Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I did tons of research and am still having a hard time deciding on what engine management to get. Obviously, the Utec is the superior setup, but is more expensive. I can get a used unichip and have it dyno tuned and still have alittle left over for the price of the Utec. I'm not looking at heavily modding my car. Turbo back exhaust, uppipe, samco intercooler hoses, Profec-B EBC, and [email protected] filter is what I have so far and don't plan on anything else, at least for awhile. I'd really appreciate some opinions on this!!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
UTEC. Knock detection/timing retard, multiple maps, DATALOGGING, user adjustable, doubles as an EBC with new firmware (closed loop boost control)... NO QUESTION/COMPARISON.

That being said, wanna buy my Unichip for cheap? :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
I bought a top-of-the-line home CD player once - it had all the bells and whistles, and cost about $300 more than the one I needed - which was one that I could plug in and it'd play.

The UTEC has some pretty cool features. Most of it's cool features you'll never use if you're not the kind of person to play with your car.

As you're not planning on modding your car any further at this point, even better than the unichip or UTEC is the EcuTEK. You can install your new ecu and be done with it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, actually, I just called GRD performance and they are going to start doing the ECU reflash in the end of February. So I think I'm going to go and do that. I basically just want to get my mods dyno tuned in, get it running good and leave it alone. A few years down the road I'd like to do all the real power upgrades, turbo, injectors, etc., then I'll look at something like the Utec or better. Till then I think I'll just settle with the reflash, which I've heard good things as long as your not too modded. If there's anyone who's had this done, please let me how it is!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was planning use a mbc set at 15.5 (i only have 91 octane) till i got my suspension done and got a turbo back and a few other power mods then upgrade to a ebc. If i just get a UTEC and tune it, will i need still need to get a ebc or does UTEC takecare of all of my boost needs. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
432 Posts
The UTEC has total control over the factory EBC even in closed loop (with the new software download, v2.5). A week or two and I should finally have my UTEC so I can see what this VF34 can really do.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had my UTEC for a few weeks now. Two BIG advantages to the UTEC are it's knock detection/notification and datalogging.

I've heard people who have switched from the Unichip to the UTEC say they were probably experiencing detonation and just never knew it. The UTEC flashes the CEL when it detects knock.

If you decide on the Unichip at least factor in the cost of a knock-link too. Although there are many people who claim that the knock-link is not very good on our subbie motors.

Datalogging is very nice because I never have to guess what the car is doing.

If you can afford the UTEC, I would highly recommend it. It really is worth every penny of the extra money in my opinion. Owning a UTEC is like having 7 Unichips (one for each map), Knock Link, and Delta Dash (albiet not as fully featured) all in one.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
If you get a UTEC figure out it's really like a:

Unichip $700
EBC $450
Knocklink ? ($200?)

Wow... Not a bad deal, THEN you can factor in it's tunability! Awesome...

Wish I had the green! That's the way I'd go.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Man I want a UTEC so bad. How much does it REALLY help a bone stock WRX? I mean just plugging it in? What's typical?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Just plugging it in on a bone stock WRX won't help any more than a Unichip that can be had for $500+ less.

www.turboxs.com states +35hp with it's Stage 1 kit (UTEC + resonator removal). I'd think you would see the same results with their stage 1 Unichip...

·
Registered
167 Posts
i just picked up a used unichip for $200 shipped :)

once i get the plug and play harness i'll try it out, i dont wanna cut up any wiring and i want to be able to remove it on-the-fly

with the utec, can you have it set up so you can also remove it on the fly?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Great deal on the Unichip! The UTEC is set up so as to be easily removable. 10 minutes max. No cutting or splicing.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i would still kill for a good deal on a utec, but the fact that the 2003's are hard to find makes it a very difficult search

the unichip i got off of the for sale forum at nasioc :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
could be possible since weather will really affect what the engine is doing by playing with air temperatures and pressures. utec at least has different maps that can be used, possibly one for cold weather and one for regular or hot weather

lucky for me in southern california the weather is pretty constant, never cold enough to snow and only very occassionally hot enough to fry eggs on your hood, usually it's in the 50's at night and the 70's or 80's in the day

·
Registered
86 Posts
I live in Colorado(high altitude and cold weather) and have not had any cold starts with my stage 2 unichip.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've got a TXS stage 2 for sale...PNP harness, aux. boost controller, mounting hardware, and instructions.

Runs like a champ.

$375 shipped. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
How does the utec control boost??? Isn't still using the stock boost controller? Doesn't that put a limit on how high you can actually set the boost for the turbo since the stock controller is still controlling it??

Also, what is the difference between running a good boost controller like the Blitz SBC I-d and the utec? Does the utec just have control over multiple things like the air/fuel ratio?

Lotta questions....sorry :D

Peace!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm sold on the UTEC. Everywhere I've read how much you get for the money you pay. Even if I'm not interested in all the features right now, just knowing how it datalogs and keeps track of everything is just great!

I'm VERY interested in the TurboXS Stage 2 kit. Anyone know who has the best deal on that right now???

Thanks in advance....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts