Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just install a Cobal EGT electronic Autometer gage…
2 inches away from the turbo like the manual says……
My question is at 16 PSI what is the common temp on the WRX.?
What is the most exhaust temp allow in or motors????
Testing the car a few minutes ago in 3 gear from 3000 rpm to red line the gage reaches 1,320 f. temp before letting go of the pedal at red line….
Mods in the car at the moment
UTEC stage 2 map
Greddy Evo exhaust
HKS down pipe
Injent cool air intake
Greddy front mount intercooler
Greddy boost controller @ 16 PSI

I am trying to see was is the correct exhaust temp before installing all of my other mods so I can create a patter of safe exhaust temp to help me tune the car with bigger turbo and more boost , remember no awd dyno here no fuel sensor to tune the car……….


Jose Savinon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Help

No one has a Egt with UTEC stage 2??????/
Help people give me some info.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,020 Posts
my egt's are in the range of 600-700C....that's 1112-1292F...

i beleive that as long as you are under 1600F you should be ok
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
2 inches from the turbo?????:confused:
Is it installed in the uppipe?
it should be installed in the Manifold near the heads.
Tuca
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Autometer recommends installing it in the downpipe IIRC, and for that, deduct around 250 F from your temp, to at least be able to compare to others.

Rather than EGT though, do a datalog and watch that....then use your EGT in conjunction to help you tune..add or take out timing/fuel/boost as needed!

Adam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
U LIVE IN DR???? AHAHAHAHAH I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. I'm Dominican too dawg. My mom was born there and I have family there!!! I know you must be gettin mad girls with the rex over there. wooo!!! :D heh...sorry...I got a little carried away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Mine is installed in the downpipe. 1300 F is OK- that is what I get at 55-665mph. Hammering it gets me 1550F. Do not exceed 1600 F. I do not have a stage 2- stock ECU with a VF24.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
YES

I live in D.R. The woman here are great but they don't really care about cars I think?????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Z1 Performance said:
Autometer recommends installing it in the downpipe IIRC, and for that, deduct around 250 F from your temp, to at least be able to compare to others.

Rather than EGT though, do a datalog and watch that....then use your EGT in conjunction to help you tune..add or take out timing/fuel/boost as needed!

Adam
Deduct 250!? I've always been under the impression that the temps closer to the cylinders are more accurate and higher than those found in the Downpipe. I remember hearing that you have to ADD to the temp you get in the downpipe, not deduct.

Blue

Mine is set near 3'' away from the cylinders in the casting button and I get approx 850 at WOT on a hard sustained run. (I'm running Stage IV though)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,020 Posts
yes...it is correct that you have ADD to the temp when it is in the dp....

that is where i have mine installed...i didn't what to have to worry about the sensor either falling out or melting off and blowing threw my turbo and destroying it if it was in the in the uppipe or near cylinder #3...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
I currently have mine in the downpipe and in two weeks it's getting replaced. I've been reading the debate on where to mount the EGT, and the thought of it crumbling near the manifold is scary. Probably rare, but stranger things have happened and it's not worth the risk for the light amount of mods I have! I think I just made up my mind. Thanks!!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
WRC_Obsessed said:
yes...it is correct that you have ADD to the temp when it is in the dp....

that is where i have mine installed...i didn't what to have to worry about the sensor either falling out or melting off and blowing threw my turbo and destroying it if it was in the in the uppipe or near cylinder #3...
Exactly, so who the hell came up with the bright idea to tell people to DEDUCT 250 from the temp. Now we've got people who are running hotter than they actually think they are.

The chances of an EGT sensor melting off or coming apart and flying into the turbo are slim to none. You've got a better chance of your pre-cat coming to pieces and destroying your turbo and engine.

Blue
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,020 Posts
i dunno where the minus 250 came from....the further away you get from the cylinder the colder the gas is going to get...

as far as the egt probe breaking off...i understand that it is slim to none but i'd rather be safe than sorry....besides i know that i can add 250 to the temp on my gauge to get an accurate temp ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Sorry, I should have been more clear. If you install the probe on the downpipe, we typically have measured EGT's about 250 less than if you installed it in the manifold.

As for the EGT probe breaking, the chances are much greater than slim to none..all depends whose EGT probe/guage you are using. If its an Apex'i or worse yet, Autometer, they actually break all the time due to the sheer length of them. The GReddy/Defi (same unit) and HKS ones are all nice and short, so no flex, and as such, I have never seen one break apart.

Adam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,020 Posts
makes me feel a little better that i have the defi :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Actually, you are far better off doing the GReddy in the manifold. Aside from the unusually long EGT probe, the Autometer's 9at last check) only read to around 1600 degrees F which is around 50 to 100degrees hotter than a good solid tune (again, datalogged, etc.). The GReddy reads to 1200C, so has a much broader scope, making it much more accurate between each temperature as well. As for cost? A tad more than Autometer (and much better quality)

Adam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Z1 Performance said:
Actually, you are far better off doing the GReddy in the manifold. Aside from the unusually long EGT probe, the Autometer's 9at last check) only read to around 1600 degrees F which is around 50 to 100degrees hotter than a good solid tune (again, datalogged, etc.). The GReddy reads to 1200C, so has a much broader scope, making it much more accurate between each temperature as well. As for cost? A tad more than Autometer (and much better quality)

Adam
Yes sir! I went with the Greddy (electronic w/ memory) and installed in the manifold. God I love that thing........ was well worth the money!

Blue
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top