ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who has a utec system in there car would you mind telling me if you like or not and is it high maitnace like having to tune it all the time.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I really like mine.. but I really enjoy learning by just doing.

To be honest, yes... it does take a long time to figure out exactly what you are doing and why you are doing it. But once you figure it out, you'll have learned a ton about your car and you'll be able to see power increases as you learn to tune.

You will need an old crappy laptop. There is really no way to get anything done without one. You'll also most likely need a WB 02 sensor.

IMO though its a lot more fun than buying an off the shelf map just because there is always something to tinker with if you feel like it.

But you can also pretty much tune a car from a basemap in a couple hours and leave it for the life of the car if you wanted.

You dont HAVE to tinker everytime you get in the car... I just do :D

Rob

·
Registered
272 Posts
I too was a little warry about the constant tuning issue with the UTEC until I actually got a hold of one a month ago. The UTEC does NOT go bonkers when the weather changes and trust me, here in the midwest, the weather, humidity and barometric pressure is constantly changeing day by day and I have had no issues at all. As far a drivability goes, there is a little more to be desired, at least in my case. On my stage 3 right now w/FMIC, the throttle is not as smooth as stock but pretty d#mn smooth none the less. I would not expect perfection from a base map anyway. Where the UTEC really shines is when you get the thing proffessionaly tuned or take the time to learn and tune it yourself. Ask any one on the board, like ebr0t, and I'll guarantee they will tell you it's the best bang for the buck youll get out of your car.

·
Registered
926 Posts
UTEC + UTEC TUNA = Teh bomb!! I love the UTEC due to the ability to tune multiple maps and have them selectible with the remote map selector as well. I have maps set up for low boost pump gas, aggressive pump gas, 100 octane, and 110 octane. That way as soon as I'm ready to turn the boost up, fill the car up with 100 or 110, flick the switch to four and i'm tuned up and ready to go. The wideband 02 makes it easy to tune your car aggressively, and also very safe. Being able to monitor your AFR's from 9.0:1 all the way to 25:1 makes sure you're not running too lean through the entire powerband. With the stock UTEC you could still run 11.9:1 on pump gas and be way too lean if you're on 91 or 92 octane and still register as "RICH". Get a wideband TUNA, the UTEC, and you will learn lots about your car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I really dont understand the point of the utec tuna because cant you tune it with just the utec system so what am i gaining by getting the tuna?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ferrarii52 said:
I guess I really dont understand the point of the utec tuna because cant you tune it with just the utec system so what am i gaining by getting the tuna?
The ability to tune your A/F ratio properly without having to sacrifice power to the unknown.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The UTEC lets you manage your fuel, timing, and boost.

Timing and boost values are easily attained and adjusted.

Air/Fuel values require a true wideband O2 to monitor at the precision required to tune a WRX.

The benefit of the UTEC Tuner "Tuna" is that is was designed with software that merges the UTEC data and the air/fuel information together to make very nice logs.

·
Registered
926 Posts
the readouts on the actual UTEC uses the stock "narrowband" 02 sensor reading that can only measure to 12:1 AFR, anything richer than that just registers as "RICH" on the datalog. With pump gas your wrx on 91 octane should run about 10.5:1AFR with full boost tapering up to 10.8ish at redline. With 93octane you can tune to about 11:1AFR. Obvoiusly the leaner you make your car the more power it makes(if properly tuned). So who knows, you could mess with your fuel numbers in the UTEC and be running 11.8:1 AFR and without an EGT gauge(to read how hot the egt's are, leaning your car out makes the EGT's increase) or a proper wideband you could be causing serious harm to your car and could possibly even melt something if you're not careful.

Take it from me, i had the UTEC alone for about 2 months and LOVED the power increase but decided I wanted more power because i couldn't touch my fuel maps. I purchased the wideband so now I can safely add alot more power to my car! It's the best purchase I made on my car. I ran a [email protected] with an un-tuned fuel map at our local track. Now that I am tuned I am hoping to make it to the track in the next week or two to see how much better my car will perform. I know my butt dyno and performance in street races have been very good so far. We'll see soon!! STAY TUNED!!(no pun intended hardeeharhar)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts