ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on getting the utec because I plan to have close to 500 hp sometime soon and was wondering when you get it does it come with maps or do you have to download the base maps to it and when you set it with the basemap do you have to tune it anymore or will it be fine at the base map? Also is there any upgrades you have to get or anything? And has anyone ever had anyone had any major problems with these because I want the power just dont want the major problems? Thanks for any help! :confused:

·
Banned
1,637 Posts
Well, here is some info for you.

1. The UTEC comes loaded with a factory map, a valet map, and a stage 1 map. If you buy it new from a vendor they can typically program it with the appropriate base map (stage 1-4).

2. Tuning of the base maps is very highly recommended. If you plan to make 500hp you WILL need to tune the UTEC.

3. There are no necessary upgrades to add a UTEC to your car (though a boost gauge and EGT gauge are recommended) and wnat to run stage one. Of course, further stages will require the supporting mods.

4. There are no major problems with the UTEC software/hardware that I am aware of. There are a couple of minor bugs, but nothing that should harm your car. A word of warning, though, if you start making 500hp you will eventually break things. The WRX was never intended to handle that kind of power. For that kind of hp you will need a built block, possibly ported or upgraded heads, a new tranny, possibly new difs and new axles. That's on top of all of the necessary turbo, exhaust, fuel, cooling, and intercooling upgrades.

I don't want to dissuade you from a fun project, but if I were looking to make 500hp fairly reliably on a daily driver I would look for a different platform than the WRX.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts