ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody got warranty from other parties than Subaru?
My credit unon has offered me Diamond protection (everything is covered) for 2 years, for $1700 + sales tax :rolleyes: with no deductible? Is it worth to take it?
I got 04 WRX, 66k miles, stock, 5 spd.

Are there any other options/warrants? Anybody has suggestions?
I think 17 hundred is a bit too much...

Just found this:
http://aaautowarranty.com/platinum.asp
$1500, 4 years or up to 126k miles, $100 deductible

·
Registered
905 Posts
do you plan on doing any modifying to it? if so, youd be voiding major chunks of warranty, thus throwing money down the drain.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, maybe Catback, short shifter... At least that's my thoughts for now...
Is there anything what usually needs to be replaced in WRX between 66 and 100 k miles? I mean something what happend's to almost every Wrx.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
The best aftermarket warranty company I know of is WarrantyDirect.com. They're pretty competitive price-wise too.

I wouldn't get a warranty on a Subaru though, they're pretty darn reliable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
the warranty i got on my wagon was worthless. didnt realize at the time that it only covered broken parts, not worn down parts. so right now im stuck with something making noise in my trans that is not covered because it is not broken yet, just "worn down" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
As a technician i have have mixed results dealing with aftermarket warranties. One dealer i worked at sold their own, which covered a bunch without much hassle. They were more concerned about customer satisfaction. Others sold by banks and finance companies seem to be more critical of complaints, vehicle use, maintenance and parts covered. The adjuster will scrutinize everything meticulously, prolonging repairs, requiring a rental which usually isnt covered. There is no warranty that covers "everything". Furthermore your car with 66k most likely wont need a "covered" repair in the term period. Even if it did, you still probably wouldnt even cover the cost of the warranty.

If it were me, i'd skip it.

Bewbs

·
Registered
0 Posts
i wouldnt get it

·
Registered
0 Posts
As a technician i have have mixed results dealing with aftermarket warranties. One dealer i worked at sold their own, which covered a bunch without much hassle. They were more concerned about customer satisfaction. Others sold by banks and finance companies seem to be more critical of complaints, vehicle use, maintenance and parts covered. The adjuster will scrutinize everything meticulously, prolonging repairs, requiring a rental which usually isnt covered. There is no warranty that covers "everything". Furthermore your car with 66k most likely wont need a "covered" repair in the term period. Even if it did, you still probably wouldnt even cover the cost of the warranty.

If it were me, i'd skip it.

Bewbs
+1, i also worked in the car business. not to mention that $1700 is a fairly steep price as far as these go.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
I wouldn't get it. Those warranties are more often then not a sham. When something breaks, the shop has to jump through 50 hoops in order to determine "fault" of the occurance. Then after a ton of paper work and pleading, they MAY get the green light for the repairs.

I can give you 2 examples to illustrate my point:

99 s10 (bought used in 2001)

1. My friend bought the 100k mile diamond platinum $1700 extended bumper to bumper warranty. Her truck started sounding funny within a few weeks of purchase so she took it to the dealer. They told her nothing was wrong. She brings it to me. I do a thorough inspection and find:

3 blown struts
leaking exhaust manifold with blown gasket (read missing)
trans leak
puking oil pan gasket
rear end diff cover leak

So I wrote up the issues on the family auto business stationary and sent her on her way. Dealer kept her truck for 2 days without a loaner car and did the following.

Denied the struts as they are a "wear item"

Denied the exhaust manifold cause "exhaust items" were not covered.

Found no "trans leak" yet the pan was inexplicably wiped clean with solvent:rolleyes:

The oil pan required engine removal for gasket replacement, so there fix was to grab an entire tube of gray silicone sealant, clean the surface with solvent and "paste" the leak shut. Think a 1/2" layer of silicone smeared across the entire front half of the block to the point that it appeared they had "bondo'd" the oil pan seam to the block.....absolutely horrid.

The rear end had been cleaned off as well and she was told her truck was "fixed"

2. Buddy bought a 97 fullsize Chevy Z71 in 2002. Bought a different "Diamond platinum woohoo warranty". His transmission blows. He has several faulty o2 sensors.

They take the truck in and he waits for an answer, he gets a call back saying they are still trying to "source" a transmission. What he found out later ladies and gents was that the "fine print" of that $1700 warranty stipulated that junk yard parts could be used to fix your car. So by "sourcing" they were still trying to find a junk yard transmission. Lucky for him there wasn't one to be had at that time so they replaced it with a factory one.

O2 sensors were denied as "wear items"

So my Advice is Buyer Beware.

Interesting to note, I purchased "Mechanical breakdown coverage " through GEICO when I bought my car for an additional $50 a year. It lowers the glass deductible to $50 and covers against mechanical breakdown same as an extended warranty does. I haven't had to use it, but I read the fine print and talked to the representative about it. Seems to me it is handled same as a body damage claim. You do not have to take it to the dealership, you can take it to a shop of your choice who submits an estimate to geico for approval. If its anything like dealing with them in the case of an auto accident, it has potential to be a very pleasurable experience. Oh FYI they market it as an alternative to aftmkt warranties.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, after reading all posts: I'm not taking it... It seams like a lot of money, for not much worth warranty for: "Pretty damn reliable car" :)
Thank everybody for help:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts