Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello community I am looking to join the Subaru club very soon with my first purchase of a WRX. My question is would it be a wiser decision to buy a newer or used Subaru WRX. I am looking at the newer ones that released from the 2015 year range on. I have bought many cars in the past to include new ones and used ones. I am considering used because of the lower cost to buy but have been reading a lot about properly breaking the engine in so my concern is if I bought a used one would I later run into issue because someone didn't break the engine in the right way. I know of course this is a very hard question to give a straight answer to because of all of the factors to consider but I am more so just trying to see thoughts/views/opinions for either decision. I am not doing a private seller buy so the car will come from a reputable dealership. My plan is to buy a WRX over the STI and use as a DD with occasional public road spirited driving but not going to the track or street racing. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,819 Posts
Since they hold their value there is little to be saved buying used. Also, the used cars have a serious fault that affects reliability and everyday use: "expert" owners. I'd buy new.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since they hold their value there is little to be saved buying used. Also, the used cars have a serious fault that affects reliability and everyday use: "expert" owners. I'd buy new.
Yeah this is exactly why I asked because I don't want to be the victim of someone else's abusive driving. This will be my first Subaru so I likely won't be the best at this either.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not to slander ALL WRX owners but more than a few of us are in yahoos who think they're in a fast & furious movie. The dealer riding with me on my test drive warned me he was jumpy because he was recently in a bad accident on a test driv where the kid he was riding with totaled A new STI.

I'd say a used wrx has an above average risk of abuse. Heck even one with a few test drive miles may have been abused. If you can find the right deal it may be worth the risk. Even accepting you may be replacing the clutch early could still be worth it. My pick was buying new but there are a couple times I think I should have saved $8000 and bought the 1yr old FRS I looked at... (Most cars I wanted had major redesign in 15/16 and weren't available used)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not to slander ALL WRX owners but more than a few of us are in yahoos who think they're in a fast & furious movie. The dealer riding with me on my test drive warned me he was jumpy because he was recently in a bad accident on a test driv where the kid he was riding with totaled A new STI.

I'd say a used wrx has an above average risk of abuse. Heck even one with a few test drive miles may have been abused. If you can find the right deal it may be worth the risk. Even accepting you may be replacing the clutch early could still be worth it. My pick was buying new but there are a couple times I think I should have saved $8000 and bought the 1yr old FRS I looked at... (Most cars I wanted had major redesign in 15/16 and weren't available used)
Im a little older so I dont quite have that itch to drive like a complete dummy but I still like to have the ability to drive it spiritedly when its safe to do. The test drove I did kind of caught me off guard since I wasnt used to a sporty performance awd car before but it also made me love the car from that feeling when we did get a little boost kick in.

I'd go used with 10k miles or less private sale. With such low miles all a dealer is doing is washing it and marking it up 3 grand to sell to you.
I found brand new base models for the same price of a used premium. I like the added features but they arnt a must. At this point deciding to go base and add the features I want later on

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
There isn't any argument for buying used.
Out of curiosity, you're saying that about his stated year range (2015+), or about any sort of used car purchase?

·
Super Moderator
11,761 Posts
Because of the rice tax these vehicles have the better value would still be new. Longer warranty period. Your mileage may vary on locations, but near me they cost as much used as new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Because of the rice tax these vehicles have the better value would still be new. Longer warranty period. Your mileage may vary on locations, but near me they cost as much used as new.

Yeah I noticed that too which is why it does seem like might as well go new. Guess the hit you take on depreciation isnt so bad in these vehicles

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Depending on how you play your cards. A trade in will always kill you on a recent car.

Im not going to trade in for the WRX if that was what you were referring too. My plan was get it do some small cosmetic mods and stereo upgrade then after a few years if im still loving it wait for the next gen and get a higher model. Unless its a while before they put out the next gen. I dont think the STI will ever be a choice unless they improve gas millage. Im kind of excited to see how the type r pans out.

·
Super Moderator
11,761 Posts
I mean the people who buy them and trade them in a year or two, a dealer will give you depreciation, private parties will usually shell out cash money far beyond the fair market value because of the thought the cars are rare.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I got my 2012 WRX used (in 2013) with 15K miles, properly broken in, flawless, no problems whatsoever. At the time it was hard to find new WRX's and I found the vehicle I liked at a price I could live with, so no regrets whatsoever.

This year I bought a new 2017 because there were quite a few new vehicles available, the price differential between new and used was only ~$2000, and I was really keen on getting a new one with a warranty (which I extended for a minuscule amount).

I guess my advice would be to find a price you like and make a judgment on whether you think the car has been taken care of properly. If you're not 100% comfortable, don't take the deal.

As stated, WRX's hold their value used exceptionally well, so buying used isn't nearly as attractive as with BMW for instance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got my 2012 WRX used (in 2013) with 15K miles, properly broken in, flawless, no problems whatsoever. At the time it was hard to find new WRX's and I found the vehicle I liked at a price I could live with, so no regrets whatsoever.

This year I bought a new 2017 because there were quite a few new vehicles available, the price differential between new and used was only ~$2000, and I was really keen on getting a new one with a warranty (which I extended for a minuscule amount).

I guess my advice would be to find a price you like and make a judgment on whether you think the car has been taken care of properly. If you're not 100% comfortable, don't take the deal.

As stated, WRX's hold their value used exceptionally well, so buying used isn't nearly as attractive as with BMW for instance.
Exactly the reason I started this thread Jeff. I does seem more like the logical choice to go brand new for all of the stated reasons but without having any experience with the car or brand figured it best asked the people who knew more then me.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I've bought mostly late model used cars in the past . . . but with the WRX I wanted to go new . . . and in fact the last few vehicles I have bought have been new. While I used to be all about the price tag, I have reached the point financially where the price tag alone isn't the only reason I have been buying new . . .

Here's why . . .

* In general, you will get better financing rates and terms with new car loans vs. used car loans. Granted, sometimes the difference is negligible and a lot depends on your credit rating, but I've found as of late I have been better off to go new with the better rates. And truthfully, by giving a hefty downpayment the payments have been quite affordable.

* New cars take a bigger hit in appreciation vs. buying used . . . but in my case I tend to hold on to my cars for a fairly long time so this isn't as big a deal to me vs. the guy who may be buying a new car every two or three years. This kinda balances out though against WRXs which hold their value in the used car market -- but this is a two-sided sword since it also means you may not save as much money buying a used WRX vs. buying new (when I was in the car buying process I found the difference to be $2,000-$3,000 . . . which isn't chump change, but when balanced out against other factors made no difference to me.)

* Longer warranty. Here in Maine the typical used car warranty is something like 30-90 days (I forget the exact terms and they may vary with the dealer) . . . compare that to the typical 3 year-36,000 mile warranty (and longer engine/transmission warranty) and there is a little more peace of mind.

* Peace of mind . . . knowing exactly how the car was driven (whether by a little old lady who just drove it to church on Sundays or by some would be rally car racer), maintained (whether by a car lover who made sure the car's maintenance schedule was followed to the letter or by some guy who could barely afford the payments and only managed to do a single oil change while he owned the car) and broke in (whether it was by a guy who kept it under 4,000 rpm for the first 1,000 miles or some guy who tore out of the lot with the car going sideways and the rpm needle buried in the red.) For me, a guy who values reliability and plans to keep this car for a long time, this was a big check in the "Buy New" column.

Now all this being said . . . if you feel comfortable in assessing a used car and trust the dealer, I am sure there are used WRXs that will be reliable and trouble free. But for me, while I have no issue buying a used Accord, Celica, Legacy, etc., in this case I really wanted to buy a little extra reassurance of having a few years of trouble free driving . . . and so far . . . so good.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
I've bought mostly late model used cars in the past . . . but with the WRX I wanted to go new . . . and in fact the last few vehicles I have bought have been new. While I used to be all about the price tag, I have reached the point financially where the price tag alone isn't the only reason I have been buying new . . .
For my own (and my wife's cars), I've come to the same point, and for virtually the same reasons that you listed. We acquired two used cars, recently, for the kids' use, but they aren't recent models, so not the same thing we're talking about, here. I don't really have a "standing policy" about buying used or new. Each situation and need is different, so I figure out what's best for that. The 2004 RAV4 we recently bought was literally owned by a little old lady, with maintenance records, and 70K on the clock, so was absolutely worth the $7K we paid her, IMO. We've had it for 1-1/2 years, so far, so good.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought my 2015 used with 20k miles on it. Don't worry too much about the break in period. You know those lot attendants that work at the dealerships and move the cars to wash them and everything? They beat on your new car already. Subaru engineers are smarter than us; even if you red line the car that has 20 miles on it, nothing will be harmed.

I saved $6,500 on the car because of 20k miles. This is after negotiations.

I'd go used. It's a car, it's driven, it will have issues and need repairs eventually. But I value money and know that I'd rather have $6k making 8% for me while being invested versus paying interest on it like I would have with a new vehicle.

It's personal preference.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts