ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me if a you need to have EBC with a utec would it be better having EBC with a utec or no??

·
Registered
390 Posts
No, you do not need one. I think it's better (easier) to use an ebc with the utec. I'm running a Blitz SBC-id ebc with my utec and it works great.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VF22WRX

i have perrin downpipe uppipe and hks catback
im planing to run the utec with ebc to and im planing just to run stage 2 do i have to do something with the map because im going to be using a EBC??

·
5,799 Posts
Part of the limitation of the UTec boost control is that it relies upon the OEM solenoid. Among other things, this has problems bleeding the necessary amount of boost signal with some setups. When I had my Utec (granted, that was some time ago) TurboXS provided a bandaid solution to this in the form of a mechanical bleeder device.

Some EBCs come with more capable boost solenoids - notably the Blitz dual-solenoid units. For mild setups, the Utec control is likely adequate.

-pace

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks
pace

i have a
perrin downpipe
perrin uppipe
HKS CF catback
Unorthodox crank pully

can i run utec stage 2 ?? with no problem ??

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Stage 2 with utec should be fine even on the stock solenoid and abc setup.

I didn't even switch to the sbc-id until I was on my most recent turbo, but wish I had earlier. Its got excellent boost control and improved the fluctuation I had before.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I recently purchased a utec from ebay and the seller did not include much of the accesories including the boost control. i currently have a mbc... im pretty sure that i will not be able to run that with the utec. I just need someone to comfirm this. thanks

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
there seems to be quite a conflict with this topic.

I can say that the professional tuners I have discussed this with (2 well respected) said the EBC w/ UTEC is a dangerous set-up. Meaning that the UTEC won't control the boost, which may lead to lean conditions during cruising (FBPT).

Some say that their set-up works fine and that the ebc does a much better job holding boost.

Some say the UTEC does a fine job using the FBC (stock) alone.

I'm still on the fence because I';ve just heard such great things about the blitz unit. The tuner I want to use doesn't like the idea of using my Blitz SBC-ID (and Power Meter) w/ the UTEC. Neither has been installed yet...

I've pretty much given up on getting a definitive answer. I plan to just run the UTEC and see if it's all I want. At that point someone in this club is going to get a great deal on a SBC-ID+Power meter setup.

Hg.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
QuickSilver said:
there seems to be quite a conflict with this topic.

I can say that the professional tuners I have discussed this with (2 well respected) said the EBC w/ UTEC is a dangerous set-up. Meaning that the UTEC won't control the boost, which may lead to lean conditions during cruising (FBPT).

I don't have a utec (I run ecutek), but have leanred recently that there is new software for the utec that allows for part throttle full boost tuning, so it isn't a dangerous thing anymore... but why anyone would put up with ptfb in the first place is beyond me... I know that ebc's have really fast boost response though, which might explain why people use them

·
Registered
656 Posts
Ludeless213 said:
I recently purchased a utec from ebay and the seller did not include much of the accesories including the boost control. i currently have a mbc... im pretty sure that i will not be able to run that with the utec. I just need someone to comfirm this. thanks
do this and you will be happy. no abc needed:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478896

·
Registered
348 Posts
^^^after reading thred I've ordered the part. Looks like a good solution to one of my problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts