unlikely you will modify the car given what you’ve said.

·
Super Modulator
19,402 Posts
If your tuner says it's necessary, it's necessary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If 650 bucks is a lot of money the last thing you need to be doing is modifying a vehicle.
Yes, 650 is a lot of money for me but that doesnt mean i dont have it or cant get it. I have a job in order to modify my vehicle. Thanks for the support tho bud, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don’t follow. You have no money but are doing a “build?” $700 isn’t going to matter either way. It is unlikely you will modify the car given what you’ve said.
All I'm asking is if a accessport is really worth it in the long run from people who have owned an accessport and have fully built their cars. My car is a project and I'm modifying it little by little.

·
Master linguitist
10,105 Posts
Yes, 650 is a lot of money for me but that doesnt mean i dont have it or cant get it. I have a job in order to modify my vehicle. Thanks for the support tho bud, I appreciate it.
Let me stop you right now.

These cars have a long storied history if catastrophic failure. If 650 is expensive the 10k engine replacement is going to be really fun. I would highly suggest not modifying your vehicle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So I have a 2013 wrx and I'm planning a full build but I'm 16 so i don't have a lot of money lol, should I buy a cobb accessport? I've talked to my friend who's a tuner and he says it isn't necessary but I wanted to hear it from my fellow subigang members. pleaseee helpppp.
Hi, first and foremost is a COBB ACCESSPORT necessary, the answer is NO. It is only necessary if you at any moment decide that modification are a must. If modification on car is a must then an accessport is great. Also bear in mind, there is many ways of performing tune, etc. You do not need an access port from cobb as there is many out there (OPENSOURCE ROMRAIDER). Cobb accessport does make it easier and much less cumbersome to perform tunes, etc.

If the car remains stock, then you do not need it. What i mean by stock is you do not adjust or change any component having to deal with engine. Suspension modification do not need cobb accessport (i have a 2013 subaru wrx in case i didnt mentioned it above).

I would also suggest you learn to properly drive the car under different loads. Trust me i've ruined my car by not properly driving (not driving like a maniac thats always on the run from the cops). Also stay up to date on all maintenance, this will make sure the car will always stay fresh and prevent your pockets from getting badly damage (story time: i pushed out certain maintenance on my car for a few months, it ended up damaging nearby components making the total cost 3x, bear in mind i drive it like i stole it, its what subaru do best GO GO GO! :). I've attach a list of maintenance and when to do them. This is cumbersome but do remember you are driving a rocket on wheels and without the proper science to maintain such a beast, well it will break down like any machine in existence. Also i have an accessport from cobb which i use to datalog the car. It provides me data to stay up to date on its condition. Later i will incorporate a python program to provide actual visual data to see how my car reacts as data forms. Within a year i hope to swap accessport to an opensource utility since i would like to make my subaru unique to itself. Anyways this is fruit for though, hope it helps as some avoided answer the question. Always be prepare to drop money, you've chosen a platform that can easily destroy itself but will bring many smiles and laughter when running well.

UPDATE: I reread your post to make sure i answer the question and i though of something. If i could offer some advice, the best modifications a car can have at the beginning is never power but drivability (new word, ability to drive). Adjust suspension and work on reinforcing the chassis. The car can output tons of power but if not properly distributed to the wheels, it will lost it throughout the system reducing your overall power. So work on that, trust me you'll notice the car handle and drive better to the point it feels faster mainly because power distribution is been properly delivered without any time delay to the wheels. Once you have that, hopefully your budget will be better and engine modification can be performed (stock WRX ej255 can easily do 300-320HP with proper tune and good maintenance under stock internals, etc). FIND A TRUSTED TUNER, they are more important than what you'd think mainly for subaru.

·
Registered
3 Posts
how much r u driving for 15k a year i drive 5500 a year that just seems a lot to me but i change my trans/front and rear diff at 6k that's just me though i've done it with both the evos i had and my sti

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is true, you don't need Accessport but it definitely helps. Accessport is more than just monitor your engine, it is also a diagnostic tool, launch control, etc... I say buy it if you gonna do a "BUILD". It will make things a lot easier.

·
Super Modulator
19,402 Posts
My t

My tuner said it ISN'T necessary.
Then what engine management will your tuner be using to recalibrate the ECM?

There is a lot of talk here about the Tactrix. Indeed it is a capable tool. The table definitions for the GR and VA chassis Subarus are often incomplete or even missing compared to Cobb or ECUtek. It's been almost 10 years since Merchgod left the OpenECU project for Cobb and although there are plenty of great people still working on the project, it doesn't have the traction it did in the late Naughties -- that and an ever-increasing level of ECM complexity. There are good alpha defs available, but truthfully most tuners won't use Tactrix any longer due to poor ECM support and an inability to license-manage the maps.

That leaves Cobb, ECUtek, or a piggyback/standalone solution like Vipec, Megasquirt, or Haltech (which often cost $thousands).

SO back to the original question -- what is your tuner planning on using to map the ECM?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts