ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i were to buy a wrx that was previously married to an accesport but was never unmarried, can i buy my own accessport and be good to go, or would there be a problem?

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
Might be best to contact Cobb about that. Not having dealt with a car that was without ap (usually its the other way around) .. not completely sure on that. Cobb will know and will be able to set you straight.

Reactions: The Mechanic

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dont have a wrx yet. Just worried i would buy one and the owner would lie and say he never had an accessport. Then i would try to hook mine up and it wouldnt let me because he never unmarried his. Thanks for the response though. Conatacting cobb is probably the best idea.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I'm not sure if a new AP can be used, however the AP started "locking out" the ECU in 2008.

RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | Documentation / Rom Raider FAQ
"Q What if my ECU already has an Ecutek custom tune, Cobb Protuner custom tune or a Cobb off-the-shelf Accessport map? How will they work with RomRaider and EcuFlash?

Sometime in 2006, Ecutek included a mandatory lock-out feature with their flashes, which prevents the reading or flashing of the ECU, except with Ecutek software by the commercial tuner. That completely prevents you from using RomRaider/EcuFlash to tune with. Your only option would be to have an Ecutek dealer flash the ECU back to stock.

Sometime in 2008, Cobb also began locking out the ECU after a firmware update to their Accessport version 2. This prevents you from reading/flashing the ROM with EcuFlash and possibly even logging with RomRaider. In order to use EcuFlash, you must unmarry the Accessport from the ECU. Even if you own an Accessport version 1, it is not recommended that you use EcuFlash/RomRaider to tune a Cobb ROM due to the way Cobb has setup up their real-time tuning. "

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O that helps thanks. At least i know i always have the ability to get back to stock if a problem like this were to occur. :)

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
O that helps thanks. At least i know i always have the ability to get back to stock if a problem like this were to occur. :)
What I posted doesn't indicate that you can, at least with ECUFlash. I'd like to know what Cobb says about this - I think I recall you may have to send them the ECU for a charge.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Like Mycologist said,I do not think it is possible to get a new AP & load your own map if the ECU has already been married to another AP.There was a thread earlier about how someone had his AP stolen from the car & had to contact Cobb to have them fix the issue.

But like mango said,you could just call or email Cobb to make sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts